Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Melita screws

Billy sells sets to upgrade your Melita or Gretsch bridge to these low profile screws. Some find the the ones equipped with thumb screws cumbersome.

Coincidentally I picked up a vintage aluminum Melita last week.

Nice. Put a little lube (anti-seize, grease...) to keep those stainless screws from galling the aluminum ;)

I got some of these from Billy and use on my Jet. Now I can palm mute, and life is good. (or, better)

Billy sells sets to upgrade your Melita or Gretsch bridge to these low profile screws. Some find the the ones equipped with thumb screws cumbersome.

Coincidentally I picked up a vintage aluminum Melita last week.

– James V Roy

I took it apart yesterday and today cleaned and polished it a little. the oxidation as it was had frozen the saddles and clips and was not adjustable at all. The high 'E' had a broken saddle and the clip was actually holding it in place. A little super glue rectified that though. All pretty and functional now (at least as pretty as I want it to get). Billy is looking for a set of the aluminum lower thumbwheel elevators for me. This probably only came with singles but I like the look of the double that Scotty had. Anyone else know of any or have any?

These:

– Billy Zoom

How much are they and how do we order... PayPal?

Is it just two separate thumbwheels? Or is there something else in there? I'd talk to Mat at Embie Concepts, he's a Melita expert and may be able to make you something if you can't find something original

Is it just two separate thumbwheels? Or is there something else in there? I'd talk to Mat at Embie Concepts, he's a Melita expert and may be able to make you something if you can't find something original

– Chmason85

Yes, for awhile the aluminum ones came with two separate thumbwheels per side. The bottom were flat and comparable to the contemporary ones (albeit thinner) while the top had sort of a tapered spacer as part of it, as pictured.

I actually emailed Mat also. I consulted with him, among others when I did the page for Scotty's site and he offered me a set of saddles and clips for another I was looking for parts for. Right now I'm trying all sources, though its basically only aesthetics for the most part.

pictured

– James V Roy

If its only for looks, could you just find an appropriately sized spacer and put it between two thin thumbwheels? It does look cool!

pictured

– James V Roy

What is the thread size and pitch on that stud and what is the diameter of the thumbwheel?

If its only for looks, could you just find an appropriately sized spacer and put it between two thin thumbwheels? It does look cool!

– Chmason85

I think you misunderstood me. I have the upper set that has the somewhat tapered spacer. I need the lower wheels, which are basically the same minus the spacer.

What is the thread size and pitch on that stud and what is the diameter of the thumbwheel?

– fistpicker

They are roughly the same size as the later and contemporary wheels, about 7/8" in diameter with the same thread and post size but they are roughly 60-70% as thick and are also aluminum. I don't have proper dimensions and specs unfortunately and don't have the bridge with me today to measure it. Will do so tonight.

Mat described the Embie bases as having a post diameter of .196" , with 32 threads per inch. That's roughly a 10-32 I believe and suspect would be about the same on mine

I saw these on ebay advertised as "Gretsch Large thumbwheels for Space Control Bar Bridge Thumb Wheel" I emailed the seller to see if the fit on the gretsch synchro-sonic which means they'd fit on mine but I haven't heard back. In a pinch they might suffice, though they aren't aluminum.

They're advertised as:

New Gretsch chrome thumbwheels, these measure 3/4" wide and 1/16" thick- much larger than standard thumbwheels. These come on Space control and Bar bridges. These fit the newer Gretsch bridges- they will not work on the old (50's/60's) Gretsch bridges.

Why would you need double wheels?

Only possible reason would be to lock the upper wheel into place. Otherwise, it's just for looks.

Why would you need double wheels?

– Billy Zoom

Just to replicate the look, like I said, for Aesthetic purposes

I makes these. Or did you already get a pair from me?

I makes these. Or did you already get a pair from me?

– Setzer

Those look pretty cool. I'm guessing that's a metric thread, M5? and a 22mm diameter if I read that right. It looks to be about the right diameter, which is a tad over 7/8" (22.54mm) and 1/16" thick. These have a 10/32 thread. Can you tap them to that, or leave them untapped? They might suffice. Are they aluminum, what is the thickness and what do they go for?

I picked up a couple of steel washers at the hardware store last night which would almost suffice but the hole is too big. Probably not worth the effort to knurl them, fill them with something and retap.

I heard from Mat Wilson who said he didn't make them like that but that his standard wheels would work in place. He was going to send some details but I haven't heard back yet. His ebay ad though said the wheels were 3/4" which would be a little smaller.

Without a sample in hand I cannot match the knurl pattern so I just went with what looked "right"

I can see why these are hard to find. Fragile threads.

Pm your mailing address if you want them.

Sorry for the thread hijack Billy.

Man what a crap, washed out picture. this phone camera has issues, sorry

Cleaned the lens and trying again

Register Sign in to join the conversation