Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Tone advice

Hi Billy, I know this is a broad topic but; What is your advice for getting a good overdrive sound out of Dynasonic pickups? I just bought a White a Penguin and I'm searching for "that" sound. My amp sounds amazing with my filtertron equipped guitar, I just haven't found it yet for the Penguin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody use a P-90 and T-Armand together? Does TV Jones make a P-90 that fits into a dynasonic cover?

Turn the amp up until it sounds right.

Anybody use a P-90 and T-Armand together? Does TV Jones make a P-90 that fits into a dynasonic cover?

– Hipbone

TV Jones does make a T90 disguised as a dyna, pretty sweet looking. I believe Billy uses a dyna in the neck and Kent Armstrong P90 in the bridge these days.

Turn the amp up until it sounds right.

– Billy Zoom

I wish it was that simple... Unfortunately most places I play a can't turn up any louder even with a 20 watt amp. I guess I need a 12 watt beast.

I noticed compared to my other guitars that I have to turn down the bass on my amp for my Duo Jet with Dynasonics. I have the bass at about 2 or 3, treble and mids around 7 or 8. For reference with my Strat or Jazzmaster everything sounds good on 10.

I play through a 15 watt Fender tube amp. I always keep the amp volume on 10 and adjust the guitar volume accordingly. I have enough volume for most gigs clean or distorted.

Ok, I've been searching the web for advice on getting the Penguin to handle some gain. Here is what I found, it is possible, pretty simple and the results are pretty impressive.

I did three simple mods to get what I feel is a nice overdriven sound. This guitar can now handle all the gain I can dial up.

First I flipped the pickups, that is I moved the pole pieces on each pickup so they point to the center of the guitar. This seems to give a more balanced tone from both pickups. Next I wrapped the underside of the pickups with rubber bands. The idea is that it keeps all the individual parts under there from vibrating and causing ungodly squealing with gain. I wrapped the magnets in pairs of two.

Next I filled the pickup cavities with foam rubber. This is to further keep the squealing at bay.

The result.... this thing will scream with the best of them. This might not be your idea of a "gretach tone" but it's nice to be able to dial it up without worrying about damaging everyone's ears in the building with non musical feedback. The clean tone, to my ears remains unchanged except the pickups seem better balanced.

Ok, I've been searching the web for advice on getting the Penguin to handle some gain. Here is what I found, it is possible, pretty simple and the results are pretty impressive.

I did three simple mods to get what I feel is a nice overdriven sound. This guitar can now handle all the gain I can dial up.

First I flipped the pickups, that is I moved the pole pieces on each pickup so they point to the center of the guitar. This seems to give a more balanced tone from both pickups. Next I wrapped the underside of the pickups with rubber bands. The idea is that it keeps all the individual parts under there from vibrating and causing ungodly squealing with gain. I wrapped the magnets in pairs of two.

Next I filled the pickup cavities with foam rubber. This is to further keep the squealing at bay.

The result.... this thing will scream with the best of them. This might not be your idea of a "gretach tone" but it's nice to be able to dial it up without worrying about damaging everyone's ears in the building with non musical feedback. The clean tone, to my ears remains unchanged except the pickups seem better balanced.

– Hipbone

I also flipped the pickups on my Duo Jet. It also works better for me.

Silicone caulk helps subdue the squeal.

It wasn't enough to make the gold Seymour useable though.

The treatment I did to mine seems to have solved the "squeal" issue. I have a gig next Saturday, that will be the true test. I wonder if stuffing foam in the pickup cavity was the ticket! I should have done the rubber bands without the foam to see what kinda change it made. I used "a lot" of rubber bands.

It wasn't enough to make the gold Seymour useable though.

– Billy Zoom

Why wasn't the Seymour usable?

I installed tv jones t armonds in mine and the shit instructions led me to bust the 'light' waxing. Resulted in nasty squealing. This was the humbucker sized model with mounts and bits of sticky rubber. So, I got it waxed locally and they filled the whole thing up! Sounded ok, a bit fat n dull though. So now I'm breaking the law and raising the poles for more bite. Rehearsing tomorrow so will see if it works. For me that is.

Opted for a Powertron bridge pickup in a Dearmond mount. I'm sure this will give it some balls.

Opted for a Powertron bridge pickup in a Dearmond mount. I'm sure this will give it some balls.

– Hipbone

I love Power'trons in the bridge position.

I like P90's in the bridge position.

I like playing with P 90's on the middle position.

I like P90's in the bridge position.

– Billy Zoom

I like that too.

Installed the TV Jones Powertron in the bridge today. First impressions... I fricken love it! Some very usable tones out of this guitar now. The surprise is the middle position. It has a very nice sound for rhythm playing. In the middle position now the tone is very balanced between all strings, the bass doesn't overpower everything. And the tone from the Powertron alone is just magic. Now I can grab some gain and go. Interesting, it sounds more like a single coil ( clear and punchy)in this guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation