Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Bass Guitar…

Grady Martin…TicTac, left speaker…Solo, right speaker.

Harold Bradley, left speaker. Bob Moore upright, right speaker

Harold Bradley, right speaker. Lightnin’ Chance upright,left speaker

Harold Bradley, left speaker. Bob Moore upright, right speaker

Grady Martin…TicTac, left speaker…Solo, right speaker.

– Billy Zoom

w/ kool fuzz sound.

w/ kool fuzz sound.

– DCBirdMan

Straight into the UA tube board.

BZ, in those instances where the six string bass guitar was not so prominently featured, but was more of a clicking sound, what technique was used by the musician to create that sound? Did they palm mute it? And, where it was played like that, did the six string bass player play the same notes as the upright bass?

BZ, in those instances where the six string bass guitar was not so prominently featured, but was more of a clicking sound, what technique was used by the musician to create that sound? Did they palm mute it? And, where it was played like that, did the six string bass player play the same notes as the upright bass?

– Ric12string

Listen. Use headphones if you can't hear it.

Thin pick, muting + doubling bass?

I'm thinking a thicker pick (like a bass pick) and palm muting. Every now and then there is a little more resonance, as though the player's palm was a little less securely on the string.

There's an echo in some cases, as well.

great post & info bz!!..excellent presentation

cheers

bill pittman dano 6

cheers

I bought the re issued Dan Electro after your comments late last year. It was under $400. Ive been studying the "surf" instrumentals of the early sixties. It’s a really neat instrument. I believe it’s 29.75" scale. It did come tuned E to E.

– Ric12string

I don't understand how you can listen to a stereo recording with Upright Bass in one speaker, and TicTac Bass in the other...and then ask if they're both playing the same part. The answer of course is NO, but really...you can't hear it??

I do realize that it's hard to hear any bass on any L.A. recordings...like Sam Cooke for example. I don't know if it's the low humidity, or the high producers.

Pretty sure this is Rene Hall too :

I don't understand how you can listen to a stereo recording with Upright Bass in one speaker, and TicTac Bass in the other...and then ask if they're both playing the same part. The answer of course is NO, but really...you can't hear it??

– Billy Zoom

That is a bit aggressive there, BZ. Not sure what, if anything, I have ever done that would merit that from you.

Nonetheless, from what I could hear of the recordings as I was driving down the freeway, the tic-tac bass in very few of the recordings was prominent. There were, however, some recordings where the six string electric bass guitar was very prominent such as with the fuzz effect. In those, it was clear to me that what was being played certainly wouldn't have been played on an upright, if there were one in the recording. There were others, however, (and to which I was referring in large measure) where the six string electric bass guitar was not prominent and mostly a clicking type of sound (again -- from what I could hear over the noise on the freeway). In those, in particular, I was not able to hear an upright bass.

I also thought that I had recalled reading somewhere (or perhaps that WB had indicated something in an old thread) where the tic-tac bass was used to add emphasis or clarity to what the upright bass was playing. I could be misrecollecting that, but that is what prompted my question.

And, truth be told, my hearing has diminished, so I don't hear things as clearly as others do.

bob, it really depends on the individual production and arrangement...phil spector would have an upright bass, an electric bass and a tic tac...along with 3 or 4 guitar (6 & 12 string) players...all playing various permutations of the arrangement

very typical for gold star studios, wrecking crew era

carol kaye talks about it all in her book-studio musician

cheers

Register Sign in to join the conversation