Billy Zoom's Jet Set

New Guitar coming

ANd personally, I think 17" bodies look great without pickguards.

The thing about fake F holes is that you ignore them pretty quickly.

How woukd you go about removing them?

I think Gretsch should consider this another Billy Zoom model

A silver sparkle top on that would look amazing!

That guitar looks amazing as is.

I always wondered why the faux f-holes in the CG did not have faux binding while the 6119 and 6120 did.

The thing about fake F holes is that you ignore them pretty quickly.

How woukd you go about removing them?

– hammerhands

Cut some f hole shapes out of woody vinyl and stick it right on.

I've been touring with the new guitar for a while now, and it sounds soooo good. Those pickups on that guitar are a great combination

Congrats on getting a winner. I have a hard time getting into new wood. So new guitars have always been tough for me

I've been touring with the new guitar for a while now, and it sounds soooo good. Those pickups on that guitar are a great combination

– Billy Zoom

Still using the GHS big cores?

Yes I am. They had the most twang.

Nice. I just ordered a set of the custom lights to try out earlier today.

Glad to hear that this guitar is more comfortable for your hand, BZ. Still planning on finishing it black?

I will be seeing the new guitar tonight in Houston..

Yep.. The guitar does sound really good. So does the cowboy amp. Great show.

I'm loving these strings. I got a set of the Custom Lights. I've used D'Addario EXL140 Light Top/Heavy Bottom for the past few years they're 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52 These custom lights are 9.5, 11.5, 16, 28, 38, 48. Not a huge difference but I really like the way the feel.

So sparkle tops are ok but not fake F-holes? I think fake F-holes are ridiculous. So they are perfect for a Gretsch. I do tgink they would look better with fake binding though.

I used to play 60s 6120s and loved the fake F-holes. So dumb they were cool. Now I'm stuck with the real F-holes of the SSLVO.

Definitely think you should go sparkle top. That would be the BZ 6122.

We covered the finish and fake F-holes earlier in this thread. If I go black, it'll have fake F-hole binding. Otherwise, they'll completely disappear.

been using those ghs "big core" pure nickels for years..they've come and gone with a boatload of names and packages…rene martinez big cores, santana big cores and the nickel rockers package pictured above…under all labels a great string..the slightly heavier core/pure nickel wrap really gives a vintage tone and help with any setup/intonation/buzzing weirdness'..great on tele's

ive used 9.5 & 10.5

cheers

They just recently started puting their strings in air-tight bags though.

Billy, if after changing the finish to black you put faux f-holes back on it [with the white binding], will you put the small size on or go with the more 'normal' 6120 size? I myself would like to see the larger size on a CG. To me, my '63 double cut Gent always looked funny with those small holes, for such a large body guitar.

BTW, I swivel the double bent Chet arm out of the way in the other direction and it clears the lid of the case just fine.

Would it be possible to simply have Steven Stern build you a Silver Jet with a big neck?

We covered the finish and fake F-holes earlier in this thread. If I go black, it'll have fake F-hole binding. Otherwise, they'll completely disappear.

– Billy Zoom

Billy, with all due respect, paint the "f" on, but come up with a "modified" Z for an "f" hole shape.

After all, this is a "BZ" Gent now, and you're still THE Billy Zoom! :)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Hmm, very nice!

(I've been linked here from another thread, raising the dead...)

A bit like the Dyna Gent: 17", thinline, Dynas (or halfway), bent Chet arm. Mine hath real f-holes (and waffle bracing) rather than fauze. And a standard neck width rather than the 1.75" which was part of the point of this project, I realize.

P90 at the bridge is a good idea. If I was doing it, it would be to get a bit more girth there, and more useful variety of tone when turning both vol and tone pots - rather than the sometimes abrupt dropoff of the Dyna in both domains. But, Herr Zoom, why did you go P90 there?

Seems like something I should try.

And hey. You ought to have a Tru-Arc SerpenTune on there, no? I can get you a deal!

Register Sign in to join the conversation