Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Vintage gray Filtertron wire

I have two old Filtertrons that I bought in the late 80s but never used. They both had the wires cut short when I got them. I would like to get them running again and looking as original as possible.

So I am looking for the original gray wire that Gretsch used. My 59 Annie Filtertron has gray wire with see through plastic on the conductor wire. The rest of the harness is the same gray wire but it has black conductor wire. And I have seen Filtertrons with black conductor wire inside the gray. Before I have to take apart all my Gretsches: Does anyone know what they used in which years? Or was it random?

I found some on Blackriders site but they’re asking $2.50 per inch. Expensive… And I emailed them asking which color the conductor wire is but they are not responding.

And I found this Wire on reverb But that has white conductor wire. I also emailed them asking if they have conductor wire in other colors but they aren’t responding either….. Weird. Don’t they want to sell anything?

So, does anyone know where I can find the correct wire?

And here are the pick ups.

Does this look right? It's hard to get a good macro shot on my phone. Gray jacket with clearish inner insulator. It's period correct. How much do you need? I could spare a few feet.

Hi Otter, thanks for responding!
It's very hard to see in that picture. Is the inner wire like the one this picture?
And what is the diameter of the gray wire? Mine is 2.5 mm. That should be 0.0984 inches according to an on line calculator....

This is closer to 3.5 mm. (The outer jacket diameter). It's an old RCA cable, like you'd use for hifi hookups.

Ah, that is pretty thick. The other wiring of the harness is about 3 mm so it would even be too much for that.
Thank you anyway so far. I think I'll first see what else comes out of this thread. But if I don't find anything I might take you up on that. Ok?

Yeah, no worries. I think the coloring is right at least.

Yes, it looks very close. thanks!

How long on the two pieces do you need? I've probably got some bits laying around.

More importantly, what guitar you putting them in?

More importantly, what guitar you putting them in?

– spike

No plans for a guitar yet. I just want them up and running so they don't look so sad. And I would like to hear them sometime. Never heard them. I only know that the ohm reading is correct.....

How long on the two pieces do you need? I've probably got some bits laying around.

– Setzer

Hey Paul, I have no specific plans for them so I would say, as long as possible... What do you have?

Let me dig around and see what I can find.

I could let one of these 24" rolls go if it would work

photo F74E5AB9-B063-4AE1-B62B-6F10C65D4DD5_zpsrs8jizbe.jpg

photo EFF1423F-62AC-4D36-BDC3-A7FC9B53ED04_zpsrw8pygkd.jpg

photo 698A4ACC-ED69-447E-9958-D0B89D912974_zpsgjwj8vuo.jpg

photo 208824B9-8814-49AC-9E32-338030CF3750_zpsjmdjz3xf.jpg

Hi Paul, thanks! That looks great! The thickness is perfect.
Do you know if Vintage Filtertrons ever used that white centre wire? I'm having trouble figuring out what was used.
I'll get back to you about this. Thanks!

Hey, I'm not sure about white wire being used.

I salvaged that wire from a 60's-70's portable public address system.

Thanks! I'm still figuring it out but I'll get back to you about this. Thanks so far!

Thanks Don, I sent him an email a few days ago but haven't heard back yet. But I didn't know he had a spool of the original stuff. Even better! I guess he's at NAMM, so I'll be patient.

Here's some vintage thin silver braided clear 27" cable

photo 1582CEB4-790A-4328-A117-AA4F0CC4EE04_zpsoni9vw87.jpg

photo 4C1DBF05-35B0-4F8E-AD83-98A28286B701_zpsvp3tlyma.jpg

That was awful cable, but there's still plenty around. I probably have a couple of miles of it in the loft. What outside diameter are you looking for? You have to be really careful soldering it because the clear part has a really low melting temperature.

Is that the stuff where when you solder the inner wire the coating just peels off split by the wire. Horrible! I avoid that stuff both in guitars and amp building Get some good quality modern wire. There's no advantage to antique wiring, that's like putting vintage caps in an amp or vintage tires on a car. Are you trying to sell them and want them to look right so as to not put off prospective buyers? Otherwise there's not much point in my opinion.

Here's some vintage thin silver braided clear 27" cable

photo 1582CEB4-790A-4328-A117-AA4F0CC4EE04_zpsoni9vw87.jpg

photo 4C1DBF05-35B0-4F8E-AD83-98A28286B701_zpsvp3tlyma.jpg

– Setzer

Sorry, I completely missed these updates. Thanks for posting this Paul. I can't really see what it looks like. Is it the same stuff that was used for Filtertrons? Is the inner core like I posted a picture of?

That was awful cable, but there's still plenty around. I probably have a couple of miles of it in the loft. What outside diameter are you looking for? You have to be really careful soldering it because the clear part has a really low melting temperature.

– Billy Zoom

Hi Billy,
what wire are you referring to, when you say it melts? The ones that Setzer posted? Or the original Filtertron wire?
My Filtertrons have grey wire with a see through inner core like I posted earlier. And the diameter is 2.5 millimeters.

Is that the stuff where when you solder the inner wire the coating just peels off split by the wire. Horrible! I avoid that stuff both in guitars and amp building Get some good quality modern wire. There's no advantage to antique wiring, that's like putting vintage caps in an amp or vintage tires on a car. Are you trying to sell them and want them to look right so as to not put off prospective buyers? Otherwise there's not much point in my opinion.

– Toxophilite

I am not looking for vintage wire. I am looking for vintage correct wire. I would like it to look like the originals but I would like new if possible.
I'm not selling them but I would like them to look as original as possible. You'll always see that they have been changed but I like them to at least look good....
Which wire are you referring to? The wire Setzer posted or original Filtertron wire?

Register Sign in to join the conversation