On the 'tube

The Honeydripers

Not a fan of Robert Plant's other band but I do like this band he was in. When he's not screaming Janis Joplin's brother or like a cat in a fight for his life, he does sing really well. Just listen -

Plant has a fantastic rockabilly voice. Check out a cut on his "other bands" final album, In Through The Out Door, called Hot Dog. That guitar player ain't bad either, playing a Tele IIRC. Plant does something on Darrell Highham's new album too.

Plant has a fantastic rockabilly voice. Check out a cut on his "other bands" final album, In Through The Out Door, called Hot Dog. That guitar player ain't bad either, playing a Tele IIRC. Plant does something on Darrell Highham's new album too.

– lx

I used to have a Rockpile album but I forgot if he is on singer on it. I got it for Christmas in 1984 I believe. I lost it shortly after so I forgot. I gotta look that up. I believe Rock Pile was Dave Edmunds project but wondering if Plant was on it.

See you can hear the 50s influence in his singing outside of Led Zep. With Led Zep I hear some weird Janis Joplin thing going on and that is not good to my ears. But even though he was in a metal band, is Zep, metal or hard rock?, he obviously like many UK people of the '60s really appreciated the rockabilly scene here from the US. It's obvious in the '70s with The Polecats and so forth, the neo Rockabilly acts, but with the not so obvious like Zep it's true too.

Check him out doing "Duke Of Earl". I am highly impressed. The outside of him, or the long hair and clothing don't scream "good Doo Wop" singer, but listen to the man. Really good. Fallon ain't no singer. Nothing impressive but let's cut him a break because he's not a singer. But Plant shows his true stripes.

By the way, there is a really good American rockabilly act from the '90s and probably still around called The Honey Drippers. I was in contact with the guitarist for a bit back in the early 2000s. Nice guy and always willing to answer guitar and music question.

I have the Honeydripers album on vinyl. Love it!

I was never a big Zep fan, but loved Plant's collaberation album with Alison Krauss, "Raising Sand". Great stuff.

Young boy blues is one of my absolute favourite songs. He/they do a killer job on that. I love the original but the orchestra music really is out of place and stands out like a soar thumb

Register Sign in to join the conversation