Billy Zoom's Jet Set

BZ Signature Jet

Ive been searching for a Jet (or possibly White Penguin) , Dyna equipped for a few weeks- all the usual places

I have yet to find anybody selling the BZ Sig

I don't know how many were sold, but apparently nobody wants to sell theirs

Have you seen any for sale anywhere?

cricket ... cricket ... cricket

Brian, you're offering yours up for sale again?

I thought we agreed that I would have first right of refusal if you ever considered selling it.

That wasn't the impression I got.

That wasn't the impression I got.

– g53

About? Who are you?

Brian, you're offering yours up for sale again?

I thought we agreed that I would have first right of refusal if you ever considered selling it.

– Curt Wilson

Hey Curt - No Sir. My wife has threatened me with cruel and unusual punishment if I ever sold the BZ Jet. It would also have been a discourtesy to Fred Gretsch, Joe Carducci and other GDP members present at that particular Round-Up. Our previous discussion a few years back about selling it was a moment of weakness for me.

Hey WhittleZ,

The BZ Jet was not a "common" signature model; it was a historically-accurate tribute guitar—a replica of Billy's actual guitar, with the dings, scratches, and whatever— that came out of the Custom Shop. It was X-rayed to get the build specifications right, and in doing so they found out just how heavily chambered the old Jets were (which informed future production of other Jets). Retail price was $10K, so even a used example, if you can find one, is gonna hurt your wallet (or thrill your credit card company).

A regular production Dyna Jet shouldn't be that hard to find, nor should it be too expensive.

Good luck with the chase.

Paul/FF909

Hey WhittleZ,

The BZ Jet was not a "common" signature model; it was a historically-accurate tribute guitar—a replica of Billy's actual guitar, with the dings, scratches, and whatever— that came out of the Custom Shop. It was X-rayed to get the build specifications right, and in doing so they found out just how heavily chambered the old Jets were (which informed future production of other Jets). Retail price was $10K, so even a used example, if you can find one, is gonna hurt your wallet (or thrill your credit card company).

A regular production Dyna Jet shouldn't be that hard to find, nor should it be too expensive.

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

10k? Are you sure? They were for sale in Holland for around 4500,- Euros. And usually the dollar price is about the same.
And I think only 50 were made?

Hey WhittleZ,

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Ok, thanks. That explains why I can't find it in catalogs.

The header for this group refers to his 'signature Jet' so I understandably assumed it was a production model.

The 57 Reissue sparkle Jet seems like the way to go OR The Cadillac Green. I've also seen a few other pigmented sparkles with Dynas.

Essentially, I want

1) a jet 2) post FMIC 3) with Dynas

Sparkle is a bonus, not required but the black jets are kind of boring so at least would prefer red or whatever

Bonus includes: Seymour Duncan Dynas... (Hard to find but I've seen a few selling with them) Ebony FB - Penguin offers this but of course I'd have to install a trem. However I've seen a few good prices Penguins and they offer Dynas and a Ebony board, so they are appealing

I already have a sparkly jet with TV Classics anyway

Ideal would be Red sparkle Ebony board, SD Dynas

Granted - apart from the Penguin, I'm not seeing the Ebony FB and Dyna combo

I found a nice sparkle in great condition with TV's for 1200

I should have bought it. Could have sold the TV's and installed Dynas.

Oh well

There's currently a MINT Penguin for $1800

That is seriously intriguing me

Red Sparkle Jet:

I just noticed this Limited Edition 2015 Red Sparkle Jet last week on the Gretsch site; just what you asked for, including ebony board.

http://www.gretschguitars.c...

– MadScience

Yup. I don't buy Gretsches new, but that would be pretty much a WIN on every front

Check the completed listings on ebay Australia. Its been for sale for a while

Hey Curt - No Sir. My wife has threatened me with cruel and unusual punishment if I ever sold the BZ Jet. It would also have been a discourtesy to Fred Gretsch, Joe Carducci and other GDP members present at that particular Round-Up. Our previous discussion a few years back about selling it was a moment of weakness for me.

– Brian_66

Cool deal Brian but it is your guitar and if you're not using it I'm pretty sure no one would care. Others have unloaded guitars they won and not a peep!

Check the completed listings on ebay Australia. Its been for sale for a while

– bigjoeblogs

Thank you I will!

eBay Australia! Maybe exchange rate will make up for shipping!

Red Sparkle Jet:

I just noticed this Limited Edition 2015 Red Sparkle Jet last week on the Gretsch site; just what you asked for, including ebony board.

– MadScience

Man!!!!!

I found places selling these new for $2400

You would think if I could find a used one you might be able to find one for 1600 to 1700

That would be VERY tempting

Red Sparkle Jet:

– MadScience

This guitar inspires me! I love it.

This guitar inspires me! I love it.

– BuddyHollywood

You get Dynas, Ebony FB and Sparkle!

And even a bar bridge

I'm currently looking at a Spsrkle that was modified - filters removed and Dynas put in- which is cool because it thus has an Ebony board and Dynas

I'd love to find one of these red sparkles used

Good luck to me

Not holding my breath

There are silver sparkle jets out there that aren't BZ sigs, right?

There are, but they're very different guitars.

BTW, I have the one and oly BZ model that wasn't relic'd.

It has the tint in the clear coat to make the silver look like it's slightly yellowed from age, but there are no scraches or wear marks etc. It's a genuine one of a kind. Put my kids through college and it's yours.

Hey Curt - No Sir. My wife has threatened me with cruel and unusual punishment if I ever sold the BZ Jet. It would also have been a discourtesy to Fred Gretsch, Joe Carducci and other GDP members present at that particular Round-Up. Our previous discussion a few years back about selling it was a moment of weakness for me. – Brian_66

Cool deal Brian but it is your guitar and if you're not using it I'm pretty sure no one would care. Others have unloaded guitars they won and not a peep! -- Curt Wilson

Peep, peep.

I have to confess to being somewhat bothered when someone who wins a guitar at a Roundup turns around and sells it. (My remarks are not intended towards Brian or anyone else at all, but are simply general observations.) I know that the guitar is the winner's property having been rightfully won and all, and that they are free to do with the guitar as they please. There is no disagreement on that.

Perhaps my views are viewed through the prism of being a Roundup organizer, but I see the joy in the eyes of the winner when their name is announced. I also see the unsatiated desire of many others attending the event to have been the lucky winner of the guitar, most of whom because they think that they would really enjoy having the guitar and playing it.

However, when a winner turns around fairly quickly after the event and sells it, it always makes me think that the winner wasn't someone who really appreciated the qualities of the guitar; rather, they appreciated the value that the guitar held. And the thought of an extraordinary Professional Line Gretsch guitar being sold so that someone can put tires on their car, or buy another non-Gretsch guitar, always saddens me. I think that there were so many others at that event who would have loved to have won that guitar, who would have appreciated its qualities, and who would have played it for many years, but, by chance, it went instead to someone who merely saw the guitar as something to trade or sell for something else.

And I also look at it from the perspective of Gretsch Guitars/FMIC. What conceivable benefit did they get from having gifted that guitar? While anyone who knows Joe Carducci knows that he is the most generous head of a guitar company (I know, it is actually Fred Gretsch, but you know what I mean) that one could ever imagine to exist, I also think that there is undoubtedly some sense of satisfaction when one of these gifted guitars is won by someone who will be thrilled with the instrument, and who will show it to others, brag on it a bit, and otherwise enthusiastically spread the Gretsch Kool-Aid. When someone turns around and offs the won guitar so that they can buy their favorite Gibson, Dusenberg, or PRS, or to put a set of Michelins on their car, I would think that there must be some very, very small corner in the Gretsch/FMIC heart that is disappointed in the decision.

I know that I am probably in the very distinct minority here. And, again, I don't debate the owner's right to do with the guitar whatever they want. However, it does slightly bother me.

Since you asked.

Community college? I might be able to swing that.

There are, but they're very different guitars.

BTW, I have the one and oly BZ model that wasn't relic'd.

It has the tint in the clear coat to make the silver look like it's slightly yellowed from age, but there are no scraches or wear marks etc. It's a genuine one of a kind. Put my kids through college and it's yours.

– Billy Zoom

Yea, I think I'm resigned to a run o the mill sparkle

But getting an ebony FB , vintage Dynas (if they turn out to be bona fide) and sparkle is a pretty darn good sub BZ Jet option and it's what I'm looking at

Btw, in college I played Los Angeles a million times in my band and I always got that riff in A wrong, apparently

I loaded the song up in rock smith user DLC and it actually had the right riff

Simple, but for some reason it evaded me

Anybody out there who doesn't have Rocksmith 2014 - get it

And then download free songs on CustomsForge

Beat guitar instructional and play along tool Ever made

I'm teaching my 5 yr old to play guitar and he's just getting good enough where I can introduce him to the program

The arcade games are good in addition to the songs - games for scales, harmonics, chords, slides, etc

It's all there

Red Sparkle Jet:

– MadScience

That's gorgeous. The ebony fretboard OMG.
I'm.......i'm..... I'm gonna do it. Im gonna pull the trigger. Im schemeing (sic). I can sell my hummingbird and Es 135. Wish me luck.

That's gorgeous. The ebony fretboard OMG.
I'm.......i'm..... I'm gonna do it. Im gonna pull the trigger. Im schemeing (sic). I can sell my hummingbird and Es 135. Wish me luck.

– GeorgeCornwell

Do it! Then tell us all about it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation