Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Grover Imperials suck!

But they have a longer offset than other tuners. Are there any tuners that can replace them? I'm not talking about screw holes....I'm talking about the distance from the shaft to the knob. Regular tuners won't clear the headstock on my 6122. I want something with a better gear ratio, and a thinner shaft. I'm tired of wrestling with tuning, and I'm close to taking the shafts to a machine shop to have them turned down on a lathe. I know most of you won't know what I'm talking about, but there are some here who will. Any suggestions???

I don't like the modern Imperials either, they fall apart too.

So regular large size Grover Rotomatics won't fit either? I recently put a set of what they call "milk bottle" ones on a guitar, and they work great - don't have a set of Imperials to compare with so I don't know if they'd work - the knob shafts didn't strike as short in any case.

these

I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't know what you're talking about.

– Proteus

the knob shafts on imperials are so long the tuners are mounted closer "inward" on the headstock than most, making it hard or impossible to find replacements that work - the tuners buttons won't clear the headstock.

I'll shut up now.

They only have a 16:1 ratio to begin with, but making the shaft diameter larger changes the ratio, so it's like have 10:1. Also, strings slip on the the larger shafts. I have to tie the plain string in a knot around the shaft to keep them from slipping....and even that isn't foolproof. I'm wondering if I could out the longer knob shafts on regular Grovers. I'll have to wait until I get hme from tour, and then do some experimenting.

I have 8 guitars, Guild and Gibson acoustics, a 6120 and a new LPB Falcon and they all have Grovers (locking on the Gretsch guitars) and I have never had a problem with them. Guess I’m the lucky one!

I have 8 guitars, Guild and Gibson acoustics, a 6120 and a new LPB Falcon and they all have Grovers (locking on the Gretsch guitars) and I have never had a problem with them. Guess I’m the lucky one!

– Steve

As I said....some people wont understand what I'm talking about. I'm used to that.

hey bz..take a look at the wilkinson imperial knockoffs...supposedly have 19:1 ratio..trev wilkinson respected uk guitar guy...deep into the asian repro market, but usually of decent quality..& cheap enough to try

available from amazon, ebay etc

heres' some pics and bit of info

http://www.guitarheads.net/...

cheers

I just went the other way, from stock to Imperial:

I have had gold plated Grover Deluxe Jade Keystones on my Epi Emperor for a decade...probably the best tuners on any guitar I own.

OP, you may want to get on the Stew-Mack site and check some of their stock tuner dimensions to see if they approach what you need. Their catalog is pretty good at providing that information. Good luck !!!

There's these:

https://www.guitarfetish.co...

The copy says they're a drop in replacement. But it doesn't say anything about the gear ratio, so I have no idea whether they're an improvement or not. But they're cheap. And the buttons are slightly less dumb looking than the modern Grovers.

Register Sign in to join the conversation