Billy Zoom's Jet Set

The language of music:

3:55 Dick Dale pronounces Reverb:

I like Ray-verb-a!

Kinda like shopping @ Tar-jshay instead of "Target"...

And it will always be tin-Night-us...like Johnny Unitas.

My ears have been a train wreck lately...Ear, Nose, and Throat Doc Appt early next month.

Yup. It's tin-Night-us, and it RE-verb.

Ask your ear doctors how it's pronounced.

The one that always bugs me is either "truh-MEL-o" or "truh-MO-lo". It's correctly pronounced "TREM-uh-lo".

I can't get used to pronouncing tinnitus correctly, with the accent on the first syllable, but the medical community uses that. If the accent was on the second syllable, like arthritis, it would suggest an actual disease. The tinnitus originates in the brain for some mysterious reason as a response to damage in the nervous system of the ear; usually the auditory nerve or the tiny hair cell nerves in the cochlea. When deafness is 'turned off' with switchable cochlear implants, the tinnitus goes away. As soon as the implants are turned off, the ringing sound returns. There is a research project in Buffalo that has proven this. I just wish the stem cell research into sensory deafness was further along so I and hundreds of thousands of others could have at least one day free of the jet engine in our heads before we die.

Pronounced al-you-minimum. Like jag-you-are.

-itis is a medical suffix meaning “inflammation of”, i.e., appendicitis, arthritis, epicondylitis, etc., and the stress is on the first ‘i’.

Tinnitus is a Latin word that means ringing in the ears and the stress is on the ‘tinn’. It has nothing to do with swellings.

It is the conflation of these two things that leads to the mispronunciation.

English pronunciation of aluminium is aloo-MIN-ium - we don’t say a hard U as in Jaguar. In fact, the U is more likely to be a schwa, so neither ‘oo’ nor ‘yoo’.

I can't get used to pronouncing tinnitus correctly, with the accent on the first syllable, but the medical community uses that. If the accent was on the second syllable, like arthritis, it would suggest an actual disease. The tinnitus originates in the brain for some mysterious reason as a response to damage in the nervous system of the ear; usually the auditory nerve or the tiny hair cell nerves in the cochlea. When deafness is 'turned off' with switchable cochlear implants, the tinnitus goes away. As soon as the implants are turned off, the ringing sound returns. There is a research project in Buffalo that has proven this. I just wish the stem cell research into sensory deafness was further along so I and hundreds of thousands of others could have at least one day free of the jet engine in our heads before we die.

– Journeyman

This seems to be true from my experience. The nerve to my right ear was destroyed by a brain tumor and the operation to remove it. I have absolutely no hearing on the right side, completely mono. It also messed with my balance, as the connection between the inner ear and the brain has been severed. Even though I have no more hearing on the right than I have from my elbow, I do have a constant ringing that seems to be coming from my right side of my head. That seems to prove that my tinnitus is in the brain, not in the ear.

English pronunciation of aluminium is aloo-MIN-ium - we don’t say a hard U as in Jaguar. In fact, the U is more likely to be a schwa, so neither ‘oo’ nor ‘yoo’.

– Deke Martin

I love this discussion.

We have a family friend whom we’ve known for years. She’s British and most definitely pronounces the word al-yoo-minium.

Maybe it’s a girl thing.

She also says squeeril when she is clearly referring to a squirrel.

By the way Deke, I’m almost finished with the TV Jones powered Tele that you graciously supplied the pickup for.

Or is it a peekoop?

Well stateside, there's no extra "I" in Aluminum so we don't say "ium" at the end.

Are we spelling it wrong too?

I worked with the Brits for 5 years...hard to believe we speak the same language.

I laugh when I see websites identifying USA English...

I'll need to check my "said-jewel" again for my ENT appointment!

Well stateside, there's no extra "I" in Aluminum so we don't say "ium" at the end.

Are we spelling it wrong too?

– Suprdave

I believe the rest of the world spells it aluminium. We’re the only holdouts.

You can blame Noah Webster and his spelling reform of 1828 for most of the spelling inconsistencies between our two nations.

As far as pronunciation goes there are vast differences even within our tiny little isle so it’s difficult to get an accurate comparison. Personally I’ve never pronounced a hard YOO in aluminium and don’t recall ever hearing it; as I said before it most commonly gets slurred into a schwa so it’s pretty indistinct.

And by the way, it’s called English for a reason...

And by the way, it’s called English for a reason...

Hey, you've been to Tennessee. You that isn't how they roll.

Around parts of the Midwest, Jaguar is pronounced Jag-wire.

Two countries separated by a common language.

Then, there's Australian.

Yep, and Warshington crossed the Delaware.

Register Sign in to join the conversation