Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Cases?

Does anyone today make good quality hard shell cases for guitars? The case for my 6122 is pretty much worn out, and I was bothered from the beginning by the flimsy quality. You probably all remember the BB King story about how he rolled his Cadillac convertible, but was saved because Lucile's case heldthe car off the ground. If that had been a modern case, you'd have never heard of BB King. Anybody???

Those TKL cases the custom shop uses are bullet proof but weight 800lbs.

One of my customers bought this light flight case thinking it would be the solution.

I'm also very curious about this question. Thinking about booking out some fly dates next year and I'm terrified of how to safely get a guitar there-and-back.

Is the prevailing strategy just to put it in a gig bag and carry it on? I'm concerned about the inevitable bag check at the gate. That literally wakes me up at night in a cold sweat.

The idea of checking a guitar as baggage regardless of how bullet proof the case might be is a scary proposition to me. The last time I flew (which was about 4 years ago to Europe) I did notice they were allowing passengers to carry on guitars...that would be the safest option (if it is an option) IMO. That was pre-CITES also. It seems that airlines and guitars are not a good match.

I thought the same companies made cases.

G6275 Premium Case. (vs. G6242L or G6244 Deluxe case).

It doesn’t seem to be in the catalog. That’s sad. There may be a couple out there (see Cream City they also have the western version https://www.creamcitymusic....). It says TKL made them but there isn’t anything quite like it on their website. Maybe call them.

I’m not sure how close this is. https://tkl.com/en/uproduct...

I bought an ATA case when I wanted to ship my guitar.

On my first trip to Nashville for my first Roundup, I brought a Godin Archtop in a Tric case. These are made with a high-tech material called Neopolen P Expanded Polypropylene or EPP. EPP is incredibly tough, light, and boasts exceptional thermal properties. I checked it. When I landed, I watched them unload the baggage and saw them toss my guitar many feet onto the cart and missed and it tumbled to the ground. The guitar was fine. I wouldn’t run over it with a car, but when I play out with any of my guitars, I use these hard foam cases as they are light as a gig bag and better protection than most hard shell cases, and they have straps.

On my first trip to Nashville for my first Roundup, I brought a Godin Archtop in a Tric case. These are made with a high-tech material called Neopolen P Expanded Polypropylene or EPP. EPP is incredibly tough, light, and boasts exceptional thermal properties. Bob Howard

I have a TRIC case for my Seagull Artisans acoustic guitar Bob. It's a fantastic case, I live in the Phoenix metro area, and I only need to recharge the humidity devices (D'Addario 2 way humipacks) about once every 4 months. The tongue and groove case seal is excellent for sealing in humidity.

They (Godin) boast "The TRIC case is temperature tested to –35C (-31F) and up to +65C (+150F), proving this case can withstand extreme conditions, all the while leaving your guitar sheltered and protected in its very own comfortable climate zone".

While I would never put a guitar in the trunk of a car (especially in Phoenix), I know that my guitar is well protected. These are ultra light weight, but very strong cases, and I can't say enough good things about them.

Fits nice.

– Curt Wilson

Apparently the damage occurred where there was the least amount of foam between the guitar & the case's hard shell . . . looks like well under an inch of foam at that point.

If you want a hollowbody guitar case that will survive checking it on a plane, a Calton case will do the job, and you can still carry it in one hand. It will set you back about $1000 though. I've checked one from Brussels to Texas with a vintage archtop inside with no problem whatsoever. Calton is now located in Austin TX.

I've also had good luck with a molded SKB telecaster case, as well as a jumbo acoustic guitar case on fairly short Euro flights. They're not heavy and fairly cheap, and have TSA locks. The Jumbo acoustic case works for my reissue 17" Guild archtop with a towel stuffed in there, so I'm guessing it will work for a single cut country Gent too, I think it's about the same size as my Guild.
I wouldn't put pricier vintage guitars in the SKB case though, I don't put thàt much trust in it.

I believe Duane uses Reunion Blues cases.

Musical instruments should never be treated as baggage....no matter what. They won't survive. Put them in the overhead, or in the truck.

I tried to look into Calton cases, but they insist I go through a dealer, and there aren't any. Will I have to wait until I'm in Austin again??

I think there are a few companies around now who build solid cases. I used to have a Calton case for an expensive archtop. It was form fitted (there was a long list of measurements that had to be sent with the order) and I'm pretty sure the guitar would have been safe in it if tossed off a roof. The only problem was, and I think it's the same for other really safe cases, it was very heavy. Not a problem for local gigs or ones that you drive to, but when flying to another destination for gigs, carrying the thing around all the time killed my hands. They have also gotten expensive.

I wish someone could make a case of equal protection but a quarter of the weight. Until then, it's gig bags and gate checking.

I tried to look into Calton cases, but they insist I go through a dealer, and there aren't any. Will I have to wait until I'm in Austin again??

– Billy Zoom

One might think they have an artist relations person and would let you deal with you directly so you can buy one from them. What kind of outfit are they? Can’t they make an exception? Apparently not.

The MONO Vertigo appeals to my engineering schooling background. It seems like a "better mousetrap" after some quick reading. The Acoustic version supports "archtops" too (but no mention of specific models). It's hard to say how good the fit would be since it's also designed for dreadnoughts.

Does anyone have any experience with these, good or bad? At $250, I'm a little reluctant to "invest" in a gig bag. I'm known to be old-fashioned though.

– Billy Zoom

Austin Vintage, Carter in Nashville, and the Chicago music exchange are dealers who would probably be willing to do the necessary to get you a Calton case.

Check into what Peter Framptons black Gibson was in when the plane crashed. That must have been a pretty solid case.

The MONO Vertigo appeals to my engineering schooling background. It seems like a "better mousetrap" after some quick reading. The Acoustic version supports "archtops" too (but no mention of specific models). It's hard to say how good the fit would be since it's also designed for dreadnoughts.

Does anyone have any experience with these, good or bad? At $250, I'm a little reluctant to "invest" in a gig bag. I'm known to be old-fashioned though.

– Tim Vitullo

It's a very nice case. It will handle crushing/dropping easily. You could throw a 6120 off a 5 story building, and it would remain intact.

What it probably won't withstand is severe headstock-to-tailpiece "folding" type maneuver. But I'm not sure what would.

Check into what Peter Framptons black Gibson was in when the plane crashed. That must have been a pretty solid case.

– Suprdave

Someone also found Buddy Holly’s Strat in a corn field after his crash. It turned up in Australia, or so they say.

– Billy Zoom

You could probably get a luthier to order from them. Linda Manzer ordered mine when she built the guitar. Are they still in Canada?

Register Sign in to join the conversation