Duane Eddy's House of Twang

British guitarist analyses Duane Eddy’s live TV performance in 1996!

So esoteric , so well presented ! - Duane's rendition of the great song , instrumentally could never be beaten ! - Its one we waited impatiently for , it had 50s stamped all over it !

Wow, a 2000 gallon water tank as a reverb unit, it shows incredible imagination, very clever engineering, and it sounds absolutely amazing! Duane is really putting a lot of expression into this timeless classic, I can feel the groove, thanks for posting this Tony. I watch Fil (Wings of Pegasus) all the time, and he has a way of communicating, that is easy and enjoyable to watch. He has a talent for picking up and explaining the techniques and expressions, of all types of guitarists. I'm very happy that he highlighted Duane Eddy in this analysis video, Duane is very special to us here on the GDP. I was utterly amazed that he and Deed were members here, when I first joined this forum. Way to go Duane, you are the best, great performance!

I have seen these reaction videos. Plenty of them by plenty of people, Useless as anything. Just more wasted internet space. Ya know, they say everyone has an opinion and everyone has an a*#hole, same logic works here. Just enjoy Duane's contribution . I would rather see more videos of Duane than some unknown hack

This guy does lots of these videos. One thing I’ve noticed is that he is very astute in finding the strongest characteristics of a guitarist’s playing and gives credit where credit is due. Younger players who grew up listening to machine-gun barrages of notes might be inclined to dismiss Duane’s playing as so spare as to be uninteresting. Fil rightly points out that the nuance and subtlety of the technique is everything. It’s gratifying to see that there is a healthy respect for important stylists like Duane Eddy, even if the playing might seem dated to some listeners.

As folks on the forum understand, stealing a bunch of tricks from Mr. Eddy is a part of being a complete guitarist. What we also understand is that even though he makes it look easy, it isn’t!

It’s so nice to see a legend getting the credit that he is due. I have endless respect for Duane, and now I have more for Fil.

It’s so nice to see a legend getting the credit that he is due. I have endless respect for Duane, and now I have more for Fil.

I think the kid is doing a useful service in this series. They're kinda tedious to watch, because duh, yeah Elvis and the Beatles and Duane could really play guitar...

But it's interesting to get the perspective of a bright and fair-minded much younger player, and to remember that he didn't grow up with these guitarists. He has to assimilate them, their eras, and their contributions from scratch. It's analogous to our discovering Son House, Robert Johnson, Charlie Christian, T-Bone Walker, etc when we were young rockers and didn't know them from Adam.

I think he does a great job of, first, understanding and appreciating what these players do - and, second, patiently and methodically introducing and interpreting them to other young guitarists who have a massive historical legacy to take on board as they discover the guitar. He seems engagingly earnest, he seems to really enjoy the playing, and he approaches them from the only honest perspective he can possibly have. I find him refreshing, and I hope he's finding an audience of the young players he's speaking to.

His descriptions and explanations are ploddingly tedious for me - we've all been through this material and are going "yeah duh, no kidding!" But we have to remember his age, and the audience he's addressing. It's a different world.

I struggle to watch him, he could for all I know be about to unlock the secrets of the universe but I'll never find out because I would have destroyed my laptop with the amount of drool coming from mouth as I snore my head off.

He's probably a very nice chap, likes animals and stuff but he kind of sucks the joy out the music for me.

It’s a different world now. Young people glued to their iPhones ( or whatever). You never see their faces, only the tops of their heads! These “ reaction videos” are extremely popular with the young people right now! Kids who are too busy looking at stuff like this and not embracing real life. Kinda sad. But I guess these things serve a purpose, and I’m glad he’s discussing Duane and Elvis and the more vintage stuff. Maybe some kid somewhere will actually put down the phone and grab a guitar and go “hmmm...I can do that....”

I think the kid is doing a useful service in this series. They're kinda tedious to watch, because duh, yeah Elvis and the Beatles and Duane could really play guitar...

But it's interesting to get the perspective of a bright and fair-minded much younger player, and to remember that he didn't grow up with these guitarists. He has to assimilate them, their eras, and their contributions from scratch. It's analogous to our discovering Son House, Robert Johnson, Charlie Christian, T-Bone Walker, etc when we were young rockers and didn't know them from Adam.

I think he does a great job of, first, understanding and appreciating what these players do - and, second, patiently and methodically introducing and interpreting them to other young guitarists who have a massive historical legacy to take on board as they discover the guitar. He seems engagingly earnest, he seems to really enjoy the playing, and he approaches them from the only honest perspective he can possibly have. I find him refreshing, and I hope he's finding an audience of the young players he's speaking to.

His descriptions and explanations are ploddingly tedious for me - we've all been through this material and are going "yeah duh, no kidding!" But we have to remember his age, and the audience he's addressing. It's a different world.

– Proteus

Aw, darn it all to heck. For in my mind, I still think of myself as a 20-something guitar slinger. The fact that I'm creeping toward 50 blows a fuse somewhere in my synapses and I fail to make that connection most of the time.

I played guitar for a guy who legit played with Sonny Boy Williamson who tried to stop Robert Johnson from drinking the whiskey that poisoned him. Any 20-something now wouldn't know who any of those people are.

I'll bet Fil does, and that in itself is refreshing.

I will always feel very fortunate to have seen Duane Eddy play at a Gretsch NAMM show a few years ago. Hearing his tone live was a revelation. He is able to produce the most full sounding, soul pleasing tone imaginable. His attention to detail is incredible. I was emotionally moved to say the least. It was one of those life changing events for me.

I also dig Fil's Batman T shirt.

Maybe we could sit Fil in a booth inside the barn at the Nashville Roundup, and he could provide streaming, real-time reactions to all of the proceedings.

Your article is very good, I have read many articles but I am really impressed with your posts. Thank you, I will review this article. To know about me, try talking to me: fireboy and watergirl

Maybe we could sit Fil in a booth inside the barn at the Nashville Roundup, and he could provide streaming, real-time reactions to all of the proceedings.

– JBGretschGuy

I like that idea....wait...You're almost 50? You've got Dick Clark genes.

So esoteric , so well presented ! - Duane's rendition of the great song , instrumentally could never be beaten ! - Its one we waited impatiently for , it had 50s stamped all over it !

– lesdk

He's British, I'd expect nothing less. One day he will be on the BBC with his own music program!

Just getting to watch this. I think it's great how he did all of the homework before doing this video. He really did Duane right.

Register Sign in to join the conversation