Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Favorite Billy Zoom Riff?

I wholeheartedly agree on the solo for The Have Nots. One of my favorite solos.

Those are actually two solos. The left speaker and right speaker are two different performances. Ray liked my second take and saved it, but I kept insisting on doing it again because I could get it better. Ray finally made me come in and listen. He put the second take on the left speaker, and the 7th take on the right speaker. I was convinced I'd been getting better each time, but they sound indentical...like one guitar with a little phasing on it. That's what's on the record.

I love Rockabilly. I love Punk. Mix the two and this is my favorite riff by BZ: Beyond and Back.

– Steeple923

Yeah, that's pretty historical..

White Girl for sure.

I also love the intro for Nausea. I realize that it's probably not going to win any awards for being complex.

– mark t

Yes, Nausea is great.

Poor Little Girl, Hungry Wolf, love them ones too!

I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts

Ugh!!! SOOO good!

My favorite is Hot House, but I don't think I like any of the records. We've always been much better live.

i have never hear billy Z music.

My favorite is Hot House, but I don't think I like any of the records. We've always been much better live.

– Billy Zoom

Those first four records sound so raw, unique and great to me.

Excellent clip Billy, I remember that

i hadn't seen the Letterman performance... excellent!

One take live, and it sounds better than the albums.

Soul Kitchen solo.

– spike

so many good ones but this ones been killin' me for over 30 years! (solo at 1:27 of course the whole song it great) - Get in and get out - no wankery here. deserves reposting...

() Often overlooked, certainly underplayed--"My Goodness" on the 1985 Record "Ain't Love Grand"- in my opinion its a perfect example of the low key dynamic playing that makes Billy such an innovator-- My Goodness do I like that break

"Dancing With Tears In My Eyes". Simply amazing. I those riffs throughout the song. I can't express how that song and guitar playing just moves me.

"Dancing With Tears In My Eyes". Simply amazing. I those riffs throughout the song. I can't express how that song and guitar playing just moves me.

YES! Absolutely one of the most beautiful solos ever done, and on a Gretsch! I would love to learn what the hell he's doing on there. About time for an X songbook with tabs for those of us who can't figure it out.

I always loved the riff to the song under the big black sun. But yeah I love seeing them live and billy mixing different flavors into the classic riffs

I'm embarrassed to say that I have never ever heard an X song, but is the bass player the same part time actor that was in Great Balls of Fire and others??. He looks very familiar, and as a complete noob to X, I Like White Girl a bunch...

– ThePolecats

This was really good to see live in Philly, with an addition of a rhythm guitar for this tune.

I know it's not just me not accustomed to seeing you with anything other than a Silver Jet onstage, though, but it sounded great. That guitar, those amps, and the house sound.

The concert a few weeks ago was wonderful and I hope someone is recording them as they are new takes (sorta) on the songs. The extra players really filled out the sound. It's like hearing new, slightly alternate versions. And the tones from the Electrozoom Gent are amazing, one of the best new Gretsch sounds ever.

Only one extra player...Craig plays both guitar and drums, although not at the same time.

How about Sugarlight? The fast chords are driving this song along and then at 1:32, with a simple string bend, turns it all sideways with star guitar work...anybody with me on this?

Ben

Register Sign in to join the conversation