Billy Zoom's Jet Set

TV 60 years ago

Guess I'll watch Pawn Stars again tonight.

Tv guide would be the size of a phone book today... But who uses a phone book anymore either? My luggage didnt have wheels in 1980. Wtf?

It was all black and white and it shut down around 11PM. If you were lucky, there were three channels. We were real lucky and got Chicago as well as our local channels---and they had WGN as well as the three networks. Kids shows in the mornings and all morning on Saturday, and most stations ran great movies late nights.

Thankfully, we don't have those horrid five minute commercials anymore (now we get half hour infomercials). Commercials now aren't any smarter, but they have betters production values.

We didn't have tape or DVDs or remotes---I was the remote.

Speaking of remotes.. we had a Zenith TV with the Space Command (600, I believe) remote. It worked sonically to turn the TV on/off and rotate the channel selector.
Wabash, you'll get a kick out of this.. when my dad would come home from work in his 63 Stuidebaker Hawk (the one I still have), he would jingle his car keys while the TV was on and it would change the channels on the set. I know he did it just to annoy us..

It's eleven P.M. Do you know where your children are?

BZ, if you like XK120's check out an old Robert Mitchum film, Angel Eyes. Way more fun than Pawn Stars. I wanna see the Spade Cooley show, though.

That image is etched in my mind from falling asleep in front of the TV! Love it!

That image is etched in my mind from falling asleep in front of the TV! Love it!

– jps1965

It's eleven P.M. Do you know where your children are?

– Suprdave

Dave, there was one TV Station in northern Louisiana that would sign off playing "Dixie".

I remember watching Davy Crocket in "black and white" when it first "aired" in December 1954.

But can you imagine only 3 channels, and you have to choose between Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps, Grand Ole Opry, or Elvis. No VCR's back then.

brooklyn (gretsch era) classic..honeymooners..ed and ralph watchin captain video! haha

cheers

johnny burnette trio on ted mack amateur hour

cheers

Ted Mack was the Simon Cowell of the 1950s. I can't stand lack of talent shows. You have to sit thru 90% of the contestants to hear one good one.

I had one of those space helmets. I wish I still had it.

TV guide,

– Billy Zoom

TV Guides.......their mention belongs in my thread "Things you don't see anymore."

I had one of those space helmets. I wish I still had it.

– Billy Zoom

hahaha

cheers

I used to love to watch the Ernie Kovacs Show. I can't remember the name of that Gorilla Trio, but I can still hear their song in my head.

the real superman...doin brando!!

rip beloved george reeves

cheers

– Tartan Phantom

What's on the TV,man?

I dunno.Somethin' about Indians......

The apes on the Ernie Kovacs show were the Nairobi Trio. Kovacs was far ahead of his time. His use of TV as a medium unto itself was cutting edge.

The apes on the Ernie Kovacs show were the Nairobi Trio. Kovacs was far ahead of his time. His use of TV as a medium unto itself was cutting edge.

– wabash slim

Your comment is a slight understatement, Slim. Kovacs was a freakin' genius... even his commercials were great.

When I "discovered" Ernie Kovacs, I was stunned. It's surprising to me that he made it onto TV since was such an outlier.

Register Sign in to join the conversation