Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Billy Zoom guitar setup

Pin the brigge if you're too much of a cissy for screws.
The pickguard was some celluloid-ish plastic sheet that John found somewhere. It was thin though so I put 1/16" clear Plexi over it. It's easy if you have a jig saw. He had it for a few years, but he sweats so much the screws eventually rusted away and it started to fall off and got trashed. It was one of those early Jazz basses with the stacked pots.

Billy, I noticed the early jets like yours have a different style of bigsby with a tension bar, and later jets and reissues do not have it, is there a reason for the change and a benefit one way or the other?

Also, just pulled the trigger on an Embie concepts synchrosonic bridge after your glowing recommendation, comes with the flat screws already

Changing the chords within 3 frets completely altered my performance. Unreal super improvement to my playing.

These are a must.

– Billy Zoom

Mine came in today. Looking forward to installation this weekend.

I have to admit - with the several ringing endorsements of the melita bridge here, I'm intrigued. My only experience with one was on a very briefly owned jet firebird (think it was a 2009 model) a few years back. The stock bridge was a melita. It rattled to the ends of the earth - and out of sheer ignorance, I shelved it and used a tru-arc in it’s place.

I’ve since sold the jet firebird, and picked up a 2011 black duo jet in 2015, (which i armed with a set of TV Jones T-Armonds - filtertron sized, as the orig pickups in the 6128 were filtertrons). Anyway - from the get-go I’ve been using that tru-arc. I like it… but there seems to be a little sustain lacking. I wonder if a good melita would address? I’ve been hesitant because of that previous experience. Perhaps it’s just about gettng every screw nice and tight ? or maybe the flat-head screws address the rattle?

I have to admit - with the several ringing endorsements of the melita bridge here, I'm intrigued. My only experience with one was on a very briefly owned jet firebird (think it was a 2009 model) a few years back. The stock bridge was a melita. It rattled to the ends of the earth - and out of sheer ignorance, I shelved it and used a tru-arc in it’s place.

I’ve since sold the jet firebird, and picked up a 2011 black duo jet in 2015, (which i armed with a set of TV Jones T-Armonds - filtertron sized, as the orig pickups in the 6128 were filtertrons). Anyway - from the get-go I’ve been using that tru-arc. I like it… but there seems to be a little sustain lacking. I wonder if a good melita would address? I’ve been hesitant because of that previous experience. Perhaps it’s just about gettng every screw nice and tight ? or maybe the flat-head screws address the rattle?

– variantboy

You will not get more sustain out of a melita vs. a truarc.

Now that I have my precious 55 Duojet with the obligatory Melita bridge, I need to modify it of course! I want to get rid of the knurled set screws and use some regular flatheads so I can mute strings etc.. Can ANYONE tell me what the thread size and pitch is!??? I have looked on line for days trying to find the answer to this mystery. I went to my local screw suppliers and they were stumped!

BZ has the definitive flat heads and would get them to you. But he's on tour now.

BZ has the definitive flat heads and would get them to you. But he's on tour now.

– GeorgeCornwell

I have 4 I found in my pile of bits , So I put them on the 4 lowest stings which helped a lot.living in Canada also makes things more complicated ordering stuff,and much more expensive ! I'm just surprised no one seems to know or want to say what the specs are.

You will not get more sustain out of a melita vs. a truarc.

– Kap'n

Yes you will.

PM sent Mr Zoom!

Register Sign in to join the conversation