Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Billy Zoom Jet Wiring

Hi Billy,

I've heard you mention that you installed 1 Meg pots in your signature Jet. Did you install them on all the pots, just the volumes and if so did you include the master volume? I just discovered the benefits of 1 Meg pots and I want to bring out the best in my Cat Man Duo Jet.

Thanks!

The Billy Zoom models all have 1 meg pots, just like the original Jets. I prefer an audio taper for the Master Volume, and linear taper for the other three.

I disconnected the individual volume pots on my Jets. Roughly the same load as using 1M pots all around. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of what you can expect.

The sound is much better in Jets with both T-Armonds and TV Classics (in a tone pot circuit). Less necessary in a Filtertron 6120 due to the maple body and lack of tone pot loading.

Filtertrons like low impedance loads. DeArmonds don't.

I'm going to do it and I'm going to follow the recipe. Last night I pulled off one of the G knobs off my Duo Jet and discovered the pots are solid shaft. I have one audio taper solid shaft CTS 1 meg pot ready to go into the master volume. I'm going to get the other 3 solid shaft linear taper pots. I also have a paper in oil capacitor I would like to add to the tone pot. I still have to check the value though.

Thanks Billy for sharing this information. I know it's going to bring out the best in my Jet.

I have searched all over the Food Network's website and cannot find this recipe... Is it published somewhere?

I have searched all over the Food Network's website and cannot find this recipe... Is it published somewhere?

– noiselab

Billy's post in #2.

I couldn't find solid shaft linear pots so I ordered 3 split shaft 1 meg CTS pots today. I made sure the knobs would fit last night.

You can buy pots from Billy

Billy's post in #2.

I couldn't find solid shaft linear pots so I ordered 3 split shaft 1 meg CTS pots today. I made sure the knobs would fit last night.

– BuddyHollywood

Ok, I thought there might be something more definitive with cap values, etc.

I did it! I replaced the pots in my 6128T-DSV Duo Jet with a 1 meg CTS audio pot for the master volume and 3 1 meg CTS linear pots for the two volumes and the tone. I also had a Sprague paper and oil capacitor that I used on the tone knob instead of the original.

I have to admit I was very apprehensive about modding the factory installed electronics for this guitar. I have built guitars and am decent at soldering but for some reason this Jet is my baby and the most expensive guitar I own. I didn't want to mess with it. Friday night after my gig I starting unscrewing one of the control panels and the panel didn't pop out so I took that as a sign. I decided to put the screws back in and sleep on it. On Saturday I plugged in the Jet and decided to go for it. I'm really glad I did. I LOVE IT! The neck pickup is clear and punchy, the bridge pickup is twangy and full and the middle position is still the best. Everything sounds clear, the dynamics are more pronounced and I also noticed an increase in sustain. There is also minimal treble loss when the volumes are lowered. The stock Gretsch Dynasonics sound great. It's like this guitar now goes to 11.

I am now thinking that if Gretsch wired their guitars in the 1950's and 1960's with 1 meg pots this could have a lot to do with why they are so highly regarded. The tone is fantastic.

Filtertrons like low impedance loads. DeArmonds don't.

– Billy Zoom

Would that remain true on a 1961 Guild Starfire with original Dynasonics? What would the ideal harness setup be for maximum reasonance please? All 1 meg ?

Doesn't it already have 1 megs? I had a '62 Starfire, but that was a long time ago and I can't remember.

Doesn't it already have 1 megs? I had a '62 Starfire, but that was a long time ago and I can't remember.

– Billy Zoom

Reads , 1346149 B or 8. A811-3322- All four are the same- I'm not sure if they are all 1 meg or not-

Guilds are usually 500k if I remember correctly.

So then, since its already in the shop, should I have them all upgraded to 1 meg ? Is that the consensus?

So then, since its already in the shop, should I have them all upgraded to 1 meg ? Is that the consensus?

– 949Norm

I've installed 1 meg pots in 2 guitars now and love the results in both so I would say "YES!"

I've realized I like my guitars to produce as much overall frequency as possible to feed into the amp and then adjust the eq at the amp.

The bigger the pots are, the less you hear them.

– Billy Zoom

I remember you saying that you'd had an Amber Starfire, and that you had trouble controlling the feedback with it, don't think I've ever seen an Amber one--OK, "the bigger the pots, the less you hear them"(dynasonic wise)....its 1 meg all around then

The Guild has two volume and two Tone controls, would you recommend all linear 1 Meg's, Or two audio and two linear ?

Digging up an old thread here. But I'm having an issue and was wondering if this might be the solution.

What are the pot values in 1957? Did jets have the same pots as the 6120?

I have a 57 6120 and a 56 Streamliner 6120 Conversion . The conversion has 6120 style wiring and 500k pots. But the master volume pot has a weird taper to the point of being unusable. I turn it down a hair to lower the gain or to lower the volume to play Rhythm and the volume just drops out WAY too much. And I'm trying to figure out if this is due to the pot taper (linear vs log vs audio) or due to the pot value. I want the taper more similar to the 6120.

The '57 Chet models, 6120 & 6121, had that awful tone circuit with the dual pots. I'm not sure what value the stacked pot was.

It's hard to see in that photo, but the bottom pot has two sections and two caps. The guitar in the photo has the top cap bypassed with a piece of bare wire, which made a huge improvement.

As far as I know, none of the reissues have that circuit, nor do any of the Jets have the 2.2K resistor in series with each pickup, shown in this photo.

Sometimes original isn't better.

Register Sign in to join the conversation