Billy Zoom's Jet Set

New Guitar coming

I just pulled the trigger on one of these. My hands have become too arthritic for the smaller necks. I hope this does the trick. If it does, I'm going to send it to Curt for a Black lacquer job. http://www.gretschguitars.c...

Yeah, I know they're Filtertrons, but they're TV Jones Filtertrons.

I've wanted one of these for a long time! I think I'm touched that you are getting some tvjones filtertrons!Will you put 1meg linear pots in the guitar?

I just pulled the trigger on one of these. My hands have become too arthritic for the smaller necks. I hope this does the trick. If it does, I'm going to send it to Curt for a Black lacquer job. http://www.gretschguitars.c...

– Billy Zoom

Ed Roman's old shop probably still has some in black that he did up some years ago, BZ.

I've wanted one of these for a long time! I think I'm touched that you are getting some tvjones filtertrons!Will you put 1meg linear pots in the guitar?

– TheNocturneBrain

Now that TV Jones makes the Dynasonics in a Filter'tron mount, Billy can swap out those Filters for some Dynas. Or retain the Super'tron and swap the Classic Plus for a Dynasonic. I would be very curious to hear that guitar after being modified like that.

Beautiful guitar, and the 1.75" nut width sounds great to me. My dreadnought has a 1.8" nut width and I find it easier to play with my largish hands. Post some pictures when it arrives.

It's weird what age does to your hands. For the longest time the modern slim Gretsch necks were just fine; then almost suddenly my wrist was killing me. The chunkier D shaped necks --and only 24.6"-- from '56 - '58 are about all I can handle now. Hope the new tool works out for you.

Filtertrons? Traitor. I bet you'll change them out for something single coil if you end up liking the guitar a lot.

Audio taper for the Master volume, Linear for the rest. Yeah, I'll probably go with 1 meg, but this guitar only has 3 pots so it's not as big a deal. Maybe I'll just add another pot. Maybe a P90 on the bridge. I can't decide until I hear it. Probably a gold Melita to go with the Bigsby. I've always wanted to try a zero fret, but they never came on DeArmond equipped guitars.

a pair of these perhaps?

Congratulations! That's a sweet guitar. Is it going to be your main gigging guitar?

Very cool BZ! I can see you wearing that in black.

I'm mentally picturing black with black f-holes... (wicked grin)

If I had a spaceship, it would have all black controls, buttons and instruments on an all black panel that was lit up in black... (I do miss Douglas Adams!)

Actually, gloss black with flat/satin black f-holes could be a really cool look.

I'm sure hoping this thread doesn't descend into "which black is the real black"... :D

Congrats! The Black lacquer will look great. I'm very happy with my stock '59. If looking for a change, maybe put a TVJ Magna'Tron in the bridge. The TVJ site describes them as having "DeArmond-style twang and single coil spank". I think somebody (maybe Proteus?) did that.

– Billy Zoom

I want the Guild Manhattan reissue for the same reasons.

I've never been that interested in country gents, but I have to admit it would look pretty cool in black. Hope the neck works out for you.

I guess Gretsch made some black double cut 6122s back in the 60s like this one. A black single cut will look pretty cool.

Beautiful guitar, and the 1.75" nut width sounds great to me. My dreadnought has a 1.8" nut width and I find it easier to play with my largish hands. Post some pictures when it arrives.

– Frank_NH

Hey man then you want my 6108 with full 2" neck width

love it!

why does the wider neck work better? just curious and not dismissing the sound logic a player of your miles & experience has, just interested in the reasoning and gains from a wider fretboard

it's the best neck I have ever played. and my 3161 has the Super in the neck and Magnatron in the bridge.they do sound good together

I'm all for closed hollow electrotone body guitars sans faux f-holes. Someone around here once offered that Chet wanted them that way and the painted holes were a compromise with GreTscH who felt they were necessary to the brand. If so, what I really don't understand is why they decided to use squinty Gibson shape f-holes for the fauxs instead of the more elegant loopy open GreTscH f-holes like on the 6120s and Clubs and Annies (and the Stremliners before them) and pre-Baldwin Falcons. A thinline 17" solid top single cut guitar with no faux-holes would be a phenomenal addition to the GreTscH professional line. It should be offered with both TArmonds and Setzer Sigs. And yes to bigger necks. Always.

…a thinline 17" solid top single cut guitar with no faux-holes…and yes…bigger neck…

I never liked fake F-holes.

– Billy Zoom

They're not fake...they're faux. It's French! Makes 'em classier. It's like the difference between plywood and laminated. ;)

…a thinline 17" solid top single cut guitar with no faux-holes…and yes…bigger neck…

– tommy59

A beaut! Custom or refin? More pics?

Register Sign in to join the conversation