Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Saw X in Seattle

Saw X in Seattle a few months back. This was 2nd time for me;saw them in the 80's too.

They did their Rockabilly semi acoustic gig.

It was awesome but I missed Johnny Hit and Run Pauline

Billy was great as expected.

I played in a band in college and we covered some X tunes 85-90 at UCSB

My ONE COMPLAINT

after the show was over I waited patiently and while the guitar tech was coiling a chord I tried to ask him a simple question about Billy's Gretsch

The guy was frankly a total asshole, blew me off and treated me like dirt. I was standing in the audience, wasn't in his way, and he was just coiling a chord.

It was a lame cap to an AWESOME show

The Blasters were great also

We covered Marie Marie and some others as well so these were bands that have inspired me as a player not just as a fan

I doubt Billy would have acted towards me the way his tech did

I spent years producing bands and concerts, so I've dealt with Prima Donnas (don't get me started on Chrissie Hynde) but mostly found musicians to be friendly to their fans, viewing them from my vantage point back and in front of the stage

But this tech should recognise that fans are why he GETS PAID and gets to tour with these legendary artists

At the time, I had never owned Ma Gretsch

That has now changed

But as a guitar tech for a guitarist that has a Gretsch signature model himself maybe he should be a WEE BIT better at interacting with fans

I might be the next to buy a BZ Jet

Btw, his AMP sounded amazing too

I'm aware he is a tube amp genius

Regardless, great show and nothing but respect for Mr Kindell!

What was the question you were trying to ask? We don't have a guitar tech. I don't know who put my cords away. It might have been our manager or our soundman.

I was just trying to ask a question about one of your guitars - the main one you played

In retrospect guy might have been an employee of the venue

I spent years in concert production - scores of bands

Ime, almost all are cool to deal with , with the occasional Prima Donna

Ironically, some of the biggest stars are the most down to earth

Regardless I just wanted to ask about the model of Gretsch you were playing

Back then I owned none - now I have 3 and am studying all I can

In college I played in a band, covered X , Plimsouls, Beatles, Echo etc

Didn't have a Gretsch but ironically many of my favorite guitarists played hollowbodies or Gretsches

I just gravitated towards that sound, especially Duffy From the Cult

I bought a 1980 AS200 Ibanez Artist model that I still have

Epic hollowbody tone

The 6120 in your photo is a Duane Eddy model with a few mods. It has the standard Dynasonics, a gold Melita bridge, and a gold Bigsby. I tried to make it look like my old 1957 6120, with the black pickguard etc. It's a very nice guitar, but of course, everything sounds good through that amp. Both amps are Gretsch prototypes that I built for the 2009 NAMM show. Unfortunately, Gretsch quit selling amps around that time because of the poor economy. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them here.
BZ

The 6120 in your photo is a Duane Eddy model with a few mods. It has the standard Dynasonics, a gold Melita bridge, and a gold Bigsby. I tried to make it look like my old 1957 6120, with the black pickguard etc. It's a very nice guitar, but of course, everything sounds good through that amp. Both amps are Gretsch prototypes that I built for the 2009 NAMM show. Unfortunately, Gretsch quit selling amps around that time because of the poor economy. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them here.
BZ

– Billy Zoom

Thanks a lot Billy. I have a cassette tape (remember those) of my band in 1987'ish doing Johnny Hit and Run Pauline and Los Angeles somewhere. I think it fell into my lost socks vortex. If I could find it, I'd post it so you could have a laugh.

I had a Dean Markley stack back then. MAN, I wish I kept that amp. It sounded great and I've never even seen one since then.

Register Sign in to join the conversation