Drums

Holy mother-a-pearl! The Gretsch Drum co. has been sold to DW!!!!!

I said something along those lines when Guild was sold...

I didn't know any lines of Gretsch products were FMIC's to sell.

Someone explain, please.

The sale includes Ovation guitars. Now that could be interesting.

Latin Percussion, Toca Perc., Gretsch Drums, KAT Perc, Percussion Plus, CB Drums, Adamas Strings, Gibraltar hardware, Ovation Guitars, and Sabian Cymbals were all part of the deal.

Things like this happen fairly often in the music industry, but rarely with such big players. This is a major problem for smaller music stores, especially the ones that have been dealing with KMC for a long time.

There's a good chance my store will have to drop all of those companies, or at least not have them available for another 6 months. I don't have all the details yet, but if we have to buy in to DW to get that stuff there's no way it's happening until after tax time, or when school starts. This time of year is our slowest, and the holiday season sucked across the board this year.

I'm sure nothing will really change with any of the companies. It's all about who's handling distro, they don't usually change much in the way things are run among the individual businesses.

DW is an excellent company. Their drums are probably the best on the market (IMOP) I've used DW strictly in the studio and I loved their sound. Live I prefer Gretsch and or pre-Hohner Ludwig.

I thought Fred owned Gretsch drums? I read they had a distribution agreement and a manufacturing agreement with Kaman/FMIC, but who OWNS the brand?

I would think that Fender sold the license to manufacture/distribute Gretsch Drums. I believe that was all that they had to sell.

So, that should clear up a lot of the mystery.

Fender is divesting itself of a large number of brands. I wonder how long until Gretsch guitar rights are sold off too?

Hey, built4speed,

That's not likely to happen. Gretsch guitars turn a profit for FMIC. The stuff they sold: not so much.

Paul/FF909

I am a little bit surprised that Fender would let the Gretsch Drum brand go unless they are pulling in their horns to try to concentrate on guitars and amps. I would think that the Gretsch Drums brand would be profitable too, but the switch to DW is probably in the best interest of Fred and Dinah. That's what counts.

I am a little bit surprised that Fender would let the Gretsch Drum brand go unless they are pulling in their horns to try to concentrate on guitars and amps. I would think that the Gretsch Drums brand would be profitable too, but the switch to DW is probably in the best interest of Fred and Dinah. That's what counts.

It is highly likely that there would be a contractual clause against assignment of Fender's duties under the distribution set up without consent of Gretsch.

This would mean that this change to DW was no surprise to Gretsch and that they have already consented specifically to it.

Believe me, there is nothing that occurs in the business dealings of Gretsch Guitars and Gretsch Drums that has not first been discussed with Fred and Dinah Gretsch, who own these companies.

DW is a fine company with good product. I think they will do from Gretsch drums what Fender did for Gretsch Guitars.

I'm no business major, but it seems FMC has lost it's way a bit over the last few since Bill Shultz passed on. They have bought held and killed many brands that were household names to musicians. It's not like Strats and Teles aren't selling by the boat and truck load....

I don't know if it was competition elimination, or just a frenzied attempt to own a bunch of brands and then realize you have leveraged your company over the abyss more than you wanted to...

Register Sign in to join the conversation