Drums

Help identifying Ludwigs

Picked these up at the local GW recently and I’ve never seen this badge before. Anybody know a timeframe and series for this style?

I’m counting 6 ply. 22, 16 13 & 12

I’m familiar with the hardware

Imports? Did Ludwig do that?

Hmm...nutty. I’ve not personally seen that badge before, that I can recall. In fact, it initially made me wonder if someone hadn’t just put stickers on a MIJ kit in order to pawn ‘er off to a pigeon...BUT...it has correct lugs, Tom-mount receiver plate on the kick, the inner shells look to be much better than the MIJ stuff from back in the day, very 6-ply Ludwig-like, cheaper disappearing spurs, and it has all Ludwig hodwaya.

My own conclusion is they’re an early incarnation of Ludwig’s Combo line from the ‘70’s into early ‘80’s. Less expensive fittings but the shells were identical to their big-ticket stuff.

Thanks. I’m glad you chimed in! Maybe from the S/L series?

I’ve been searching the catalogs and google with no luck. I was going to post on the VDF but I can’t host my pics on pb now. And a thread there without photos would be useless I bet. So to the GDP it went, my first thought anyway.

Thanks. I’m glad you chimed in! Maybe from the S/L series?

I’ve been searching the catalogs and google with no luck. I was going to post on the VDF but I can’t host my pics on pb now. And a thread there without photos would be useless I bet. So to the GDP it went, my first thought anyway.

– Setzer

Ludwig’s had transitional gray areas in the past, as many have. After the Combo line went away, a couple years down the pike, “Rockers” started showing up. I’m calling that kit of yours transitional. A pre-Rocker Rocker. Guessing early mid-80’s, although that hardware dates from earlier. There again, they coulda been blowin’ out their inventory of lightweight hardware by packaging it with a down-market line of drums. That BD receiver plate didn’t start showing up until the mid-80’s.

I know a guy who knows everything about Ludwig eras/logo--- going to run that 1st pix by him

Hey Paul, good to see you posting! Where you been?

Another possibility is that they're not the original badges. They look very similar to the badges used on some of the late '70's tom-mount hardware. These mount columns replaced the original cast logo with a separate insert-- which aside from shape, is identical to the badges on your kit, right down to the "USA" in the leg of the "g". In fact, this appears to be the exact type of mount column shown in your photos.

Do the shells appear to have been re-covered? That's just what I'm thinking-- re-covered and re-badged shells.

I know a guy who knows everything about Ludwig eras/logo--- going to run that 1st pix by him

– DCBirdMan

Thanks DC!

Hey Paul, good to see you posting! Where you been?

– Bryan K.

BK, I feel like I’ve been living at the PO since X-mas! It’s been non stop. I guess I’ve been living the dream I went regular(9 years as a sub)right after thanksgiving. Sticking mail and working on my Jeeps has been keeping me busy. I check in here weekly to see what’s happening. I’m trying to get caught up on my pickguard orders.

Ludwig’s had transitional gray areas in the past, as many have. After the Combo line went away, a couple years down the pike, “Rockers” started showing up. I’m calling that kit of yours transitional. A pre-Rocker Rocker. Guessing early mid-80’s, although that hardware dates from earlier. There again, they coulda been blowin’ out their inventory of lightweight hardware by packaging it with a down-market line of drums. That BD receiver plate didn’t start showing up until the mid-80’s.

– tubwompus

Thanks again for your insight!

Another possibility is that they're not the original badges. They look very similar to the badges used on some of the late '70's tom-mount hardware. These mount columns replaced the original cast logo with a separate insert-- which aside from shape, is identical to the badges on your kit, right down to the "USA" in the leg of the "g". In fact, this appears to be the exact type of mount column shown in your photos.

Do the shells appear to have been re-covered? That's just what I'm thinking-- re-covered and re-badged shells.

– Tartan Phantom

Rob it sure is close. I notice that the register R is off to the upper right on my “badges”.

maybe they ran out of regular black/white badges and used these decals instead.

One day I’ll visit the factory since they are only miles away and maybe get to the bottom of it.

Not bad for $40 huh?!? Gotta love GW. I’ve got a Acrolite snare so now I’ll start working on these to see how they sound. Fingers crossed

Not sure if they have been rewrapped. I’ll check them out closer.

thanks again!

My snare is a '79 Acrolite, bought it new when I was in high school. It's got a great sound, and I still have the original snares and snare head on it. Of course, the batter head has been replaced countless times. Still have the original hideous orange blown plastic (a la "chainsaw case") case for it too as well as the original stand and gladstone practice pad.

Somebody saw it and told me that the original blue/olive badge Acrolites (like mine) are worth a little money these days, but they may have been blowing smoke at me.

My snare is a '79 Acrolite, bought it new when I was in high school. It's got a great sound, and I still have the original snares and snare head on it. Of course, the batter head has been replaced countless times. Still have the original hideous orange blown plastic (a la "chainsaw case") case for it too as well as the original stand and gladstone practice pad.

Somebody saw it and told me that the original blue/olive badge Acrolites (like mine) are worth a little money these days, but they may have been blowing smoke at me.

– Tartan Phantom

They seem to be hovering around the +- $300 range these days from what I’ve seen. Acrolites from back then were the same shells as their flagship Supraphonic, just with a finish that was less expensive to execute, along with 8 bowtie lugs instead of the Supra’s 10 Imperials.

So the black plastic knob hardware is from the Hercules line?

Register Sign in to join the conversation