Billy Zoom's Jet Set

My Chuck Berry story:

In the early 70's, Chuck called me at home. He asked to speak with my girlfriend. That's my Chuck Berry story.

I suppose there must be more to this story, such as...

1. Did you have a girlfriend at your home at that time? Or, worse yet, were you married at the time?

2. What did he want to talk to her about?

3. Did you have any further discussions with at a later time?

Chuck was an interesting guy. I suspect if any of us had lived his life, we'd be even more interesting than we are now.

Looks like Little Richard may be the only one left from the Class of '55.

In the early 70's, Chuck called me at home. He asked to speak with my girlfriend. That's my Chuck Berry story.

– Billy Zoom

Scintillating !!!

I was on the edge of my seat through the very last syllable.

Did he ask for her by name or juat say ' i want to speak to your girlfriend' ?

good ol' nadine

cheers

– neatone

I think that her name was Carol.

In the early 70's, my girlfriend called me at home. She asked to speak with Chuck Berry. That's my Chuck Berry story.

I remember and interview with John Lee Hooker just before he died. The guy asked if he still practised the guitar daily. He said 'f**k no man, that's work. I'll play the guitar if you pay me'. And then he hit on the interviewers wife! The guy said he was impressed and had no problems with either answer.

I read somewhere that country blues singer Furry Lewis, when asked why he'd never married, replied: "Why do I need a wife when the guy next door has one." Probably not an attitude that would go down very well these days.

Chuck was an interesting guy. I suspect if any of us had lived his life, we'd be even more interesting than we are now.

Looks like Little Richard may be the only one left from the Class of '55.

– Kap'n

Jerry Lee Lewis

Seeing the news of Chuck’s passing reminded of my personal story with him.

My (then) girlfriend and I had gone to the 7,000 seat capacity Chastain Park (an outdoor amphitheater) in Atlanta to see Chuck’s show on a sultry summer night.

He started off slow with a lot of talking, but finally got the (pretty-much) one-man show in gear.

It was great, hearing the hits of my youth, rendered live, with the occasional signature "Duck-Walk."

Then, as Chuck was preparing to close the show, he called out to the audience to come up on the stage with him and dance.

The stage wasn’t very large, so I looked at my girlfriend, she looked at me and we both ran down the nearest aisle at breakneck speed.

We were one of the first ones up there, and had the pleasure of dancing to an extended rendition of one of his hits right next to the man, who was playing his red Gibson (I own a guitar just like it, a gift from my parents twenty five years previous).

We had a hell of a time.

And along with everyone else, we will never forget Chuck Berry.

Jack

P.S. – I am also reminded that, after getting stiffed early in his career, he always insisted on being paid for a gig up front, in dollars American.

In looking at that "Duck-walking" video being played everywhere now (with him wearing a white suite), was that a Gretsch Jet he was playing?

I now that he is usually associated with GIbsons.

This video:

Sure looks like a Jet Firebird.

What's that for? They're just 6121's that were poorly accessorized.

Yeah, he did a little Gretsch-ing then but so did Sister Rosetta before going over to an SG Custom... I like Chuck with the ES-350.

It's a Roundup.

– Billy Zoom

Yep

I can only smile that Chuck was hitting on your girlfriend!

I think he used the Roundup only in the movie he did with Allen Freed. Note the absence of a guitar lead.

I just want to know if the girlfriend answered the phone " Hi Chuck. Long time."

Register Sign in to join the conversation