Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Billy Zoom Jet Wiring

I still dont understand the logic behind this statement?

"Filtertrons like low impedance loads. DeArmonds don't."

I have 500k solid shaft audio taper PUSH PULL pots on the two pup volumes on my powerjet so I could split the powertrons. I do know that the pots basically dont function for the first third of a turn then the volume is just on. regardless why do filtertrons like low impedance loads?

Because humbuckers have two coils in parallel with each other which cuts the impedance in half, but the inductance is really high. This is especially true with filtertrons. That's why they usually sound better plugged into the #2 input jack on a Fender, or when they're plugged into the 15K input of a SpaceEcho. DeArmonds are high impedance single coils and don't like to be loaded down.

It might be more practical to note most humbuckers as having the coils in series.

Most commonly humbuckers are considered to want a higher impedance load vs. single coils.

But this seems to be as much a matter of wanting to preserve the highs as much as possible vs. the arguable actual impedance of the PU.

Chris

Here are the original CTS pots that were in my powerjet 2008. I do not know how to read pot codes. Also I looked them up and down and did not see any value (250k 500k 1mg) just the codes.

Can anyone shed light on what these are?

Hi Billy- My g6129BZT came equipped with all audio taper 1meg pots (knurled split shaft with sleeves no less). Do you know if that was that intentional, or perhaps an oversight by the custom shop, considering you use/prefer linear taper pots for all but the master?

It was laziness. Steven said nobody makes linear taper anymore.

Didn't there used to be a pickup registery here that listed resistance values of Gretsch pickups?

Interesting. I was able to find full size, CTS 1 meg linear taper pots with solid shafts on eBay in a matter of minutes.

hey billy or squirrel... either of you two know the values of the pots I posted in my photos above? no value was listed on the pots that I could see.

hey billy or squirrel... either of you two know the values of the pots I posted in my photos above? no value was listed on the pots that I could see.

– powerjet

It might be that the shortest route to the pot values will be a cheap-o multimeter. I tried to look up the CTS numbers and found nothing useful.

That Beldfoil cable has a really high capacitance. It's made for low-impedance circuits.

As far as I know, none of the reissues have that circuit, nor do any of the Jets have the 2.2K resistor in series with each pickup, shown in this photo.

– Billy Zoom

Who's Godfrey, and where have I seen this before?

It's a Duo Jet tenor. It's a good shot of the pickup resistor.

That Beldfoil cable has a really high capacitance. It's made for low-impedance circuits.

– Billy Zoom

well a low impedance circuit would be best for powertrons if I follow your logic correctly... I just was curious what value the original pots were. I replaced the to pup volume pots with push pull 500k pots. I wonder... if the tow pup pots are 500k but the master volume is 1mg would that make a difference? I want all 3 to be the same value at least correct?

It's a Duo Jet tenor. It's a good shot of the pickup resistor.

Arthur Godfrey was an entertainer in the '50's and ordered a custom tenor Jet; maybe this is his?

Billy- I'm curious, why linear taper pots for the independent volumes and master tone? I understand the advantage to using audio taper on the master volume, especially if using that primarily to adjust levels between lead and rhythm on the same pickup. Do linear taper pots help maintain high end when potting down?

Do you ever adjust the levels on the non-master, independent volume controls? For instance, when you perform "Beyond and Back" live, do you play the opening riff on the neck pickup, with the neck volume control backed off, and then flip the toggle to the bridge pickup, with bridge volume all the way up? All with Master Volume wide open?

I've never tried linear taper pots, and am curious as to how they'd influence the tone with Dynasonics, Thanks! -Geoff

They don't change the tone. They're just a lot easier to use.

Register Sign in to join the conversation