Drums

Gretsch Drum Question

Thought I'd try to play some drums. I'm looking at a set of Gretsch Catalina Maple. Can anyone give me an opinion on these? Thanks

Beautiful finish. Keep in mind that the Catalina series does not have diecast hoops.

Catalina's, like the Electromatic Gretsch guitars, give you way more tone that what you pay for. If you are able to make the bump to a Renown series you will have the only drumset you need for the rest of your life.

A drummer buddy loves his. To quote him: "Why couldn't I have found these twenty years ago?" Best bang for the buck he's ever found.

Just picked up a Bright Cherry Catalina Maple kit. Now I have another instrument I don't know how to play:D .

My 13y/o son is getting a kick banging on it though. The next thing it some of those muffling pads!

I've heard a Catalina kit twice in a live setting. Fat, punchy and very focused. Not as bombastic as say, a DW.

In my region there's alot of drummers that play either generic stuff or good stuff but was actually designed for fanfare music and such.

Hearing someone play a Gretsch, DW or Ludwig is like a breath of fresh air to me.

Yes, Ratrod. The drums you mentioned are built for dynamics, whereas drums like Pearl and Tama are built for one option, bombastic.

Register Sign in to join the conversation