Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Screwing down Melita

Billy, how did you screw your melita down? Did you just drill right through the bridge into the body all at once? What size/length screws? Is there anything I risk drilling into inside? Its a silver jet, 2016, so heavily chambered

Drill pilot holes through the bridge base and body. Then, enlarge and countersink the holes in the base. Be really sure you have the bridge in the right spot before you drill anything...intonation correct and strings centered over pole pieces.

Thanks for responding Billy. What length screws? I don't want to go further than I have to. Would you use fender pickguard screws or something?

Probably whatever was in my junk drawers. I can look when I get home. The Country Gent I have on tour right now came with a pinned bridge, although I plan to screw a gold Melita to it as soon as we get a break in touring.

Is there a certain tool to countersink the base? I have a craftsman drill with all the different bits

Is there a certain tool to countersink the base? I have a craftsman drill with all the different bits

– Chmason85

I'm sure there are more correct ways to do it, but I just use a drill bit slightly larger than the head of the screw, then I carefully drill just a liiiittle into whatever piece of wood or plastic I'm working on.

Anders

I'm sure there are more correct ways to do it, but I just use a drill bit slightly larger than the head of the screw, then I carefully drill just a liiiittle into whatever piece of wood or plastic I'm working on.

Anders

– gretschoholic

That sounds like it should work, have you drilled through a melita base before as well? I'm just trying to be as meticulous as possible cause this is a one shot deal on my prized guitar. People say have a luthier do it, but it seems crazy to pay for someone to drill two holes. I'm handy with a drill and have built whole guitars before

Also, I purchased a bag of stainless fender pickguard screws, they seemed to be the perfect length to just go far enough in the body to secure everything

Done! Fender pickguard screws are perfect for this job

If you want to countersink the holes so the tapered screw heads don't sit proud of the bridge, get a drill bit much bigger than you'd think (probably 2x the diameter of the screw head), center it in the hole, and give it a few turns BY HAND. This will make a very clean countersink.

If you want to countersink the holes so the tapered screw heads don't sit proud of the bridge, get a drill bit much bigger than you'd think (probably 2x the diameter of the screw head), center it in the hole, and give it a few turns BY HAND. This will make a very clean countersink.

– charlie chitlins

By hand, or reverse the drill so the bit turns backwards and doesn't "bite" in.

It's been done, I posted the pic above. After the guitar was all set up right, it was about 1 minute of work. It wasn't as mystical as some were leading me to believe, as is the case with most things I've found. The countersink method Charlie and Anders mentioned worked perfectly. Screwing the bridge down was a good idea, at least for me!

Billy, do you still have a lot of those flat screws available?

Thanks for posting the picture. I often thought I would like a secure bridge for my Duo Jet.

It definitely took me quite some time to hit a setup I like and the courage to drill into the top of my shiny jet, but not worrying about the bridge moving at all is awesome! And I don't know why, but the bigsby action improved as a byproduct, I'm guessing cause it now has a fixed path to follow

In case anyone wonders what size screw, it's just fender pickguard screws, and I used a 5/64 drill bit for the pilot holes, then a 3/16 bit for the countersinking

Or is it a '53? I can't believe I can never remember... SPIKE!!!

Yes I still have a lot of those flat screws.

Why in the world does any guitar maker Not pin the bridges?

Register Sign in to join the conversation