Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Recommended EL84 tubes

Posting this here because I know Billy is the authority on all things tubes. I recently purchased a
Vox ac10c1 with a Greenback speaker from Sweetwater. Love everything about this amp. I started hearing a faint rattle/chime from the power tubes when playing on the low e string. Called Sweetwater and they sent me a new pair of Groove tube El84s. This set sounds very different then the power tubes it came with. The amp is super brite now, too brite! it came with some cheap Chinese tubes that actually sounded good, they just petered out very quick.

Anyway my question is... what are the best tubes for this amp?

I know GT just puts their brand name on other tubes and resells them. This pair is made in Slovakia.

jj's are the closest to old school mullards (the ultimate best) i've heard....of current crop...and i'm a uk el84 amp type guy

old usa ge's were also great!

check out AES... tubesandmore.com for good deals and good customer service... if any returns are ever needed...important!

cheers

Thanks. I just turned the treble way down on the amp and it's seems to be a tone I like. I've just never had to dial the treble back this much before!

a nice alnico mag speaker will also tame those highs!!!

the classic vox amps had alnico speakers...warm with chime...huge part of vox sound!

look at celestion alnico speakers

cheers

Not sure about that amp but in my BJR I ran TAD El84’s ..really liked them.Can’t go wrong with JJ’s though.

Regular Sovteks, or the new Mullards are OK too. I don't trust anything from JJ.

Those are really good, especially the ones with 60's or 70's date codes.

dang I though alnico was hi-end and ceramic was darker

I've had very good luck with JJ EL84s, and know a lot of people who share that opinion. I don't trust my ears enough to make any tone-word generalizations (i.e., chimey, airy, 3D), but I'll say they sound fine to me and I've never heard anybody claim that they're too bright. The main thing is that they are rugged and can survive in rough conditions that ate other tubes in my limited experience. No idea about their other tubes, but they would be my go-to for a modern EL84.

I've had very good luck with JJ EL84s, and know a lot of people who share that opinion. I don't trust my ears enough to make any tone-word generalizations (i.e., chimey, airy, 3D), but I'll say they sound fine to me and I've never heard anybody claim that they're too bright. The main thing is that they are rugged and can survive in rough conditions that ate other tubes in my limited experience. No idea about their other tubes, but they would be my go-to for a modern EL84.

– Afire

Just re-tubed my AC15C1 with JJ's as well. The amp sounds a lot better to my ears. The stock Chinese tubes were okay, but I thought I could do better. The JJ's really did the trick - they seemed to really open the amp up.

JJ’s must be better, I’ve had horrible luck with those.

Thanks for the responses. The Groove tubes actually sound very good now. Not sure if they took a little time to break in? I was curious about Groove Tubes and it looks like GT EL84’s are made by JJ Electronics.

I’ve had 2 gigs with the new tubes and it’s sonic bliss. Nothing but great things to say about the amp and about Sweetwater for sending me replacement tubes at no cost.

Fender Groove Tubes are now all JJ. That's why they have such a high failure rate.

Just re-tubed my AC15C1 with JJ's as well. The amp sounds a lot better to my ears. The stock Chinese tubes were okay, but I thought I could do better. The JJ's really did the trick - they seemed to really open the amp up.

– Telechamp

my blues junior is tubed with the same. Sound ok for a froggie

I've got some Japanese Magnavox GBQ5s that I really like.

Register Sign in to join the conversation