Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Little Kahuna

Hey Billy,

I hope you are healthy and staying well...I’m a longtime lurker, first time posting...Im a lifelong fan of your work..Is there any chance you could make me a Little Kahuna?

Yes.

– Billy Zoom

Brilliant! I’ll shoot you a message :)

Yes....there's a chance! My original plan was to only build 100 units. I completed & sold that number several years . However...since I am currently unemployed due to the pandemic, I'm probably going to do another 25 Little Kahunas. It wont be for a couple of months though, and I don't know the cost yet because the cost of parts & materials has gone up in the last 10 years, and the quality of the springs has gotten dodgy. I have enough chassis, transformers, cabinets, and most other parts to do another 25. I'm currently testing & evaluating available springs, and trying to track down a source for G-10, FR-4 in quantities of at least 12", but less than a boxcar load. It's hard to find in smaller quantities, aside from small pieces from a few amp building sites.

Yes....there's a chance! My original plan was to only build 100 units. I completed & sold that number several years . However...since I am currently unemployed due to the pandemic, I'm probably going to do another 25 Little Kahunas. It wont be for a couple of months though, and I don't know the cost yet because the cost of parts & materials has gone up in the last 10 years, and the quality of the springs has gotten dodgy. I have enough chassis, transformers, cabinets, and most other parts to do another 25. I'm currently testing & evaluating available springs, and trying to track down a source for G-10, FR-4 in quantities of at least 12", but less than a boxcar load. It's hard to find in smaller quantities, aside from small pieces from a few amp building sites.

– Billy Zoom

Billy, I have contacts in the PCB world (and other electronic components’ that might be able to help. I’ll send you a message.

Message sent! I’d love to buy one, too.

If you read the fine print.........they're "cut from sheets", which is code for, 12" is really 11 3/4". Its like with 2 x 4's being 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.

I found some local to me at a place with "Industrial Plastics" in the name. They use the thick stuff as motor mounts on ships...so...maybe the marina. They sell it in camo.

Similar to this place, I expect.

https://www.eplastics.com/s...

Oh....I'm well aquainted with eplastics! Besides not selling 12", they're impossible to do business with, and that woman that answers their phone is one of the biggest assholes I've ever spoken with. 11 3/4"...they'll UPS. They won't do 12". They'll sell me 23 1/2", but that has to be shipped as freight for over $200. That's for ten 23 1/2" x 23 1/2" sheets. I did buy ten sheets of 11 3/4 x 11 3/4 from them once, but it took over 2 months & several phone calls because they lost my order twice.

now tell us how you really feel bz!! hah

when i was a kid in nyc, there was a factory off the subway line

eagle electric

their motto was "perfection is not an accident"

keep goin for it

cheers

I remember Eagle Electric.Could see the billboard from the 59th st bridge.It was in L.I. City

Register Sign in to join the conversation