Billy Zoom's Jet Set

New Ranchers

I just got a Rancher Jumbo and Rancher Jr. They're both absolutely beautiful.
Thanks Joe.

Cool. Let us know how they sound. I think the rub had been there's wasn't much bottom or projection on the previous Ranchers.

I have a Rancher Jr., and it's pretty trebly and timid compared to my little O-18 Martin.

nice to hear they are takin care of the old time loyalists

fact that they are nice guitars , is icing on the cake

good for you bz...enjoy

cheers

Sweet...I'm anxious on the projection aspect myself.Got a jumbo Rancher ordered but won't be here til May...I think.

Thanks Joe.

– Billy Zoom

Thanks Joe.

– BillyZoom

And....?

They both have way more bottom and projection than the old Ranchers. I can't guarantee that they'll sound better than a good Martin, but they sound good. That's not a very fair comparison. Martins cost more than my cars. Rancher build quality is excellent. I don't even know where they're made, but the quality is very good. The cases are nice too.
BZ

Thanks BZ, good to hear an endorsement from someone like you. I really want to check out the Jumbo once they hit the stores. I've never found an acoustic that really spoke to me, I'm hoping that one will.

I've been generally unhappy with my Martin 000-28EC. Maybe it's time for a Rancher. Thanks for the heads up, BZ!

I think the thing I'm hearing loudest is that Rancher acoustics are getting sent out by Joe, which is good news for Rancher winners from the NAMM giveaway.

I think the thing I'm hearing loudest is that Rancher acoustics are getting sent out by Joe, which is good news for Rancher winners from the NAMM giveaway.

– Cousin Steve

– kuzinov (Cousin Steve)

my thoughts exactly

I want to get my hands on a couple of these too. The ones i played sounded great and I was surprised to see the price was very affordable.

good for you bz...enjoy

cheers

– neatone

good for you bz...enjoy

cheers

– neatone

Right on that.... Gretsch was toast by 1980, and forgotten by most in that decade... the decade of pointy heavy metal guitars, polka dot Flying Vs, etc., mind -numbing STrat&Tele tunnel vision/conformity, etc. but then here's BZ and Brian Setzer and I guess just a few others who were BEING COOL AND KEEPING THE FAITH, KEEPERS OF THE FLAME in the 80s when it came to putting Gretsch out in front of people.

The best part of this review is Billy, he wouldn't hesitate to tell us if they sucked or had issues. I can't wait to get my Jumbo.

I don't even know where they're made, but the quality is very good. >

I was told by my rep that the new Ranchers are made in Indonesia. I know a lot of companies are shifting production there from China and other like ESP are starting to use Vietnam for guitar production. We got a new Rancher Dreadnaught in the shop and it's great for the price. Cheap acoustics keep getting better and better. They're starting to lose the boxiness that kind of came with them. They're starting to open up. I actually have a generic Morgan Monroe acoustic which my dad re-leveled, crowned, etc the frets for me and it sounds just as good and plays just as well as the Guild D-55 it replaced (it was a newer 2000's, Tacoma made Guild). They're getting better..

My mentioning the Martin was about it's small body + big sound (the O-18 is tiny) . It's the only acoustic I know, besides the Rancher Jr.

I was told by my rep that the new Ranchers are made in Indonesia. I know a lot of companies are shifting production there from China and other like ESP are starting to use Vietnam for guitar production. We got a new Rancher Dreadnaught in the shop and it's great for the price. Cheap acoustics keep getting better and better. They're starting to lose the boxiness that kind of came with them. They're starting to open up. I actually have a generic Morgan Monroe acoustic which my dad re-leveled, crowned, etc the frets for me and it sounds just as good and plays just as well as the Guild D-55 it replaced (it was a newer 2000's, Tacoma made Guild). They're getting better..

– Joel Hibbs

– Joel

What's the neck profile like on the Rancher Dreadnought Joel?

I was told by my rep that the new Ranchers are made in Indonesia. I know a lot of companies are shifting production there from China and other like ESP are starting to use Vietnam for guitar production.

Interesting.....keep production in one Asian Country until labor rates start to go up and then move on to the next. What are they gonna due when they run out of Asian Countries? Maybe they will come back to the USA....we could be the source of cheap labor by then :(

I was actually looking at a lower-line Martin, but now I think I gotta plunk on one of these before I make a final decision.

I'm a definite fan of X, by the way. My brother and I used to ditch school and listen to Los Angeles while we fished in a local spillway. I saw Decline of Western Civilization and thought, "That guitarist is kind of a badass" (refering to BZ). Actually, I think X was the perfect storm of punk rock goodness.

I think their decisions about where to have guitars produced has more to do with quality than you give them credit for. Not that economics isn't a factor, but they're also very concerned with build quality. Terada in Japan does very high quality work, but they're a farely small company and their production is usually maxed out. Quality from the Chinese can be a little dodgy, and Korean guitars seem to be consistantly pretty good, but not great. The build quality and finish on these Ranchers is really top notch.
BZ

BTW, I'm not a badass, I'm just socially awkward.

– Billy Zoom

– BillyZoom

That is one awesome quote.:D

How do these guys measure up? Literally, I mean? The Jr especially. What're the dimensions? Looking into one for myself and I want to order a case alongside it.

It seems that Gretsch / FMIC have higher levels of QC for their import lines (the Terada made guitars are in a whole other league IMO) than some other companies. It's not surprising that the new acoustics are very nice. One of the spec's that appeals to me is the slightly shorter scale lengths (25" as opposed to 25 1/2") which is rare in most dreadnaught or jumbo sized acoustics. Looking forward to seeing them in person.

– Billy Zoom

– BillyZoom

That's the most badass thing I've read today! :P

Register Sign in to join the conversation