Billy Zoom's Jet Set

P-90 on BZ 6122-59

Hi Billy, I was wondering why the switch to the P-90 in the bridge on your 6122-59 from the SD verson of the DeArmond pickup you've been using?

Do you use the pickups separately for different tones or in tandem?

It came with Filtertrons. I put on the Kent Armstrong P90 and the Seymour DeArmond. The gold Seymour squealed so bad I couldn't use it, and they wouldn't return my phone calls, so I replaced it with a chrome Seymour that I had left over from the BZ Tribute models. I usually like the Seymour DeArmonds, but Seymour and his staff are always stuck up and rude to me. I had to pay list price for the gold pickup that I can't use. I offered to pay for another one if they could make one that didn't sqeal, but M.J. never returned my calls. I've tried to talk to Seymour at several NAMM shows, but he's always too rude to even shake hands or say hi. Yes, I use the pickups separately for different tones or in tandem. They sound great. I think I might replace the Seymour with real vintage DeArmond, since I'm mixing chrome and gold anyway.

BTW, Seymour Duncan and his crew suck, in case I didn't make that clear already.

Plus he won't sell Beck/Yardbirds Esquire back to Beck who would really like it back... or so the story goes.

Why are they so rude when you try and deal with them? I have no experience with them, only dimarzio which is always good

Thanks Billy. Forgetting Seemore Dipsh*ts for a moment, I'm curious why you preferred a P90 in the bridge over the DeArmond type pickup?

I don't know about rude but they are stupid and whoever answers their email at SD has no clue about their product.

I remember calling Seymour Duncan's custom shop to ask a question about making me a Dynasonic set about a year and a half ago, a friend of mine had told me that the SD set was great but it didn't need the reverse wind that they do on one of the pickups in the set. I called that place 3 separate times and left 3 messages, never heard a word back.....I moved on and found an original 50's set

Don't know about Duncan (I do like their pu's) but TV Jones has great customer service along with great products.

Tom makes great pickups, and he always takes my calls, and he's a great guy, but he's always too busy to do anything custom for me. The P90 has more midrange than a DeArmond, and that's better for crunchy stuff like X. I'd have put one on my Silver Jet 40 years ago if there was such a thing as a P90 with a Dearmond footprint so I didn't have to cut up the guitar. For X music, I have to add a lot of 750hz to the Silver Jet at the amp. That's why I build active mid controls into my amps. A P90 will squeal at 1K, a DeArmond squeals at around 2.5K FWIW, a defective Seymour squeals constantly at around 800hz at any volume.

That's just wrong. Those custom shop Duncan DeArmonds don't come cheap. There's no excuse for poor customer service.

Not cheap at all. I'm still walking a little funny.

I really like what I've heard from TV Jones' T90. It sounds like a P90 with some Dynasonic clarity from the clips. I would love to find a guitar to put them in.

I really like what I've heard from TV Jones' T90. It sounds like a P90 with some Dynasonic clarity from the clips. I would love to find a guitar to put them in.

– BuddyHollywood

Yeah, I've been wanting to try the T90's as well (maybe in an SG!). I already have three sets of TV Jones pickups (Powertrons, T-Armonds, and the new Tele pickups). All of them are outstanding, and I regularly gig the guitars I have them in.

Yeah, I've been wanting to try the T90's as well (maybe in an SG!). I already have three sets of TV Jones pickups (Powertrons, T-Armonds, and the new Tele pickups). All of them are outstanding, and I regularly gig the guitars I have them in.

– Frank_NH

I have an Anniversary Players edition I like playing acoustically but haven't liked the sound out of the stock pickups. I love the Dynasonics on my Duo Jet, especially the sound of the teeth rattling yet clear bass string runs on the bridge pickup. And the middle position too. Was thinking about a T-Armond bridge coupled with a T-90 neck pickup. Hoping I might be able to get some jump blues/swing tones, Rock N Roll, Rockabilly and still have the surf/spaghetti western sounds I like.

I'd go the other way around, but OK. For me, a DeArmond bridge can be a little too bright, and a P90 neck can be a little too muddy.

Doesn't TVJ make a stock DeArmond that would work? I'm guessing potting the Duncan is out of the question? The Lollar P-90s are seem much clearer than my other ones. They don't seem as crowded in the mids as some.

I use Brantley Rewinds to have pickups wound. He worked for Fralin for years. He's make me some great pickups for the price of off the shelf Duncans. He answers the phone and I've never had any trouble getting him to make things for me. He actually made some humbuckers that got me using them again after a 20 year break.

He'd make you a P-90 DeArmond. If you didn't like it he would take it back too.

I took the Duncan out of the case and packed it with silicone caulk. It lowered the pitch of the squeal about an octave.

Seems like the wax, or what ever has to get into the coils for it to work. Some people think potting kills the vibe, but squealing kills my vibe.

BTW, Seymour Duncan and his crew suck, in case I didn't make that clear already.

– Billy Zoom

Don't hold back, Billy.

Tell us how you really feel.

I WAS holding back.

– Billy Zoom

Let it rip Billy! I have a dynasonic question, and that is how far is it okay to raise the poles out from the bridge pickup? I've read that some people say it's fine, but others say don't raise the poles but raise the whole pickup with another riser, what is the difference, if any?

Let it rip Billy! I have a dynasonic question, and that is how far is it okay to raise the poles out from the bridge pickup? I've read that some people say it's fine, but others say don't raise the poles but raise the whole pickup with another riser, what is the difference, if any?

– Chmason85

I've done both. Raising the poles will get you a clearer high end. Raising the whole pickup will get you more of everything. I raised the bridge pickup with TV Jones Dynasonic risers and then adjusted the poles for string balance. For the neck pickup I raised the poles only and they are raised higher than the bridge pickup poles. I'm not into the Woman tone on my neck pickup. I wanted my neck Dynasonic to be more on the Stratocaster neck pickup side of the spectrum than the Les Paul neck pickup side of the spectrum if that makes any sense. The beauty of Dynasonics is you can adjust them for either depending on your preference.

So the TV jones risers are foam, correct? More of everything sounds like what I'm looking for... Two questions: 1) can the foam risers be added on top of the plastic stock gretsch ones? 2) being that they are foam, can I tighten one side more to make the pickup poles aim straight up to the strings? I have a jet, so in stock form the pickups are sort of pointing out in a very very subtle "V" shape, following the carve of the top with the hard gretsch risers, if you know what I mean

The Dyna spacers I've gotten from TVJ are foam. I stacked them on top of the hard spacers and found that there was enough give in them to fine tune height, angle, etc. by tightening the mounting screws more or less, especially at the bridge position, where I used more of them (more foam=more squishability).

Register Sign in to join the conversation