Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Our 1963 Zenith Console Stereo Hi-Fi ….

It is wonderful, 50 years on, "record changer" modified for CD, my hearing aids fully attenuated...when exactly do components wear out?

My wife brought home a few new CDs today...

Mom used to play her Mario Lanza and Patsy Cline and Barbra Streisand records, I used to play my own late 60's, early 70's favorites...when do I rebuild this thing?

Makes no sense to do the original Turntable over..two generations earlier than what I already own.

Billy, I hope you can help out, now and or later...

As long as you keep using it, the turntable will keep working. Capacitors need to be replaced every few decades or so. I just rebuilt a late-50's Telefunken console that had been left sitting for a few years and the turntable was frozen. It cleaned up nicely.

I last played a record two years ago, speed control was OK for a while, then it wavered a bit. Most of what I read describes a rebuild and relube, and probably a new capstan. But, then I say "Why?". The CD is much better, and I only risk damaging my better vinyl versus my main Hi Fi set-up.

Last night was the first time with the hearing aids, I am sure that changed my appreciation.

There has been no service on the unit since originally purchased. I can see where my Dad had wired extra speaker connections for both dining and living room coverage.

That's it, looks the same as it did in my youth, although I did have a furniture touch-up Pro go over it when he did all our better furniture when everything finally came out of storage.

We have been periodically making an evening of listening to the Zenith sing over a nice dinner...it keeps the whole event special.

Nothing like it. No cd here though. Just turntable. No radio.

This unit also has an AM/FM tuner section, that still works, too.

Here in Charleston, we have a half dozen stations that tune in well, even w/o an antennae extension.

Can't say "radio content" does much for me anymore, not like the old days...

As long as you keep using it, the turntable will keep working. Capacitors need to be replaced every few decades or so. I just rebuilt a late-50's Telefunken console that had been left sitting for a few years and the turntable was frozen. It cleaned up nicely.

– Billy Zoom

It did turn out GREAT ! and I've been enjoying playing records on it weekly....thanks again !

It sounds amazing......much better than the modern Bose.

I saw an old giant size magnavox for sale at secondhand store today. 80 bucks. It's about 12 long. In great shape

That's just a little over $6.50 per foot. Better get it.

There is a guy here in town who does Amp and Hi Fi rebuilds and refurbishments.

I had one email exchange, and since then impossible to even get a reply. Maybe he died.

Check this site out... furnishmevintage.com

The Hi Fi section is a little light right now, they have an exclusive tech who does all the refurbs and CD conversions...think they are in Florida, I called once about something.

We have all my folks better mid-century Danish mahogany tables, too. Imagine an older Jet leaning up next to one of those for a photo snap!

I have an old Motorola console stereo .

I was driving down the road and I made a U Turn when I noticed an old relic of a console stereo ,I have never in my Life stopped for anything on the side of the road before,but today was going to be my lucky day.I found it discarded by the side of a dumpster,upon further inspection I noticed that it was in very good shape and complete minus a power cord.I loaded onto the back of my pickup got it home and wired it up, and after a few minutes to warm up the tubes,it Worked.I have a soft spot for old "worn in" things so the smile I had when I spun a record and sound came out was huge.

I'm guessing it is 1960's but I cannot find any information on it.It plays records and sounds pretty decent.The volume knob is a little scratchy but every Sunday morning its tuned to "Breakfast with The Beatles" on KLOS. They dont make em like they used to.

This was my mother's, a gift from my father,...she enjoyed it more than I can describe.

Register Sign in to join the conversation