Duane Eddy's House of Twang

15 Years ago today, we lost Chet.

It doesn't seem possible that so many years have passed. We were in the studio two days ago with Steve Wariner and there were so many Chet one-liners and stories about him, without even realizing the pending anniversary date...it's just the natural thing to do when guitar players get together here in Nashville. Chet loomed large in this town, always out and about for lunch at one of his favorite meat and three restaurants he loved so much.

Just wanted to let you know.

I regret that I didn't discover his music earlier. If I had maybe I would have had a chance to see him live or even meet him.

At least we have the music!

Cue the obligatory shot of my Chet LP collection

Missed by many, celebrated yearly. The man was a legend. RESPECT!

"We will never see the like of his talent in one man. When you talked about who was the greatest guitar player, Chet's name was never mentioned, because you just took him and put him up there, and then you argued about the rest of them." __Eddy Arnold
...at Chet's funeral

I've never seen time fly by so quickly, my father was 16 years passed back in February too.

Chet is still my fav.

I don't think there has ever been a musical mind like Chet's, at least for guitars. He was also a brilliant business man and producer. Those demands had to keep him from developing musically as much as he would have had he the luxury of just concentrating on the guitar, or at least that's my opinion. Still, he was the greatest, or if you can't agree to that, one would have to say that he certainly was the most influential.

I am not real big on departure dates, and I have to admit, Deed, that I hadn't thought about this one until now. Thanks. We will always remember him.

There was a cartoon that I can't put my finger on at the moment. It showed a line of angels in the clouds as far as you could see, and they had all thrown their harps into a big combo bin of sorts, and the sign at the line said, "Free Guitar Lessons - Chet Atkins."

Chet left us on the day my oldest daughter got married. I heard the news a few hours before her ceremony...... This will sound silly, but my first reaction was "We have to reschedule the wedding...." My beloved wife made it clear that was not possible (which I knew).......

For our family the wedding was wonderful and my daughter & husband are still VERY happily married. Every year when we celebrate their anniversary I take a moment to think about Chet and how hard that news hit me on 6/30/2001.

I didn't realize the significance of this date until I started to read this thread. I blush to admit that it has only been in the last five years that I've realized what a towering giant Chet was. I truly wish I had had the opportunity to meet him.

With Chet the words , " They just don't make men like that anymore ! " - Must surely fit !

If you're a Chet fan, you remember like it was yesterday the first time you heard him. In my case I was 12 and my Mom put on his More Country Guitar record, my head just exploded. It's weird, I never met him, yet I feel I knew him, like bumping into him somewhere would be the most normal thing in the world.

If you're a Chet fan, you remember like it was yesterday the first time you heard him. In my case I was 12 and my Mom put on his More Country Guitar record, my head just exploded. It's weird, I never met him, yet I feel I knew him, like bumping into him somewhere would be the most normal thing in the world.

– Opie

I heard Chet, without knowing it, long before I started playing guitar. There was a children's TV program in the '70s called "Lekestue"(based on the British "Playschool"), and one of the short, educational films they showed was about trains, and in the background there was a catchy little ditty. It stuck in my mind, and it was played on the radio too, from time to time.

After my parents got divorced, my mom married a man who played guitar. One of the songs he played was the train-movie-melody. He told me the song was called "Freight Train", and that the guy I heard on TV was called Chet Atkins. He had a few of Chet's albums, and I started absorbing his stuff. Of course, it was waaay above my head when I started playing the guitar (most of it still is, haha), but it was indeed a happy moment for me when I was able to play "Freight Train" myself.

Anders

Like Richard,i too am not big on departure dates,last night before retiring to bed i realized my grandfather actually passed on the 30th June,10 years ago ! That date also happens to be my late uncle's birthday too,one wonders how ya could forget these things.

The tune that made my head explode on first hearing it was Yankee Doodle Dixie ,i was very young at the time maybe 9 or 10 and remember asking my father if Chet is playing who is playing the other part ,to which he replied "Chet is playing both parts ,at the same time"!

Chet was incredibly versatile, as comfortable playing with the Boston Pops as he was at the Opry.

Register Sign in to join the conversation