Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Decline of Western Civilization

This made the viewing list this past weekend.

What a different time, eh?

Billy, you were the youngest looking Punk in L.A.!!!

And I think I see a younger, under-aged, Ethan (Powdog) in several of those Mosh Pit scenes...

And you look 18...it's uncanny.

The riff barreling into "Johnny hit and run Pauline" sounds great, and it was just part of the live soundtrack, too.

Time period late '79 early '80..."Los Angeles" would have been in the works.

The other film X: The UnHeard Music is several years later...you look no different!

In terms of bands I don’t know who the youngest band member was but just people in the movie I’d say Eugene looked very young. Maybe Dez from Black Flag was the youngest. That just occurred to me but I didn’t look up his age.

Billy looked very young. Very true.

Haven’t watch this in eons but I will say it’s hard to hit the pause button. It’s like your attention is glued to the movie.

One of my favorite movies, for sure! I watched it many times as a teenager/early 20s (now more than 30 years ago!).

Agree with all the comments. I absolutely love the live footage of Billy.

The biggest surprise to me ... Pat Smear ends up being a member of Foo Fighters!

One of my favorite movies, for sure! I watched it many times as a teenager/early 20s (now more than 30 years ago!).

Agree with all the comments. I absolutely love the live footage of Billy.

The biggest surprise to me ... Pat Smear ends up being a member of Foo Fighters!

– NTN66

We must be the same age and saw it around the same time.

We grew up during that punk era but I was not a punk. The end of the LA Punk era. I did like many punk bands but wasn't a punk, I liked the music bud didn't live it. I had friends who did. I was a New Romantic (New Wave), LOL I can hear people cringing now. I liked X, Fear, The Ramones and a few other American punk bands BUT I cannot stand The Germs. I love the British punk bands of course.

You should watch The Unheard Music if you have not yet. I had it on DVD but lost it. I can't recall if it was a legit copy or a bootleg.

Pat Smear is a very lucky guy. Every time I see a fried egg, I think of Darby Crash and his girlfriend who seems to fill the role of the mom he may have never had. Lee Ving was hilarious. Billy Z had a very cool jacket and guitar. Gregg Ginn. Wow. What a melodic sense that guy has. Love him. We’ve all known a “Eugene”, I think. Fantastic movie.

Pat Smear is a very lucky guy. Every time I see a fried egg, I think of Darby Crash and his girlfriend who seems to fill the role of the mom he may have never had. Lee Ving was hilarious. Billy Z had a very cool jacket and guitar. Gregg Ginn. Wow. What a melodic sense that guy has. Love him. We’ve all known a “Eugene”, I think. Fantastic movie.

– Troy6120

Greg Ginn is a total geek. Love Lee Ving. Billy had the best guitar and jacket.

Eugene is my favorite of the non-musicians in the movie. I like the X head guy because, well he had X carved into his hair. That is a true X fan. I remember the guy John. He looked like a jock.

Side note. This may be a case of mistaken identity but in 1986 in downtown LA I thought I saw Eugene. This was a number of years after the Decline was filmed but if that was him I did recognize him. It was around 7th and Los Angeles Street.

I am positive I saw Lee Ving in a green circa 1965 car, forgot the maker of it, on the 10 freeway going East through West Covina heading out in the direction of San Bernardino. What he was going there I don't know. He was giving the middle finger to cars he was passing by.

Who are your fave non-musicians in this movie? Question to all.

By the way Keith Morris is all over Hollywood. I used to go to shows everywhere in Hollywood and saw him all over. I think he works as a sound man or something. I don't go to shows anymore and I mean even before Covid.

I have a feeling Greg Ginn would be a scientist at JPL had he not gotten into music.

I was surprised when, after a Black Flag show in 2013, I asked Greg Ginn if he built the theramin he had used that night. He said it was a Moog. I just figured he had built it due to his electronics background.

I was surprised when, after a Black Flag show in 2013, I asked Greg Ginn if he built the theramin he had used that night. He said it was a Moog. I just figured he had built it due to his electronics background.

– Troy6120

I guess even tho he’s a good electronics guy it made sense to use a Moog.

We must be the same age and saw it around the same time.

We grew up during that punk era but I was not a punk. The end of the LA Punk era. I did like many punk bands but wasn't a punk, I liked the music bud didn't live it. I had friends who did. I was a New Romantic (New Wave), LOL I can hear people cringing now. I liked X, Fear, The Ramones and a few other American punk bands BUT I cannot stand The Germs. I love the British punk bands of course.

You should watch The Unheard Music if you have not yet. I had it on DVD but lost it. I can't recall if it was a legit copy or a bootleg.

– ThePolecats

Unheard music is another favorite. I was not a Germs fan, either. I recently came across my Beta tape of Decline ... don't remember where I bought it. It was next to my Beta copy of Spinal Tap!

I am from Illinois ... we didn't have as rich of a punk scene here. I did, however, have the great pleasure of seeing the Minutemen twice during college. I also promoted shows for the university. My senior year, we did an REM show. Bill Berry wore a fIREHOSE t-shirt on stage. In the green room after the show, I asked him about it. He told me that the Minutemen were opening for REM for several shows right before d Boon died. He said he was a big fan. But, he also said that he was ashamed to say it, but liked fIREHOSE a little more.

Great memories of bands, movies and shows for sure.

I definitely remember Eugene from that movie! He was hilarious, especially in his very un-PC criticism of metalheads.

Another memorable moment is when the Germs are talking about Darby's tendency to drop the microphone on stage. "We tried everything... we even taped it to his hand!" (Not an exact quote)

Minutemen (capitalized only because it's at the beginning of a sentence) remain far and away my favorite from that era, btw. I still listen to them regularly.

I think I still have a 7" from the early 90's when Eugene tried his hand at music under the name The Euge. I will look for it. I doubt I ever listened to it.

The Germs album ,G.I. , is a Punk Rock Masterpiece.

Could not find the 7" but it does seem to exist. Wow, he has a band camp that confirms he is indeed Eugene from decline

Link

Have you ever listened To the Germs album GI ? I saw Decline before I heard the album. When I listened to the album I couldn"t believe how good it was.. just my 2 cents..

Have you ever listened To the Germs album GI ? I saw Decline before I heard the album. When I listened to the album I couldn"t believe how good it was.. just my 2 cents..

– ForwardLook77

Not a fan of The Germs but I admire Pat Smear. He’s the man.

Register Sign in to join the conversation