Drums

How Many Of You Drummers, Drum Standing (Like Slim Jim)???

How many of you drum stranding up like Slim Jim Phantom? I don't have the interview now but I read that he was saying that he decided to drum standing up because he saw the drummer from Gene Vincent's Blue Caps standing in a promo photo. He thought the guy was always drumming standing but turned out it was just for a promo. Slim Jim said he had a hard time standing and drumming without falling over. I figure if he didn't play a bass drum then no problem but I suppose standing and banging on the bass drum could cause one to lose balance but he finally got it down and of course started to jump up and down drumming without falling.

Standing up drumming looks really cool -

My drummer in The Zephyr Project drums standing up a fair bit. Depends on the gig and what kit he brings.

There was a little fashion for Cocktail Kits a few years ago, played standing. Mick Fleetwood used one on softer segments of Mac gigs.

Andy Sturmer sang lead vocals and played stand-up drums in Jellyfish, a Frisco power-pop group from the early Nineties. Very clever songs, super execution on a Wings-type template-

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Slim Jim plays really oddly. Open hand lefty set-up, the most skittish and slithering swing feels ever conceived, shambolic fills that chew lumps out of the four-beats-to-a-bar margins. On paper it's a nightmare yet he somehow holds it together- always a very exciting, daring player on the edge.

A Birmingham U.K. (Wolverhampton) Beach Boys -type group during the sixties, called 'the Californians' had a drummer (Keith Evans) who was also their lead singer, and who stood up.

How many of you drum stranding up like Slim Jim Phantom? I don't have the interview now but I read that he was saying that he decided to drum standing up because he saw the drummer from Gene Vincent's Blue Caps standing in a promo photo. He thought the guy was always drumming standing but turned out it was just for a promo. Slim Jim said he had a hard time standing and drumming without falling over. I figure if he didn't play a bass drum then no problem but I suppose standing and banging on the bass drum could cause one to lose balance but he finally got it down and of course started to jump up and down drumming without falling.

– Echosonic

– Echosonic

dickie Harrel former drummer of the blue caps played standing up on stage too.

Lovely photos, Didier. You really are the picture king.

It's only feasible for drummers who don't play with both a kick drum and hi-hat. If both feet are operating pedals, balance becomes a pretty serious issue.

thanks. i like to send beautiful pictures to my friends.

I dont,,but one of my favorites,The Go Getters,Does.

Cheating a little here, for in every other clip I find, Lynn Easton plays this song sitting down. But they're lipsyncing by a fence and there's no room for the kit. So the drumtrack of the apocalypse gets mimed standing up, to startling effect.

The Kingsmen, 'Louie Louie'-

another one

– didier delcourt

another one

– didier delcourt

I see, he did play standing up, was not just a promo photo. I must have misread the interview with Slim Jim Phantom when I thought he said that the guy played sitting down but promo shot him standing. I misread because Slim Jim would not have gotten that wrong but I would. Put it this way, regardless, Slim Jim would be playing sitting down if not for the Blue Caps drummer standing.

Cheating a little here, for in every other clip I find, Lynn Easton plays this song sitting down. But they're lipsyncing by a fence and there's no room for the kit. So the drumtrack of the apocalypse gets mimed standing up, to startling effect.

– Adrian McKenna

– Shuie

I like how he just has a snare drum and nothing else, no cymbals and no bass drum or tom. Very cool and I thought Slim Jim's set up was pretty stripped down but this guy in the Kingsmen has only a snare. By the way I've always loved this song. Thanks for posting.

Register Sign in to join the conversation