Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Aspen Pittman…RIP.

Aspen Pittman, founder of Groove Tubes, was one of the first friends I made in California, 50 years ago. We worked together at the original Guitar Center in Hollywood. He was the best salesman I ever met. He was a good guy.

That's sad. I enjoyed his book immensely. He sure had a love of vintage gear.

I have read and re-read the The Tube Amp Book many times! It was one of my "go-to" resources when I worked in music retail (before the world had the internet and you actually had to learn/know stuff).

Very sad. Thanks for posting this news.

I have the book, too.

He made is mark on the world trying to make it better...RIP.

I still have my Tube Amp Book, and it's been a trusted reference. The original Groove Tubes were pretty cool too.

I think I met him at a NAMM show in the 80s, and maybe bought the book directly from him.

I'm sorry to hear he's gone.

I have that book too. Read it until it almost fell apart and learned a lot. Sad news indeed.

Sorry to hear this. I'm thankful for his contributions.

I have two copies of the book, this is sad news. He did a lot to keep tubes in supply for our beloved amps.

My condolences for your loss Billy.

I’ve referenced and respected the man a long time. One of the first guys to commercially grade and match tubes for guitar players creating a brand name.

Unfillable shoes. My condolences BZ.

He got a lot of stick for hyping up his re-branded tubes but there really wasn't anything else available at the time.

My favorite comment from the "Tube Amp Book"...... "The U.S. made Vox amps were nothing like those made in England. How can you tell the difference? If your Vox sounds like a bad Lawrence Welk record, it's U.S. made!"

Not sure if Neil Levang or Buddy Merrill appreciated that.

Just heard yesterday -- he really kept the tube scene in the forefront in somewhat leaner years and the books were / are invaluable. Although I disagree with his statement about Thomas Vox and Lawrence Welk, for that matter, he really did the research, was a staunch tube supporter and advocate (and business person) and I can't disagree with that.

Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your friend, Billy. I have his book as well, and it has been a valuable reference.

Condolences on the loss of your friend, BZ. Honestly had not heard of him, but a quick look around tells me I need to know more.

Aspen was the first person to call Tweed amp covering Tweed. He was also the first person I ever heard say REE-verb.

Condolences for the loss of your good friend, Billy.

His Tube Amp Book has been mt go-to reference for a long time. My copy is getting worn out.......

Grab a copy of this.

– Yavapai

this book was my bible from the day it was available to me, he was legendary. I had a holy moment at NAMM show once with just he and steve vai in that little sound trailer. While I knew he was there to appeal to Steve, they allowed me to sit there and be in their company.

Aspen was the first person to call Tweed amp covering Tweed. He was also the first person I ever heard say REE-verb.

– Billy Zoom

What did they call the 'tweed' covering before, Billy? What's in the catalogues?

How did they pronounce it before REE-verb?

I’ve been made fun of when I say Trem-O-low and not Trema-low.

How did they pronounce it before REE-verb?

I’ve been made fun of when I say Trem-O-low and not Trema-low.

– Charlie Vegas

I think it was Rev-erb.

Register Sign in to join the conversation