Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Guitar Craze” 1959?

Anybody got a link to this, or a DVD, or a VHS, or anything? "Guitar Craze" short film by Ken russell, 1959

I'm not having much luck.

It has a few names.

BBC Monitor series

From Spain to Streatham: The Guitar Craze

Hound Dogs and Bach Addicts

Likewise, I don't find a link to a video of the entire short film. That Davey (Davy?) Graham scene is a good one!

This link provides a fairly detailed synopsis of the film, in case that helps:

Link

...Not so surprisingly, there's a part that reminds me of the "stairway to heaven" intro arpeggio. Considering the huge influence Davy had on Jimmy Page and many other Uk guitarists, it makes sense.

That's a cool video of Davey Graham. And the cute artsy-looking girl shows you why so many guys took up the guitar!

Anybody got a link to this, or a DVD, or a VHS, or anything? "Guitar Craze" short film by Ken russell, 1959

– Billy Zoom

No but it sounds great! In the meantime, we'll have to be satisfied with Arch Hall, Jr., haha!

No but it sounds great! In the meantime, we'll have to be satisfied with Arch Hall, Jr., haha!

– Elliot Easton

i'm cool with that..

there's a great dvd box of ken russels bbc tv shorts..(mostly about artists and composers) but it doesnt include guitar craze..

cheers

Good luck Billy! I have tried to find recent BBC video clips. There is some magic involved. My Sis is a resource researcher for the US Courts and an Anglophile. She finds all sorts of obscure old Brit Mysteries and after all she got all of the brains in the family.
She is on the case. Do you know the producer's name? BTW I have a 1962 Champagne Sparkle Duo Jet. (I have made peace with the Burns trem and rosin keeps the bridge base in place topped with a Gibson bridge, filed to round saddles. Have not tryed a Tru Arc. Amps a Fender Super with Vox Celestion Speakers. We have a store with NOS tubes and caps here if you need info just leave me a post. Sorry so long, love your work.

It looks like maybe Monitor was some kind of BBC series or something?

BTW, If you're at all a Joe Meek fan, it's worth digging up the entire film Live It Up/aka Swing and Sway(1963). There are bits here and there on Youtube, but I have a bootleg DVD of the whole thing and it's great. It's up there with Go-Go-Mania and the entire T.A.M.I. show.

Monitor was part of a news magazine show, a tv hangover from Pathe news reels.

Oh yeah, the TAMI show. Another DVD I have to get.

As far as I know, to get the complete TAMI show, you have to donate $200 to PBS. I have a poor quality VHS of Go-Go Mania.
I just got an email from Amazon saying that the Wrecking Crew had finally shipped and should be here tomorrow. I've had it on pre-order for a while.

Also the twofers "Rock Around The Clock/Twist Around The Clock" and "Don't Knock the Rock/Don't Knock the Twist"

The Twist movies are hilarious-Remakes of the "Rock" movies but with the twist!

There's a box set of the "Hootenanny" TV show that's really fun too.

Just watched the amazon ad for TAMI Show. "And the latest exponent of the Merseybeat sound, The Rolling Stones" Oh dear.

I believe that T.A.M.I. show is still missing some material, although it does have the Beach Boys segment.

http://www.thevideobeat.com is where I found a copy of Live It Up.

Register Sign in to join the conversation