Drums

Help with 1950’s Vintage Drums

I have a set of 1950's Gretsch drums that my dad bought me when I was a kid around 1975-76. He paid $75.00 for the set of yellowed white pearl drums with a 24" bass drum, one mounted tom, a floor tom, snare, Ludwig hi hat and bass drum pedal and some very thin cymbals. Kit still had calf skin heads on the bass drum.

During high school, my much better off friends had shiny new Ludwig Quadra Plus sets, etc. There were quite a few guffaws when I would bring my set to jazz band practice. Being a teenager and having no sense of value, I very stupidly peeled off the drum wrap sanded the shells (crappy job) and stained the shells (also crappy job). I got rid of the wooden bass drum rims and replaced them with chrome. I won't even tell you what other stupid non Gretsch hardware I added.

Anyway, I want to restore the drums to as close to original, but with a small bit of practicality. I've already ruined the value and some things like the original tongue in slot tom mount stunk from the get go. The tom would work its way off if I was really rocking the set. I have no idea which white pearl Gretsch used back the. I've looked at a few samples of marine pearl, vintage pearl, etc., but I don't have enough of a recollection to know what the original looked like and I have no photos.

Any know what is available now that is the closest?

I believe Precision/Delmar still make the Gretsch-pattern WMP. As long as the “diamonds” aren’t pointy and angular or linear, either the Gretsch or Slingerland pattern’ll do ya. Pretty much interchangeable.

A noble restoration. Back in my young life more around 1970 guys were refinishing their Fender guitars because bare/stained wood was a more 'natural' look. Actually the ca. 1969 Fender natural finish was just because that's what the saw being done to them.

“like the original tongue in slot tom mount stunk from the get go.”

The spade type mount?

“like the original tongue in slot tom mount stunk from the get go.”

The spade type mount?

– Setzer

Yes.

Register Sign in to join the conversation