Other Amps

Does a Blues Jr. chassis fit in a 5e3 cab?

I'm looking for a good sounding 12" amp for home practice use that sounds good a lower volumes and is handsome enough that I can keep it in the living room. I only need clean as I use pedals. I was thinking of the Excelsior (15" I know) but it's not available on the used market here but then toyed with the idea of just getting a Blues Jr. and putting it in a Mojotone Tweed Deluxe cab I already have. I don't like the sterile sounding stock cab and I don't dare myself to assemble a 5e3 amp kit, btw.

So, does the Blues Jr. cab fit in the 5e3 cab?

The BJ chassis should fit into the 5E3 cabinet, but you'll lose about 1/4" of control panel on either side (the cutout on the 5E3 cab is 1/2" narrower). The mounting holes won't line up. You'll also need to make a new rear panel as the BJ chassis is about 2" taller. Both cabs are 18" wide, you may get away with using the rear panel from the BJ cab.

If you already have a 5e3 cab, I would just get a 5e3 to put in. The one suggested by guitarcapo will not fit in your cab however. You can find a nicely built new 5e3 chassis for around 550-650 (they've gone up apparently) or you can build your own for less (I hope to do this soon, I already have a 5e3 though), though I see you're not daring it now. Maybe you can get someone to put it together? If you're lucky, you can find a used chassis cheaper. This is biased by my love for my Clark Beaufort (5e3) and easy to fix/adjust amps. I've never played through a bjr for more than one practice though I've seen many at shows. They sound fine, but it might be the circuit that's sterile sounding to you.

I would also check how low the amp hangs and how deep the transformers go. Also, you can try the bjr playing through the deluxe cab first to see if it sounds that much better.

Both are 16" tall. 5e3 Chassis cut out 12-1/8" x 2-7/16" Cab:20"x9 1/2" (top)

Bjr Chassis cutout 12-1/2" x 1-13/16" Cab:18"x9 1/8" (top)

The bjr in a 5e3 might have a gap running along the front or back (front I guess would be more practical).

There are also these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/26...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29...

Oh, 5e3s can be loud. If you want living room, use an inefficient speaker or an attenuator if you go that route. They are wonderful though.

I had a guy make me a custom 5e3 cab to fit my Rat Amps blues junior. The stock chassis needs supporting from the sides, as the replacement cab is wider. All in it was £180. The same guy makes cabs for Rift amps and a few other UK makers. Turn around was two weeks.

The advantage of the wider cab adds up. More air round the speaker, a pine cab instead of MDF, and I can now get a long reverb tank in.

If you're looking for an amp to just muck around on at home, take a look at a 5F2-A Tweed Princeton. Same tonal territory as the 5E3 and every bit as satisfying. One channel, one power tube, very flexible for mods to personalize it. Bolt it into a 1x12 pine cab and it will sonically blow away the BJ.

I'm looking for a good sounding 12" amp

Don't get a Blues Junior then.

Okay, thanks. It was just an idea. I have a Fender CS '57 Deluxe but I'd like to take this to my rehearsing space and was looking for an alternative. I tried several home amps and they all sucked so far. And I can't and don't want to spent big bucks for a living room amp. I still have the spare 5e3 Mojo cab that I have no use for. I'm in Europe and inexpensive clones aren't available. As I see it a Tweed Princeton also won't fit the Deluxe cab.

Hello Sascha, I have sold last month 3 Custom housing for the Bl.Jr and one for the Excelsior. The original Excelsior is still here, (belongs to Michiel) which is probably for sale. Otherwise, how would it be for home with this part: Https://www.musicstore.de/e... This is a 5f1! You could surely put it into the 5e3 cab (you have to tinker something, I can make you a Tweed adapter board). I have a 5f1 with 2x10"at home, which is the hammer. And for the price certainly hard to beat, the part is also well discussed. LG Micha

I have custom made aluminum chassis' that are the dimensions of a 5E3. I just build the 5F2a circuit into a larger chassis. Mounting holes line up perfectly with the 5E3 cab.

Hello Sascha, I have sold last month 3 Custom housing for the Bl.Jr and one for the Excelsior. The original Excelsior is still here, (belongs to Michiel) which is probably for sale. Otherwise, how would it be for home with this part: Https://www.musicstore.de/e... This is a 5f1! You could surely put it into the 5e3 cab (you have to tinker something, I can make you a Tweed adapter board). I have a 5f1 with 2x10"at home, which is the hammer. And for the price certainly hard to beat, the part is also well discussed. LG Micha

– Valdez

That little amp in the link looks interesting. And 5W for home use is enough. By 'Tweed adapter board' do you mean an adapter for the panel/faceplate to fit the 5e3 cab?

I have custom made aluminum chassis' that are the dimensions of a 5E3. I just build the 5F2a circuit into a larger chassis. Mounting holes line up perfectly with the 5E3 cab.

– Powdog

It's great to see all the craftmanship and knowledge here. I wish overseas trading would be less complicated. I'm in the E.U., btw. Thanks a lot for your input!

You need a little Champ Reverb

For home use the Excelsior would be to powerful. I dont use mine at all at home. Even a 5w tube amp will be too much if you live in an apartement... According to my environment... For home use I just use a amp modeling pedal in front of an 30yr old Solton solid state amp (pedal is a Harley Benton Clean glass) which sounds real convincing and gives you a huge variety of Tweed to Blackface sounds. And its only 29 Euros Direct Input to a PA System is possible too

For home use the Excelsior would be to powerful. I dont use mine at all at home. Even a 5w tube amp will be too much if you live in an apartement... According to my environment... For home use I just use a amp modeling pedal in front of an 30yr old Solton solid state amp (pedal is a Harley Benton Clean glass) which sounds real convincing and gives you a huge variety of Tweed to Blackface sounds. And its only 29 Euros Direct Input to a PA System is possible too

– ChimingBell

Yeah, but I want something handsome as I can't stand an ugly piece of gear in the living room.

And I see no need to push powertubes hard at home. So a good warm tube clean should be my starting point. It's not about just practicing (I have a small man-cave with another amp I don't really like) but about sounding good at low levels. My '57 Deluxe RI does that extremely well but I wnat to take it to the rehearsing / recording space. But as you noticed: I need to sell some gear and see if there is any money left when I paid my bills.

I had a guy make me a custom 5e3 cab to fit my Rat Amps blues junior. The stock chassis needs supporting from the sides, as the replacement cab is wider. All in it was £180. The same guy makes cabs for Rift amps and a few other UK makers. Turn around was two weeks.

The advantage of the wider cab adds up. More air round the speaker, a pine cab instead of MDF, and I can now get a long reverb tank in.

– Uncle Daddy

Hi Uncle Daddy, I'm having my BJr modded by RAT at the moment and was considering a new 5E3-sized cab. Have a couple of questions for you. Did you contact Rift directly about the cab or was there someone else who's contact info you could pass on? How was the quality and of the cabinet? I was after an aged/lacquered tweed look. I wanted to fit a Celestion Alnico Cream speaker and wondered if it will fit. Have you tried this size of speaker in your cab by any chance?

Thanks!

Register Sign in to join the conversation