Other Amps

63 Fender Blonde Bassman Volume Question

So Ive noticed that my bassman's volume is pretty darn loud just at the "1" position.

there are no knob sounds indicating that maybe the pot is going bad.

The Amp itself sounds amazing but my wife is looking at me like she wants to kill me overtime I get near my amp to play it.

This is my first vintage amp, my old amp was a '59 re-issue bassman that was also loud as hell but I could adjust the vol accordingly enough...before that i had a hot rod deluxe that was "normal" in terms of adjusting the volume... all my previous amps were solid state amps that were weak as hell...

Anyway, is this normal?

I have it plugged into the "1" position on the "Normal" channel

I'll check with the other connections on the amp when I get the house to myself but as I can recall, it varies minimally...

also...

I have a billy brain pedal that i would love to use but when that sucker is on, you may as well put on a concert for the neighborhood.

That's not exactly a living room amp. Maybe get an attenuator? Or a Champ

I used to have a Tuxedo bassman, and with two healthy, efficient speakers in the 2X12 cab it was too loud for at least half of the stages I play. It's WAY too loud for a home amp.

I used to have a 63 blonde Bassman and that was definitely not a living room amp. 1 was too loud for normal living room use. And like Walter says: For me too it was too loud for most of the stages I played.

I have a '60 Tweed Champ that I play in my living room and in the evenings it's still too loud to play when turned up.
I wish I had known in the 80s that a BF and sometimes Tweed Deluxe would have been fine for most things I did. Better for my ears, the audiences ears and my back...... ; )

Yes. Owned one up until last year. They are monsters. In 93' I bought a 58' deluxe. That was the end the road for my bassman years.

Sure loved then bassman and what it offered but it was off the charts with volume for most clubs

I lent it (the 63 bassman head) to my pedal steel player for a few years. He made a nice 15" cabinet with a Jensen in it. That's was great. Really great.

Many times I was asked to turn down my deluxe. Perhaps it was the ep3 with 6120 combo

I can't imagine how loud my 6120/ep3 was back then with the blond bassman.

I think it odd that the lowest volume setting is so loud. My '66 Pro Reverb (2x12", 40 watts) has the volume nicely graduated and playing at home is no issue. And it doesn't lose any quality at in-the-house volume levels. There could be an issue with the volume pot, lack of noise notwithstanding.

Those Bassman amps sure don't take a backseat to many others!

I had a 40 watt Blues Deluxe, A completely different amp than yours, but set the volume knob at anything above 2 and the neighbors are calling the cops. There is alot of talk of linear vs. taper pots, but with an amp like yours I dont think changing out the pots would make a huge difference in volume. Like others here have noted, a good attenuater would probably be the way to go.

A different pot taper might help you incrementally but you need orders-of-magnitude attentuation to play that at living room volume. Like others have said, that thing is too loud for a lot of stages, nevermind in the home. A PPIMV would be cheaper but more intensive than an attenuator.

I still like the piggyback Bassman for bass... there may be one or two others like me...somewhere.

If you don't have the original tubes in there, you could try a 5881. [Ooops, I meant 5751, the preamp tube!]

It does sound like a problem with the pot, or you need to find something between 0 and 1, turn the guitar down, or get a volume pedal.

I have a 63 baseman and while it's certainly not appropriate for a home, it doesn't get explosively loud on one. That might be worth looking into.

So Ive noticed that my bassman's volume is pretty darn loud just at the "1" position.

there are no knob sounds indicating that maybe the pot is going bad.

The Amp itself sounds amazing but my wife is looking at me like she wants to kill me overtime I get near my amp to play it.

This is my first vintage amp, my old amp was a '59 re-issue bassman that was also loud as hell but I could adjust the vol accordingly enough...before that i had a hot rod deluxe that was "normal" in terms of adjusting the volume... all my previous amps were solid state amps that were weak as hell...

Anyway, is this normal?

I have it plugged into the "1" position on the "Normal" channel

I'll check with the other connections on the amp when I get the house to myself but as I can recall, it varies minimally...

also...

I have a billy brain pedal that i would love to use but when that sucker is on, you may as well put on a concert for the neighborhood.

– erick lopez

As a bassman nut, owner and amp maker.. these amps are not loud at 1 on the dial.. Blonde Bassman 6G6-B are not loud at all until you turn them up to at least 3. A blackface fender deluxe is DAMN loud once you turn it on and look at it. So.. my first thought is that this amp has been modified. We need to look at the Filter caps (under the dogpan, but dont touch them as they are potentially dangerous).. get a picture and share it as too many of these precious amps have been BLACKFACED.. Then lets see your Output transformer, is it original or has it been given the standard "hey I'm an amp tech" replacement transformer that is always a generic blackface bassman transformer. (which is why I asked about the caps because techs then "Tighten" up the filter section when they ruin the amp w a blackface OT). The result is a brutish amp that wants to punch you in the neck at even 2 on the volume despite the 6G6-B only having 1 preamp tube in the normal channel.

Let me know, I'm very curious and also ready to swing at a guy that shows up on stage w a 1x12 combo and ends up twice as loud as me w a blonde bassman. ps, I'm sorry youre having this situation and I hope it can be resolved because you have a rare fender amp made for a very very short time in history. Its special and you having it makes it even more special as a gretsch player.

I would find a reputable amp tech and make sure it's working properly.

You could also use the #2 input, it is padded and won't be as loud. It also won't be as "present".

Make sure the tech doesn't do anything without your permission first; as mentioned, these are classics that shouldn't be boogered up to become something else.

Good luck!

As a bassman nut, owner and amp maker.. these amps are not loud at 1 on the dial.. Blonde Bassman 6G6-B are not loud at all until you turn them up to at least 3. A blackface fender deluxe is DAMN loud once you turn it on and look at it. So.. my first thought is that this amp has been modified. We need to look at the Filter caps (under the dogpan, but dont touch them as they are potentially dangerous).. get a picture and share it as too many of these precious amps have been BLACKFACED.. Then lets see your Output transformer, is it original or has it been given the standard "hey I'm an amp tech" replacement transformer that is always a generic blackface bassman transformer. (which is why I asked about the caps because techs then "Tighten" up the filter section when they ruin the amp w a blackface OT). The result is a brutish amp that wants to punch you in the neck at even 2 on the volume despite the 6G6-B only having 1 preamp tube in the normal channel.

Let me know, I'm very curious and also ready to swing at a guy that shows up on stage w a 1x12 combo and ends up twice as loud as me w a blonde bassman. ps, I'm sorry youre having this situation and I hope it can be resolved because you have a rare fender amp made for a very very short time in history. Its special and you having it makes it even more special as a gretsch player.

– Dr. Titan McKrakus™ (two thumbs up!)

funny thing is that its more of a "drop kick" to the neck at the 1-2 position...:)

but it still sounds awesome! but like I said before its pretty loud but playable at the "1" position without the billy brain...

But once I get that beautiful tone coming from the billy brain, its like "house shaking" volume, still at the "1" position.

Thanks for the advice, I'll remove the pan and send you guys the picture of what it has... since I did get this from the Vintage room in back of Guitar Center in Hollywood, CA it may have been gone through an amp guy that may not be too keen on keeping the amp in its as original condition as possible. but whatever, I love this amp! been wanting one for years and it looks and sounds amazing!

here is a video I did the other day...the vol is at the "1" position in this video BTW...and the billy brain is turned on (both switches)

https://scontent-mia1-2.xx....

The small bottle 5881 will bring the heat down a bit and getting the hotter preamp tube Will get you break up a little earlier in volume. Also look at you speakers. V30s would be optimum. Like I said in your post a while back, you need to be certain about your innards being 63 correct. Look at GADs rumblings on the net its a good read and follows Tavo's recommendations. Seems you have over half of the work done. Now some fine tweaking should get you there.

On my all stock (except caps and tubes) '63 bassman (6G6-B) with V30s in cab, I get these decibel readings at 1 meter from amp on the following volume settings.

Normal channel:

1 = 40db of room noise but nothing from amp (pot is turned down as far as it will go)

2 = 90db

3 = 100db

Bass channel:

1 = 40db room noise, but nothing from amp (pot is as low as it will go)

2 = 100db

3 = 107db

Is there a phone app that measures db?

Yes. Owned one up until last year. They are monsters. In 93' I bought a 58' deluxe. That was the end the road for my bassman years.

Sure loved then bassman and what it offered but it was off the charts with volume for most clubs

I lent it (the 63 bassman head) to my pedal steel player for a few years. He made a nice 15" cabinet with a Jensen in it. That's was great. Really great.

Many times I was asked to turn down my deluxe. Perhaps it was the ep3 with 6120 combo

I can't imagine how loud my 6120/ep3 was back then with the blond bassman.

– Gasmoney

I can... I was there. More than once... ears are still ringing.

Is there a phone app that measures db?

– SLICKFASTER

I think so. But I use a sound meter I bought on Amazon.

By the way, those readings were with 6120 SSU using both pickups.

I typically run the amp at 110 volts but I gave you 120 volt readings for ease of comparison.

– Dr. Titan McKrakus™ (two thumbs up!)

heres what I was able to get to...

let me know if i should do anything else...taking this apart more is a little nerve-wracking lol

Much easier if you pull head out of box. Four screws on top and slide out. You'll get a good look at transformer codes. Then you'll see what's doing inside as well. Easy stuff. Take some pics of circuit.

What power tubes you got there? They look like kt88s. Woe, steroidal. If so, amp is not stock.

you mean outside the amp? and it just drops down?

Register Sign in to join the conversation