Other Guitars

It’s not just Gretsch eBay sellers who are clueless

There's this Guild M-65 Freshman on eBay, cool little guitar, similar to a Gretsch Rambler. However someone tried to turn it into its much more valuable older sibling the M-75 Aristocrat/Bluesbird with add on vintage parts, some of which didn't quite fit right. At least the seller recognizes it, but doesn't admit it's still just a Freshman, worth half the asking price. To his credit, he didn't try to sell it for the $3000-4000 an Aristocrat goes for.

"Someone spent a lot of time and money searching for all of the period correct parts to transform this amazing student guitar to an amazing professional guitar!" - nope, it's still a student guitar.

1966 Guild M65 M-65 M 65 w/ LOTS ofUPGRADES DeArmond Freshman M-75 Aristocrat

I picked up one of these that had been abandoned halfway thru a mangled refit. For $80 it was a decent deal---I rescued it. It had been cut to fit a Tele pickup in the bridge location. I'll stick a GFS pickup in it instead. The damage has already been done, so I'll try to make the best of it. The one advantage is that it weighs almost nothing and is the same size as my ProJet.

That modified Bigsby is very interesting! I'm not a fan of the purple, but the chopped base looks to be pretty well done.

That modified Bigsby is very interesting! I'm not a fan of the purple, but the chopped base looks to be pretty well done.

– kc_eddie_b

Agreed, Ed. Who would paint the vibrato purple on that color guitar? The owner probably was raised to wear plaids and stripes together.

Seller Notes: “Guitar has had lots of upgrades as follows:-original neck pickup removed and replaced with vintage DeArmond pickup-another vintage DeArmond has been added to the bridge position -the is red felt surrounding the pickups on the interior---the original neck pickup was longer so this was probably put in the fill in the gap. It was also installed with the bridge pickup, probably for continuity-original rail tuners were replaced with vintage Grovers-vintage Guild style pickup selector (probably from another old Guild) has been installed-vintage Guild knobs installed-original trapeze tailpiece replaced with modified authentic vintage Guild Bigsby (modified to fit the smaller scale body of the Freshman)-a longer bridge was installed at one point and was pinned down so there are a few small holes in the top from this -some light wear as any guitar this age would have but nothing serious, no breaks, no repairs”

Oh man, is this one of wenzel's guitars?

Don't mock the felt BD!

It's a weird one alright, I wonder who put all that time and money into it. Bigsby, Dearmonds, Tru-Arc...there's over $600 worth of parts on that guitar.

And it still isn't this...

Don't mock the felt BD!

It's a weird one alright, I wonder who put all that time and money into it. Bigsby, Dearmonds, Tru-Arc...there's over $600 worth of parts on that guitar.

And it still isn't this...

– WB

That's a beauty, Walter!

Not mine - belongs to a friend here in town. Played it yesterday, wish it wàs mine!!

It's a lot more red in person btw, weird lighting in that pic.

Register Sign in to join the conversation