Duane Eddy's House of Twang

Another Duane spin on ‘ Sounds of the Sixties ’

So lucky to have had my third Duane Eddy request played on ' Sounds of the Sixties ' BBC radio UK . I love todays track , a great instrumental with a difference ! - " The Iguana " made todays show , thanks once again to the great broadcaster Brian Matthew !

Yep Brians programme this morning was very good and enjoyed the Duane track as you said with a difference and brightened up a gloomy stormy day here in the UK.

Yes, great to hear this overlooked track get some airplay (I was also delighted, a few years ago, to pick up an RCA "Greatest Hits" CD and find "The Iguana" there). That is a particularly good collection. Going back to the radio programme, who noticed an uncharacteristic Brian Matthew gaffe - after going through how Duane left Jamie for RCA, and was reunited with Lee Hazlewood, Brian said their first release since getting back together was "(Dance with the) Guitar Man" - overlooking the terrific "Deep in the Heart of Texas" and "Ballad of Paladin," two great 45s that both made the UK Top 20! Those two are up with the best of the Jamie hits, in my opinion.

Simon , you are quite right , Brian departed from the information I sent with my request. - From the time of its release , I thought " Deep in the Heart of Texas " would mean a continuation of the Jamie formula ! - I often think the show should be lengthened , to be ' Sounds of the Sixties and Fifties ' combined , to pick up Duane's early down to earth , gritty hits ! - Still, I still like the show and from the days of ' Saturday Club ' and before have been a sort of Matthew fan ! - By that I mean I like his very long established , style on the radio ! - I thought I stood a chance with " The Iguana " - because its very much one on its own !

I looked up the session info on "The Iguana." It was recorded on May 11, 1964 at the RCA Victor studio on Sunset Boulevard. There were two sessions that day. During the afternoon session Duane recorded "Tequila" and "Raunchy." "The Iguana" and the re-make of "Rebel Rouser" were recorded in the evening session.

Including Duane there were six guitarists present, the others being Al Casey, James Burton, Neil Levang, Bill Pitman, and Ray Pohlman. There were two drummers, Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer, with Larry Knechtel on piano and Jim Horn on sax. The trumpeters were Frank Beach and Anthony Terran.

Simon , you are quite right , Brian departed from the information I sent with my request. - From the time of its release , I thought " Deep in the Heart of Texas " would mean a continuation of the Jamie formula ! - I often think the show should be lengthened , to be ' Sounds of the Sixties and Fifties ' combined , to pick up Duane's early down to earth , gritty hits ! - Still, I still like the show and from the days of ' Saturday Club ' and before have been a sort of Matthew fan ! - By that I mean I like his very long established , style on the radio ! - I thought I stood a chance with " The Iguana " - because its very much one on its own !

– lesdk

Yes, it's a good tactic to request something unusual as opposed to a "Greatest Hit." Another good tactic is to ask for a request for the artiste's birthday, and send it in well in advance - I've found two months ahead generally works. All the requests I've had played on the programme have been for lesser-known numbers (including two for birthdays). And my first was for a Duane number - not for his birthday, but they used to have a feature entitled "Classically Pop," where they'd play something that derived from a classical tune. So I just had to write and ask for "The Story of Three Loves!" That's another terrific Duane record that seems to get overlooked ...

"(Dance with the) Guitar Man" played on the programme this week - almost made up for their ignoring my request to play "Bobbie" to celebrate Duane's birthday (I gave them plenty of notice, too)! The format's changed since Tony Blackburn took over - being a live show, he reads out a lot of messages and dedications, but I've yet to hear an instance of someone having a specific requested record played. That does involve the listener more - I've e-mailed them to point this out, so here's hoping!

And this week - just six weeks later - they played "Dance with the Guitar Man" again! Always great to hear Duane on the radio, of course, but wish they'd play some lesser-known numbers - album tracks, or some of the great singles that get overlooked. I've contacted them, anyway, with that suggestion - and ended by saying that if they want to stick to big hits, how about "Pepe" (only kept off the No 1 slot in the UK by Elvis). So here's hoping!

And this week - just six weeks later - they played "Dance with the Guitar Man" again! Always great to hear Duane on the radio, of course, but wish they'd play some lesser-known numbers - album tracks, or some of the great singles that get overlooked. I've contacted them, anyway, with that suggestion - and ended by saying that if they want to stick to big hits, how about "Pepe" (only kept off the No 1 slot in the UK by Elvis). So here's hoping!

– Simon Euan-Smith

If only we could have a meaning discourse with Tony Blackburn , not only about playing Duane's tracks But ensuring that we have a fair quota of instrumentals ! - To get the same Eddy track after six weeks , lacked imagination !

Register Sign in to join the conversation