Other Guitars

NGD—After much hand wringing…a J-45 !

Other threads I have started here are evidence that I gave much thought and consideration to which acoustic guitar I wanted to purchase to replace my Taylor K-24ce (a long scale instrument I passed on to my son).

I wanted a "short scale" acoustic, and I was pretty sure that I wanted a "traditional" instrument....traditional woods, no cutaway, electronics not important, traditional colors.

From the beginning, I thought that a J-45 might just be what I wanted....

I looked at lots of guitars...at least lots of what was available locally, and even in Chicago. I looked at Collings, but was not crazy about spending $5K...I looked at Eastman. I looked at Breedlove, Martin, Leo Posche, and, even at Gibson's at the local GC. I even considered another Taylor Koa model...the K22ce, which is short scale (and came close...I happen to like "pretty", and the Taylor definitely fits that bill, and hits on playability, and sound for me, too).

Nothing really spoke to me when I picked it up. But, I just could not shake the idea that a J-45 would "do it" (even though the ones in the local GC were just "ok").

Well, after seeing a (kind of) beat up J-45 in "close out" at the local GC, at a good price, I decided to make some phone calls and see what kind of "deal" I could get on a new J-45.

I called a few places, and had a lengthy email exchange with Eddie's Guitars about a J-45 Custom that they had in stock.

Lo and behold...a couple days later, THIS shows up at my door.

I know it is dangerous to buy a guitar that you have not played "in person", but I got a price that made me decide to take a chance (and, they had a return policy, and I have bought from them in the past).....and, boy am I glad that I did!

After a slight adjustment of the truss rod, this thing plays great.

I've held back a couple weeks on the NGD announcement....and this one is sounding better every day. The more I play it, the better it sounds. It is pretty much exactly what I was wanting my next acoustic to be. It does have electronics, but they are very indiscreet...just a couple of small knobs inside the sound hole. And the appearance is very traditional but the "Custom" features...a bit more flashy inlays and a headstock inlay and some inlays on the bridge...are nicely done....not "too" flashy.

So, I am a happy camper and after a couple weeks, I still feel like this may just be the ideal acoustic guitar for me.

Congrats!

A member of the Guild forum was told by Ren Ferguson (who knows a thing or two about Gibson acoustic guitars) that GC was not the place to purchase one . . . sounds like you found a winner.

Sometimes you "know" it, even when you don't know it.

Congrats!

That's damn nice!

Congrats on your J-45. I would also love to have a 24 3/4" scale acoustic. I know what you mean about the acoustics (especially Gibsons at GC's). It's enough to make you cry how beat up those guitars get there. A good, well set-up J-45 is a dream acoustic IMO. I would guess that the dealer you purchased the J-45 from made sure that everything was kosher with that guitar (incl some adjustment and set-up) before it was shipped.

Nice ride! I've been thinking about acoustics lately and the J-45's I've been trying have really fit the bill. The wallet, not so much.... I did try a 2003 "Advanced Jumbo" which was also quite nice. I agree a thousand times on the "short scale" preference. Now if only Gretsch could make a flat top that equals the G400 in tone and quality. Or even a G400 with a short scale....

Ya can't go wrong w/ them. Some of the 70s one were pretty flaky, kinda like Booneville Gretsch... you have have to find the right one.

24 3/4 scale IS long scale to me.

Taylors are for chicks.

Sweet acquisition! Good on ya!

Congrats, Toddfan! A J45 is a wonderful thing. Man, do I miss mine.

Gongrats! The striped pickguard is definitely a nice touch as that's how they were back in the day. I customized mine with one. Dreads give me shoulder problems now so I regrettably had to sell mine. Luckily my good friend and bandmate was interested so I get to see/hear him play it at least once a week :)

J45,,helluva guitar. Great decision.

Nice guitar! Best of luck with it. A good J-45 will cover all the bases.

Good choice, love it !

You've got your baby but that's only step one! Your new darling now needs some 'seasoning' to bring out it's richness and make it easier to play. Put it in a stand and place it in front of a speaker with some nice music playing. Your guitar will sing along, albeit silently, but this will fast track the break in period dramatically.

Congrats! That's a beauty!

You've got your baby but that's only step one! Your new darling now needs some 'seasoning' to bring out it's richness and make it easier to play. Put it in a stand and place it in front of a speaker with some nice music playing. Your guitar will sing along, albeit silently, but this will fast track the break in period dramatically.

– Windsordave

Nice suggestion....and, I will do that as soon as I find it in me to stop holding it in my arms and playing it!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Register Sign in to join the conversation