Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Another Duane spin on ‘ Sounds of the Sixties ’

"Break My Mind" apparently played on July 6 - I'm running at least two weeks behind, so can't confirm! But how great, after wishing for so long that they'd play something more obscure - can't get much more obscure than that, at least in the 60s! Always liked both this and "Lovingbird." Pat Boone's regarded as more of a vocalist than Duane but I've got PB's version of "Break My Mind," and reckon Duane's version's every bit as good!

Tony Blackburn not too complementary about Duane's singing . A little bit like the kettle calling the pot black ! ---- Our old mate Brian Matthew spun " Break My Mind " on Sounds of the Sixties a few years back ! - My request for the song got me a BBC copy . --- Last weeks show , using the theme of instrumentalists who actually sang on a disc . Also featured the great Jet Harris !

This week "Ballad of Paladin" played. What a great record. Every bit as good as the classic Jamie sides, in my view.

Indeed " Ballad of Paladin " is an extremely good record ! When Tony Blackburn played it I felt like emailing him and saying now lets have a proper weekly instrumental spot ! - Without curtailment for the news ! - At least a couple of tracks would not go amiss , then hearing a Duane hit or rarity would not be such a ' Sounds of the Sixties ' surprise !

Understand "(Dance with the) Guitar Man" played this last weekend (I'm forever several weeks behind in listening, so can't confirm). Good if true, but why that one yet again? - it's not representative of Duane's classic style, and there are so many great tracks that don't get played ...

Understand "(Dance with the) Guitar Man" played this last weekend (I'm forever several weeks behind in listening, so can't confirm). Good if true, but why that one yet again? - it's not representative of Duane's classic style, and there are so many great tracks that don't get played ...

– Simon Euan-Smith

Yes Tony Blackburn said something like it being a great song or Duane Eddy track ! - However now on ' Sounds of the Sixties ' its a case of being thankful for small mercies , where instrumentals are concerned . Why we can't have a feature each week devoted to 3 or more of them ! Including other instrumentalists and for a change some of Mr.Eddy's great ' B ' sides . - Like , " Theme For Moon Children " !

Tony Blackburn has just played " Because They're Young " on Sounds of the Sixties . - It sounds even better , with each passing year !!

Yes, brilliant track - but there are so many others that don't get played, and should be! A while ago they had a feature where they played the opening track of an album and asked "Is this the strongest track?" I wrote in and nominated "Sugarfoot Rag" - definitely my favourite Duane non-single track. (Having said that, I was in a junk shop in Athens in 1970 and found a Greek single - with Greek lettering! - of "Sugarfoot Rag," coupled with "Your Baby's Gone Surfing." It was chipped and worn, so I didn't buy it - I should have done!) Anyway, my request wasn't played - a few weeks ago, with the lockdown, Tony B invited listeners to send in requests (which, unlike Brian Matthew, he doesn't normally). So I asked for "Sugarfoot Rag" again, and guess what ...

Register Sign in to join the conversation