Duane Eddy's House of Twang

DE Signature Six String Bass Guitar at NAMM!!

Is it ideal for "knack bass" maybe? (the k is not silent in this word)

As Played by Ladi Geisler in the Bert Kaempfert orchestra.

I'm still curious how one can get that signature plunky bass sound. you need plectrum I think. There is much writing about this. Some say you need a double bass for the sustain and knack pluck for the attack. Other say just one electric bass can do this.

I'm always very interested in instruments that are a bit different. This DE 6 Bass is way cool. I congratulate Duane and Gretsch for making this happen.

How cool is that, Duane Eddy, 80 years old this year I believe and his 60th Aniversary music wise and still rockin with signature guitars and now the new one, looks great both the man and guitar.

Great long note, Walter.

You are correct that Duane used his Dano for an album. His third, The Twang’s The Thang, was the one: all bar two tracks were the Dano. Take a listen to Tiger Love And Turnip Greens.

Deed: thanks for posting the story. It really is a cool guitar for which Duane can be justifiably proud.

My previous band has recorded "Tiger Love" Richard!

We have a real lack of consistency in terminology. Billy Zoom clarified it in my mind by pointing out that a bass such as a Precision Bass or a Jazz Bass is an Electric Bass while the Dano or Bass VI would more accurately be a Bass Guitar. A 5 or 6 string bass with a long scale and wide fingerboard would be, in my mind, an Electric Bass. The Duane Eddy bass, I believe, is a 30" scale, so I would call it a Bass Guitar unless it is tuned to a higher tuning such as B to b in which case it would be a Baritone Guitar. Clear as mud, right?

I can see the arguments on either side about Duane's new guitar being a baritone or bass guitar. One thing for sure: it's a really Boss Guitar.

We have a real lack of consistency in terminology. Billy Zoom clarified it in my mind by pointing out that a bass such as a Precision Bass or a Jazz Bass is an Electric Bass while the Dano or Bass VI would more accurately be a Bass Guitar. A 5 or 6 string bass with a long scale and wide fingerboard would be, in my mind, an Electric Bass. The Duane Eddy bass, I believe, is a 30" scale, so I would call it a Bass Guitar unless it is tuned to a higher tuning such as B to b in which case it would be a Baritone Guitar. Clear as mud, right?

– Don Birchett

Not complicated at all. If it looks like a guitar, and has guitar style pickups and such, it's not intended as a proper bass, but as a danelectro style six string bass or a baritone. You could think of it as a low tuned, longer scale guitar, and the availability of different strings sets for them these days give you liberty in the tuning dept.

Back when electric bass was still referred to as "Fender Bass" on session sheets and sleeve notes, an upright bass was a bass, an electric bass was a fender bass, and a Dano or Fender VI was a "bass guitar".

You can look at string spacing for intended audience. If it's got a standard guitar bridge with the strings close together, it's targeted to guitar players. If it's got wide string spacing and the bridge is 3+ inches wide, it's targeted to bass players.

I like lx's definition the most - this is a boss guitar!

I'm still waiting for a White Falcon version

Explaining the tic tac bass sound and where it began. It was a great afternoon, GDPers all over the place. Thank, guys. And gals xx

Hey, so I've been away from the Gretsch Pages for a minute, but I saw this ad for this just last night and got so excited. I figured there'd be something here, and I sure was hoping to hear from Deed, and look!

I've been playing my Jerry Jones baritone a lot lately, but I was thinking I needed a baritone with either a Mastery or a Bigsby. And along came this magic twanger.....

Packed house in the Gretsch Namm booth today for Duane Eddy and the unveiling of his 6-string Signature Bass! G6120TB-DE

Wow thanks , Tony , what a Saturday morning treat here in the UK ! - The unique Duane Eddy sound just gets better and better , his Gretsch 6 string bass puts to much meaning into a classic ' twangy ' renaissance !!

Is this Custom Shop or MIJ? How much are they gonna cost? What colors will be available?

Fretboard Journal writes today...Five Things We Loved at NAMM

Made my day, that’s for sure.

And Johnny Atomic, this will be manufactured in Japan. The color is Black Pearl lacquer with Ghost Grey G brand.

The great 'new' guitar aside - how cool was it to see Duane enjoying himself and the crowd responding so well. Wish I could have been there.

And Johnny Atomic, this will be manufactured in Japan. The color is Black Pearl lacquer with Ghost Grey G brand.

– Deed Eddy

I'm nearly always an internationalist where trade is concerned , however Deed I will venture to ask , " Why will the guitar be manufactured in Japan and not America ? "

I'm nearly always an internationalist where trade is concerned , however Deed I will venture to ask , " Why will the guitar be manufactured in Japan and not America ? "

– lesdk

The Gretsch Pro-line guitars are made in Japan. The Gretsch Custom Shop build the only American Gretsch guitars today.

– Deed Eddy

Thanks for the reply!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation