Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Ask Billy

Billy, have you converted to Hinduism? Or was that a guitar pick stuck to the middle of your forehead at last nights show in Huntsville?

Billy, have you converted to Hinduism? Or was that a guitar pick stuck to the middle of your forehead at last nights show in Huntsville?

– Gregory_Pecarry

Pickuism.

Actually he’s Christian but he can answer your question. Not sure what that pick is you are referring to.

That's where I keep it when I'm playing sax.

X puts on one of the best shows I've ever seen!

– Setzer

And you get to hear songs they didn't normally play live before, like Please Come Back To Me, which just goes over incredibly well.

– Setzer

X puts on one of the best shows, I agree. Add Brian Setzer Orchestra and The Stray Cats to that’s list.

X puts on one of the best shows, I agree. Add Brian Setzer Orchestra and The Stray Cats to that’s list.

– ThePolecats

And the Belmont Playboys!

That's where I keep it when I'm playing sax.

– Billy Zoom

What is your favorite pick?

Ive seen X 10 times and its always been a ripper. Even when Jesse Dayton filled in, he tore it up

What do you remember about the Freddie Blassie Pencil Neck Geek (‘75?) recording session?

• How’d you get that gig?

• Did you track rhythm, solo, or both?

• What kind of acoustic guitar did you use for that session—and was there a specific reason why you chose it?

• What were your thoughts about the track when you first heard the idea?

• Did you take part in writing any of the music, or where you strictly a hired gun?

I'm not sure I'm even on it. Martin hired my band to play on it, but I was already hip to Rollin'Rock sessions, so we demanded to get the $25 before we cut any keeper tracks. He couldn't come up with it, so we packed up and left. They may have used some practice takes, I don't know. I think any acoustic guitar would have been Martin (Johnny Legend). The covers were already being printed with my name on them. Anything done at Rollin'Rock was always a ripoff for the musicians.

Saw X at Graceland with Violent Femmes Thursday night. Really enjoyed your sax playing and creative pick placement again. Have you tried out that giant saxaphone the guy with Violent Femmes had?

It seemed to be in the tuba range, the band and slam dancing in the audience took on a hybrid punk / polka atmosphere. They were interesting, I wasn't very familiar with them before. Fun show.

I really wanted to try it, and Blaise was very willing, but they had a bus and we had two vans. We never got to the venue until after their soundcheck was over.

“New York’s alright..... if you like saxophones!”

Saw X at Graceland with Violent Femmes Thursday night. Really enjoyed your sax playing and creative pick placement again. Have you tried out that giant saxaphone the guy with Violent Femmes had?

It seemed to be in the tuba range, the band and slam dancing in the audience took on a hybrid punk / polka atmosphere. They were interesting, I wasn't very familiar with them before. Fun show.

– Gregory_Pecarry

Broke my glasses in the mosh pit at a Femmes show in '91.

Billy, I have been on a Mosrite kick the past few years and wondering if you have ever played a Mosrite? If so, what do you think of them? About 15 years ago I was at your shop and I asked you about Jazzmasters and you said you didn't care for them. Makes me curious about your thoughts on Mosrites. Thanks

Some of them are wonderful...some of them aren't.

Hi Billy, I saw X in Chicago recently (great show) and couldn't suss out which model Gretsch you were playing that night, but from other photos and videos I've seen of this tour, it seems like your #1 this time around.
It looked like a custom model but I wasn't sure which. I did like the split maple flame figuring under the deep burgundy stain. Fierce tones too.

Godspeed, stay healthy, - E

– Billy Zoom

Thanks for sharing the detailed photo. Gorgeous!

reverse eddie'd, as you always said was the better way!!...i agree!

nice

cheers

Register Sign in to join the conversation