Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Gene Vincent’s Rancher?

I post this here because of Billy's connection to Gene.

Just wondering if Gene's famous Rancher has ever been discovered?

Does anyone know when it went missing?

It belongs in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, if it isn't there already.

It's probably hanging in a case in some Hard Rock Cafe in some Podunk town. Lets hope NOT!

Provenance guitars captive in Hard Rock Cafes are sad sights. In one, forget where, they had the Strat (they claimed) Hendrix used on Little Wing hanging up. You could almost see the burger grease collecting on it.

If it was known to be in there, that'd be fine.

As it stands, I don't think it is, and I would hate to think it was trashed because of the hole in it's top.

Doesn't the legend say that's a bullet hole? Probably nothing more than that.. a legend.

Btw, to me that picture is iconic since I first saw it. It itself belongs in the Rock & Roll HOF.

IMO, that is The Classic Portrait of Rock & Roll in the 1950's!!

Time-Life used a painting of it for the cover of one of the albums in their "History of Rock & Roll" series.

Doesn't the legend say that's a bullet hole? Probably nothing more than that.. a legend.

Btw, to me that picture is iconic since I first saw it. It itself belongs in the Rock & Roll HOF.

– sascha

There's also a story that a cherry bomb was tossed into it by Tommy Facenda while the Blue Caps were on tour.

only one of his guitars was located at Darlene Craddock house. An acoustic Framus than Gene used during the sixties to his death in 1971.

French lp artwork for the Shakin' Up A Storm lp.

later french reissue with a picture from the same session minus the framus guitar.

So, when did it go missing?

There's also a story that a cherry bomb was tossed into it by Tommy Facenda while the Blue Caps were on tour.

– crowbone

another story said that was Dickie Harrel who had put his foot in the guitar during a live appareance.

And what happened to that Club Cliff is playing in the photo?

– lx

There's quite the search going on for that one right now, and if you find it, there's a tribute model the make from it waiting for you.

There's quite the search going on for that one right now, and if you find it, there's a tribute model the make from it waiting for you.

– crowbone

Sure you don't mix that up with the search for his trademark Duo Jet? What is known about the pictured guitar at all?

– lx

That's Johnny Meeks in the photo, not Cliff Gallup. Cliff had left the Blue Caps by the time that photo was taken. The photo was taken at Capitol Records during the recording of Gene's third album "Gene Vincent Rocks! and the Blue Caps Roll". Check out the same pirate shirt on Gene

I can't tell if that's a Club Johnny is playing. He usually played the blonde Stratocasters that Fender supplied the Blue Caps with but he's also been pictured with a 6120. I don't see a horseshoe on the headstock in that pic so it could be a Club.

There were a few Gretsch guitars that found their way into the Blue Caps lineup. Here's a great pic of Gene in Japan in 1959 playing a '56 6120.

Sure you don't mix that up with the search for his trademark Duo Jet? What is known about the pictured guitar at all?

– sascha

Indeed I did.

Register Sign in to join the conversation