Other Amps

Attenuators for playing in the living room.

Hi Billy,

Do you make or recommend a particular attenuator for use with tube amps so I can play in my living room or in a friends apartment? I've got a 15 watt Fender Pro Junior, but as you know, 15 watts is way too loud for a living room.

Do you make anything small? I thought about looking at the Vox AC4 hardwired. Recommendations are welcome. I'll be at NAMM on Friday and Saturday. Hope to chat with you about it at the TV Jones booth.

Dan

Hi, I know I'm not Billy but I have a "Swart Night Light" and I like the job it does.

I tried the Power Soak from Carl's Custom Guitars (found on eBay). It's not doing it for me. The tone on the attack is okay, but I don't like the tone on the sustain.

If you think you'd like to try it, let me know. It was $40 plus shipping. You can have it for a steal.

Note: a Gretsch buddy near me is very happy with the Dr Z Brake Lite

Weber comes highly recommended from most.

I found a guy on Fleabay years ago that made attinuators. He actually lives about 30 miles from me...Link... they work Great!

Weber Mini Mass is a fantastic device. Go read up on that one and you'll understand why. Works exceedingly well.

I have a 300 watt bass amp in my den and no attenuator.

WATCH OUT!!!

+1 for the Mini Mass. I use it with my DRRI and it's great.

That's a mighty rumble coming from Bear's den.

– dbirchett

– dbirchett

8-o What?

Sorry, Had to beat Jeff O to the punch. ;-)

There's always the Billy Zoom Multi-Watt mod that allows you to select the output wattage without changing the tone. At 15watts, you might also be able to get away with just a regular 50watt L-pad. Or, you could plug an amp simulator like a Sansamp or line 6 into your computer and listen through the computer speakers. Or...you could just disconnect the voltage to the screen grids. In most circuits, EL84's will still work without screen voltage, although power from a pair will be a watt or less. Keep in mind though that at any volume below about 93db, it will sound thin to you because your ears aren't linear(Fletcher-Munson curve), so you'll need some kind of loudness circuit to make up for it. My best suggestion would be to move into a much larger house with no close neighbors. Give your wife her own wing. And remember, it's not the size of the amp that counts...it's the size of your mirror.
BZ

I've heard good things about the Weber Mass line but the truth be told I'm never quite sure how quiet is acceptable. I've pretty much given up on achieving good sound or enjoyment at what I'm guessing is "bedroom" volume. The compromise that we have reached in my home is what I refer to as "basement volume" ...they can hear me playing but it's relatively unobstrusive and nothing in the house is shaking. I figuire if I can put up with rap music and "One Direction", they can put up with my bad guitar playing. !#$@%

I use an Aracom PRX-DAG-DAG, which is fantastic. Jeff has a newer attenuator out, too.

Link...

I say go for the "Disconnect the voltage to the screen grids!" 8-o Although it might be easier to move into a bigger house. 8-o I need a bigger mirror!:D

Weber Mini Mass is a fantastic device. Go read up on that one and you'll understand why. Works exceedingly well.

– Bonedaddy

– Bonedaddy

+1

I've never heard an attenuator that doesn't mess the sound up. Get a micro cube.

Not exactly what you asked, but I bought a couple of the 1 watt Marshall 50th anniversary heads: the JMP-1 and the JCM-1. They have a built-in attenuator down to 0.02 watt if 1 watt is too loud (I have a large music room on the back of my house so no issues with sound but I find that the 1 watt is just right for noodling around).

Of course, they sound like Marshall heads so they aren't great for everything. I run them through a 1960A 4X12. Nice tone at a "nice" volume.

brand new at namm13

Link...

cool- multi impedance!

cheers

Very cool - that XLR out is handy.

Weber Mini-Mass. Has a db switch for treble which really makes my ol' Bandmaster sing!

Register Sign in to join the conversation