Billy Zoom's Jet Set

TV 60 years ago

But can you imagine only 3 channels, and you have to choose between Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps, Grand Ole Opry, or Elvis. No VCR's back then.

– Billy Zoom

I missed the fine print until you pointed it out. Cool stuff that night.

Back in the day when your TV went nuts and your neighbor, the local TV tube genius, would come over to fix it. I loved it when there was a puff of ozone and he ended up in the other room...

We may have too many choices nowadays. So much so that it seems that none of it is fit to watch. I can remember when we only had one channel to watch, and there were lots of live programs. It was fun to watch television come of age. Now I spend very little time watching TV. I play games on the computer and play my guitar instead. That's probably not a bad thing.

Saturday afternoon horse operas. That was the ticket. Watch one, then go outside to play Cowboys and Indians all afternoon...

Mom would shop for the groceries, and I would practice for the Space Shuttle commander position. I loved the Tube Tester, a zillion dials and that big meter. It was in a prime location in our local A&P, folks would line up to test their burned out TV tubes...simple times.

I miss the Variety shows and, Caroll Burnett and Red Skelton.

That Superman video isn't an audition. It's from the episode where the crooks got a Superman lookalike to rob banks. That's the fake Superman practicing, and the other guys are the bank robber gang.

That Superman video isn't an audition. It's from the episode where the crooks got a Superman lookalike to rob banks. That's the fake Superman practicing, and the other guys are the bank robber gang.

– Billy Zoom

haha..yeah i know.. the u-tube poster was bein cute...but its a great clip nevertheless

"great caesars ghost!"...glad to see another tv superman buff!!

cheers

Mom would shop for the groceries, and I would practice for the Space Shuttle commander position. I loved the Tube Tester, a zillion dials and that big meter. It was in a prime location in our local A&P, folks would line up to test their burned out TV tubes...simple times.

– Deed Eddy

Our tube tester was inside the front door to the left in the Ben Franklin store. The penny scale was to the right.

We used to go to the Drive In in my Dad's big 4 door Desoto to see all the new Elvis movies...There was always 2 fights scenes at least you could count on, (and I did)...My Sister and I could both sleep lengthwise on the back seat and would always be asleep by the time we got home-------My Dad and I would go down to Woolworths to test our tubes.....The Tube Dispenser/Tester was shaped like a Space Ship and looked 10 feet tall to me at the time. I was always interested in music, record players, speakers and radios even when I was very young, they were always around-- I do remember when Televisions were very well crafted pieces of furniture and included Radio and Phonographs,beautiful Maple and Mahogany very large ornate pieces of Furniture that were the focal point of the "living" rooms of the houses up and down our street.

My Dad's part time gig was repairing TVs and radios. Those drugstore testers purposely read good tubes as bad just to sell more tubes. He got out of the business when color TV came out as the cost of the test equipment was sky high. I'm old enough to remember not having TV and sitting around listening to the radio. Our first TV had a 5" screen.

My Mom had a part time gig at the local drive in theater. My uncle was the projectionist(partly how I got into the business) and I worked in the concession stand.

I remember seeing scary News bulletins about the Hells Angels very early on at the Drive Inns, they would actually do fake News bulletins about stuff to sway and scare people.....Hey, sounds like our current election process...ok, enough outta Me

60 years ago I was 13. Watching TV was something we did "now and then" -- it was not a lifestyle or a critical part of everyday living. That was probably better than now, but my view is (no doubt) jaundiced.

– Billy Zoom

Spade Cooley? Would like to see that. Ended up going to prison for torturing and killing his wife if I remember correctly.

" To the moon, Alice!"

When I "discovered" Ernie Kovacs, I was stunned. It's surprising to me that he made it onto TV since was such an outlier.

– Afire

Kovacs did it all from a tiny studio, in Philadelphia. And yes, he was a freakin' genius as TP notes.

And this other guy who was also a freakin' genius was on... once a day!

Say the magic woid, and the duck'll come down and give ya a hundred dollars!

Groucho is a personal favorite of mine----and he played guitar. When I was in the service, I became adept at signing forms "Capt. Geoffery T. Spaulding".

Remembering Crusader Rabbit, Captain Kangaroo, and an early taste for bizarre via "Modern Farmer", real early AM on Saturdays.

My father sold TVs in this little rural town we lived in, so we had one in the very early 50s, when I was an infant. Then we did have one of the first few color TVs in that town. (It was crap ... the TV). No money in that house, but we had entertainment. MD

Register Sign in to join the conversation