Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Duane & Brian May

Ahh, the Red Special. Hand made by Brian and his Dad.

Now there are photos and photos , but these are particularly great photos , of two guitar greats. - How we would love to hear Duane and Brian playing something together ! - Brian May is also well known and respected in the UK , for the sterling work he does . - In championing animal welfare issues !!

Sorry for not posting earlier, we really had the best time. Brian kindly invited us to their show in Nashville last Wednesday. He and Duane talked like old friends for more than an hour prior to the spectacular two hour show. Queen with Adam Lambert, hit after hit...amazing lights, stage and the best live massive arena sound ever.

Yes, the Red Special. He explained every inch of its construction, and gave Duane one of his picks...he only uses old English sixpence coins!

I don't know how to get the "copyright Deed Eddy 2017" onto my photos, which are the three in the first post. Anyone?

Sorry for not posting earlier, we really had the best time. Brian kindly invited us to their show in Nashville last Wednesday. He and Duane talked like old friends for more than an hour prior to the spectacular two hour show. Queen with Adam Lambert, hit after hit...amazing lights, stage and the best live massive arena sound ever.

Yes, the Red Special. He explained every inch of its construction, and gave Duane one of his picks...he only uses old English sixpence coins!

I don't know how to get the "copyright Deed Eddy 2017" onto my photos, which are the three in the first post. Anyone?

– Deed Eddy

Was it an old sixpence or one of the ones a fan had minted with Brian's head on it?

Oh to be a fly in the wall in that room. This is the epitome of cool!

Great pix. We saw Queen with Adam Lambert in Minneapolis last month. Great show. Even though no one could replace Freddy Adam Lambert was pretty close.

Brian looks thrilled to have Duane checking out his guitar.

– Deed Eddy

Deed , do tell us , is it possible that Duane and Brian could light the music world up and play something together ?

Deed, if all of your posts of the photos carried the legend along the lines "copyright, all rights reserved to photographer" you're okay. It need not be ON the photo, in Kentucky, just with all occurrences of it.

I generally have no problem whatsoever with the photos I've taken over the years, but once in a while one will turn up in a publication without credit. It's silly, but it bugs me just a tiny bit. All y'all here can have at them, I put them up here for all to enjoy.

And thanks, Olivia Anne, very kind of you.

Will this work???

Deed, it looks like this might work - I used Microsoft Paint to open the photo, added the text and then saved the file as a JPEG. But if you are using a Mac........???

Some people will crop out the copyright statement. Unfortunately there is widespread, profound ignorance of both copyright law and what constitutes plagiarism (editor's rant warning). I suggest a copyright statement which indicates that permission is granted to reproduce the photo, but not if it is reproduced for profit, only if Deed is given credit. Who would violate those terms? Only someone seeking profit. Not someone who is simply ignorant.

Ok...I think I've got it now. Beautiful 6120 seen last week in Lubbock.

I know the above pics are unrelated to the thread,sorry for that. But I'm so excited that I can finally post pictures that I just had to put them somewhere!

Also, very classy quote: "Wish my dad could have seen him play."

Yes he did...note thumb pick.

And with a sixpence coin...

I'd love to hear Duane's impressions. And though so different from what we're used to...I gotta say, it looks good on him!

Anyway, I've only ever heard that Brian May is a gent. And a clearly interesting and talented man, both as a musician and scientist. Nice to hear another one. I don't need artists to be kind people to enjoy their art. But it's always so nice to hear that they are.

PS Deed. Do you mind if I post this one to my facebook page? I have several friends who would appreciate it.

That's very fitting because Duane is a very nice gentleman too.

Giants stride the earth. The King of Twang and Queen's Doctor of Fretospheric Orchestration: could their approaches to the guitar, the music of their respective times, have been more different?

Could we put two guys in a room together who've had more individual (and diverse) impact on the way guitar is heard and played, or carved out more distinctive trails into new musical possibilities?

That's generations of innovation right there. Roots and branches, foundation and spire. Founding fathers, intrepid explorers, elder statesmen...I don't know, the metaphors break down.

Another demonstration of the high regard and mutual respect great players - of whatever era, genre and style - have for each other.

Also, two more complete gentlemen could not have been in the same room together. The sense of grace and goodwill must have been practically transformative. Sheer class.

Still: Duane playing the Red Special! A little cognitive dissonance to start the day and yank me out of lazy habits of thought, eh? Imagine the musical galaxies colliding! Did Dr. May hold the 6120? Senses reel!

I don't know if this is the coolest thing ever - beyond a threshold, comparison gets pointless - but it's as cool as it gets. None more cool.

Great pics, Deed. Legends meet in a small room with a velour couch and ceiling tiles, and a plastic cup. Myth, surrounded by everyday reality. It's all a grand mystery.

Thanks for letting us in on it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation