Billy Zoom's Jet Set

RE-201: Make “from PA” input guitar-friendly

I have a 201 which I've been bringing back to life. One thing that would make recording much easier would be to be able to route the echo-only output to one amp and the dry to another. The only way I can figure out to do that is to go into the "From PA" input, as the normal inputs mix the echo and dry at the output - lots of fun, but I tend to crank the echo too much for the actual mix. So...

Am I missing something?

Would the normal Billy Zoom input mod work on the PA input?

Thanks,

Myles

That’s correct. The From PA input means you can use it in an aux buss scenario, which is what you need to achieve what you’re looking for.

Level matching is a whole ‘nother ball game, I’ll let the pros chime in on that.

That’s correct. The From PA input means you can use it in an aux buss scenario, which is what you need to achieve what you’re looking for.

Level matching is a whole ‘nother ball game, I’ll let the pros chime in on that.

– Deke Martin

Yep, and part of the problem is that I'd really like to keep the ability to use it in just that way for mixing in the studio.

The ideal would be to put a switchable BZ'd instrument-level input on the From PA input. I'm going to fool around with the pedal-in-bypass thing to see if I can get closer to what I want.

The PA input is line level. You'd need a preamp.

Assuming your amp has 2 inputs....guitar to input one, cord from input two to SpaceEcho input. SpaceEcho output to second amp.

You should still do the FET mod to the SpaceEcho though!

Assuming your amp has 2 inputs....guitar to input one, cord from input two to SpaceEcho input. SpaceEcho output to second amp.

– Billy Zoom

This would still mean amp 2 has a mixed signal rather than echo only.

If amp 1 has an effects loop you can take a line from the send to the PA input on the 201 and then the output of the 201 to amp 2.

Try plugging an unterminated 1/4" plug into the PA jack while using the Instrument jack for an input. I'm home & my schematics are at the shop, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think plugging into the PA jack will break the Normal. Try it! Just like I described above, but with an unconnected plug in the PA jack. If it works, try it with a shorted plug in the PA jack to reduce noise.

Register Sign in to join the conversation