Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Favorite Billy Zoom Riff?

Devil Doll, for me, gets me every time.

It's got to be the opening to "White Girl" for me.

The opening bar of Los Angeles, by a country mile for me. There's more power in those five chords than you can shake a stick at.

The World's a Mess, it's in my Kiss is pretty darn cool!

The opening bar of Los Angeles, by a country mile for me. There's more power in those five chords than you can shake a stick at.

– Tim Price DBA Precio265

Yep, it was a toss up for me between "White Girl" and "Los Angeles". Great stuff.

That's not even me on that Devil Doll recording. That's a later live show with Tony filling in. I would have played the riff correctly.

Well, the "love" for the riff is there just the same...good for you!

Too many to choose from....Adult Books.

Soul Kitchen solo.

That's not even me on that Devil Doll recording. That's a later live show with Tony filling in. I would have played the riff correctly.

– Billy Zoom

Yeah, but it's still your riff.

Johnny hit and run Paulene or The Unheard Music.. Or Universal corner.. Dang.. I dunno.. How about the first 4 albums all the way thru ? Each one is great..

The teenage punk rock kid in me still says Johnny hit and run paulene

The one he plays when you see him live.

The have nots solo is a gem.

White Girl for sure.

I also love the intro for Nausea. I realize that it's probably not going to win any awards for being complex.

Johnny Hit and Run Paulene is the Chuck Berry riff from Promised Land.

That is a pretty wicked solo on Soul Kitchen. Devil Doll is also maybe my favorite Zoom riff, it is noticeably different the instant the above version is played.
I love the guitar on the Have Nots a lot too.

Nice meeting you at the 1/31 show in SJ. So many to choose from it's difficult, but Blue Spark, then the whole first album over and over again since 1980. Keep rocking Mr. Zoom. Tom

stogie95125, safe to assume you're in Willow Glen? I'm another cigar lover in Willow Glen.

I love Rockabilly. I love Punk. Mix the two and this is my favorite riff by BZ: Beyond and Back.

Too too many. Impossible licks with a smile. See you every time you're in Sacramento, belly up against the stage. I have a little Maggie 107 death amp, paper thin speaker, I love playing the sliding octave Blue Spark riff on.

I finally figured out why BZ is always smiling in all of those videos: he doesn't have to sing harmony with John and Exene.

Register Sign in to join the conversation