Drums

Just one ride/crash?

Hey all. I picked up a used beginner kit a little while ago, just to beat around on and maybe record demos. Didn't come with cymbals. I bought a hi-hat and I have a stand for another cymbal. Here's my question: If you were to have just one cymbal (aside from hi-hat) what do you get?

Do you use a ride cymbal, or do they make hybrid ride/crash cymbals?

Incidentally, I saw a band last night, and the drummer had an interesting set-up (see photo). Just one floor tom (no mounted toms), and just one cymbal. He sounded great, which is just further proof that good players don't always need tons of gear. Might be hard to see from the photo, but would that be a ride? Any guess on the size?

do they make hybrid ride/crash cymbals?

Yes

That's surely a ride. Bigger than his bass drum, from appearances. So unless he's an unusual feller with a 26" kick (it sure doesn't look like a 20), bigger than 22 or 24".

I’m sure there are a few. I have a Zildjian Armand 19” Beautiful Baby that I use as a ride and a crash. Really like it a lot.

Sizzle rivets optional.

What ticks me about DC drummers is they never use their ride cymbals... they just stay on fully closed hats all the time... boring as hell. They don't even do the half open/sizzle hats like Ringo

My wife used to play a cocktail kit and in an effort to keep it compact she went down to the drum shop and played all the small rides and large crashes until she found the best compromise. It was a cool setup but she abandoned it for a proper sit down kit after we played an entire set of 1977 punk rock classics. 40 minutes of bashing all that out on one foot. I didn't blame her.

That's surely a ride. Bigger than his bass drum, from appearances. So unless he's an unusual feller with a 26" kick (it sure doesn't look like a 20), bigger than 22 or 24".

– Proteus

Thanks for the responses, guys. Tim, I think it may be bigger than his kick drum. Here's a video from the show. Fantastic show by Whitney Rose, btw. The drummer was great. Here, she's doing the Lesley Gore song, "You Don't Own Me."

You Don't Own Me

To optimize a dual-duty crash/ride cymbal, I'd suggest something 18" or 20" and not too heavy. Heavier cymbals provide a crisper "ping" for ride, but can have a longer decay time making them potentially overpowering as a crash. Most designated crash cymbals tend to be thinner. Larger cymbals like 22" and up generally will not have as crisp or immediate an attack for crash use. Some drummers can pull it off, but to make it sound right, they have to hit the crash slightly ahead of the beat.

As fistpicker mentioned, it can be worth checking out a well-stocked drum store to find something that sounds good to you in both functions.

Just my own opinion, of course, but crash rides are just cymbals that do a crappy job of both. Too thick to be a crash, too thin to be a ride. It’s like wanting both a guitar and a bass and trying to split the difference with a baritone. Once again, just my opinion, worth every penny you paid for it.

Jimbo, Slim Jim From The Stray Cats has done well with a minimal amount of drums in his kit.

I’ve been doing a bunch of mountain bike racing lately, so I initially read that thread title to mean something very different …

I’ve been doing a bunch of mountain bike racing lately, so I initially read that thread title to mean something very different …

Ha! I’m not racing, but I’m up on two wheels regularly. I get at least a few rides per crash now.

– Junior Q Man (Ryan M)

LOL. Yes, better ride than crash. And keep your feet on the pedals!

I've found at small gigs it's easier to ride on a big crash than it is to crash a ride.

Cymbals are nasty things made to give drummers something to do between beats.

Register Sign in to join the conversation