Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Missing Patrick Jack Woodward for 30 years

Great friend, great Bassist. And of course I miss Ricky Intveld and the rest of the band. For those of you who didn't see Ricky Nelson towards the end, it wasn't a Garden Party...it was pure Rockabilly and the band was amazing. What a loss.

Whoa, that was a heavy read.

Best to remember the good b/w tv times with James Burton and most everything that followed.

Right after this I happened to see Roy Buchanan, and he (his singer doing the talking) did a very spot-on, respectful version of Poor Little Fool and made a nice dedication to Rick and his band.

I also have a tape from around this time of Doug Sahm and Alvin Crow doing Believe What You Say after Rick got in the RR-HoF.

I still remember hearing about the crash. I enjoyed the work that Rick did with the Stone Canyon Band. matter of fact, in February 1971, I remember Rick and the Stone Canyon Band opening for Dennis Yost and the Classics IV at a concert at Louisiana Tech. it was right before I went in the Army and I got into the concert for free. this was before Garden Party was released.

1985 was a good rockabilly revival year -- there were the Stray Cats, I guess the Paladins were going then, and there was that Carl Perkins TV special with everyone. George and Ringo, Dave Edmunds, tons of others. Only Clapton didn't really fit in ... he was kind of out of his element. Was great to see George back on a Gretsch also.

Keep all the good memories, ... time is never lost, it just becomes unavailable once it passes by.

Billy, I know that you were speaking from affection for your friends, but I have to say that I don't fully understand the oft-heard disparaging remarks towards the song, Garden Party. It wasn't rockabilly, but it was a song that was in the top ten of his hits and it virtually single-handedly brought a resurgence to Rick's career that may not have happened without it.

I don't direct my remarks at you, but only observe it here since you mentioned that song.

I remember this like it was yesterday, I felt so bad for Ricky Intveld, he was so young and talented and happy to have the gig. A huge tragedy for so many families involved.

Were Rick's 2 boys sort of 80s hair metal for a while?

Not the Garden Party Band:

Ricky Intveld -drums, turned 23 earlier that week.
Pat Woodward - Bass, age 35
Bobby Neal -guitar, age 38
Andy Chapin -keyboards , age 30
Ricky Nelson-vocals, age 45

I saw Ricky Nelson open for Jerry Lee Lewis in Lake Tahoe in October 1985. Both acts put on a great show. Honestly, I expected that of Jerry Lee, but was surprised at how good Ricky was. I think it was Lewis's first show after winning his tax trial. He played an extra 45 - 60 minutes before someone said something. The Killer for sure. Great time for all. I gained a new respect for Ricky that night. To think that two months later he and the others were gone was sad to say the least.

– Ric12string

Ric, thanks for posting that. He really had a smooth voice. I could listen to that for a lot longer. Is that concert available commercially on CD/DVD?

Ric, thanks for posting that. He really had a smooth voice. I could listen to that for a lot longer. Is that concert available commercially on CD/DVD?

– Don Birchett

I don't know the answer to that question, Don. I somehow don't think so or I think I would have seen it mentioned. But, not sure.

– Don Birchett

Don, have you ever listened to the "Garden Party" album ? I find/found it to be very pleasant to listen to.

I always loved Ricky Nelson's music. I always felt like the music world in general never took him seriously enough, simply because he was Ricky, Ozzie and Harriet's son. I always thought James Burton and Ricky Nelson fit each other like a glove. I have to admit, I lost track of him until Garden Party came along, but in listening since then I can tell the quality of his music never suffered. Sorry for your loss, Billy.

The Garden Party band couldn't play Rockabilly.
The Rockabilly band could play Garden Party.

Register Sign in to join the conversation