Billy Zoom's Jet Set

Affirmation of the G6129BZ

I acquired my BZ by circumstances of fate. I was a brand new guitar player just scratching the surface of the world of Gretsch. When I first saw this guitar in Nashville, I didn't know what it was or who X was. And I know there are some fine guitar players out there that were, or probably still are, shaking their heads that this guitar is in my hands.

But here's the deal. I can play it MUCH better than when I first started. And I often go and try other pro line Gretsch guitars and, with the exception of a 6119HT, none of them came close to feeling or sounding good as the BZ. Maybe that's just a personal preference at this point.

Another affirmation that the BZ may be the "grail" guitar was when another Silver Jet owner tried it at the recent Gretsch Round Up and commented on how nice the neck was compared to his MIJ neck. I would have never known that!

So anyway, this BZ guitar is still in the hands of someone who doesn't understand it's true value and plays it no where near its potential. I thought about selling it to some of the GDP folks here who could better appreciate it or put it to better use. I've tried out for 5 different bands since I acquired this guitar and got rejected by all of them.

But here's the deal, I really enjoy playing this guitar in the closet when nobody can hear me but me and my maker. So between that, and the occasional Gretsch Round Up, I'd say I'm playing this guitar as well as I can and hopefully getting better.

Brian, you should never feel that you shouldn't be playing a guitar because of its value. Secondly, I don't know anyone who feels bad you won it, that's crazy talk. Everyone I know was / is thrilled you won it so lighten up Francis. Also, necks are what they are, they either fit your hand or they don't. I've passed on many guitars because they don't feel right, enjoy it.

What Curt said.

95% of the things I have, I use only a portion of their potential.

Think computer, smartphone, education, cookware, power tools, motorcycle...and of course guitar, amp, and pedals.

Still, I enjoy "no excuses" quality where the limitation is "me", not the thing.

I'd happily own and play your BZ (which is why I keep trying to talk you into a trade). :)

Long road trip with the family and smart phone made for a long rambling post.

But those things have been on my mind and now I got them out.

Guitars like that make me practice more. My Jet is helping me to become a better player because I feel that it deserves to be played better.

As usual, Curt hit the nail smack dab on the head. Enjoy the guitar and let it continue to inspire you to improve your playing. Even the greatest players will tell you that they continue to learn new things and techniques all of the time.

Brother....enjoy that awesome guitar! Don't let ANYONE (including yourself) tell you that you don't deserve to own and play it. The nicer the guitar, the more you practice from what I've observed.

I've definitely played a lot more since getting my 6120 years ago. Someday I hope to work my way up to being decent........... :P

I was delighted when you won that guitar. I know what you're saying about it feeling like a millstone around your neck - I used to feel like that with some of the gear I own but don't stress.

It will take time before you get to the point where you're good enough to do certain things but guess what? You won't be good enough to do other things that you need to do and when you learn those things etc. etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that guitar is all about life-long learning. The fact that you've been rejected by bands and keep coming back sounds to me like a huge positive. You've got heart. Take it step by step but never stop walking. You'll never get to the end but you'll learn a lot on the way.

One of my buddies is jealous I won a Rancher Jumbo, he says it's not whether he feels I deserve it or not, he just really likes that model guitar. So, he told me yesterday, he looked online and found every giveaway he could, and entered.

I'm a rank beginner like yourself, there's nothing wrong with getting such a great instrument. It inspires you to practice and when it sounds off, you can't blame the guitar. I'm just jealous because, when those guitars first came out, I could have bought one and I didn't. now there scarcer than hen's teeth because who would want to part with theirs.

Yeah, I guess my main point of the overly long initial post was that I didn't understand really how nice of a guitar this was. But as time goes on, I can start to see that.

Dangerousman, who were you at Nashville Round Up 2009?

In time you'll reffer to it as "my precious!" :D

Good musician don´t need good gear to play well, this great guitars models like the BZ is, are designed specially for those like you and me aren´t too much gifted, it is a kinda way God has to compensate:D, really don´t care play it and enjoy

Brian, name your favorite guitarist. Then consider the fact that, at one point in his guitar-playing career, his level of playing was the same as your current level. In other words, think of this as a journey that we are all on. Some started earlier than we did and some are coming along after us. Some move along quicker or slower than we do, but we are all moving along this journey of learning together.

I say enjoy that guitar of yours. You deserve to have fine things, and the G6129BZ is definitely something fine.

I think you're in a good place. I'm tired of hearing guitarists talk about how great they are. The only way to get better is to be honest with yourself about your shortcomings and put in the time it takes to overcome them.

And don't sweat the auditions. I'm very experienced and was rejected by the last three bands I auditioned for. It can be nerve-wracking and all of your preparation can just go out the window in an instant. When you find the band that's the right fit, you'll know it and so will they.

the level of yor skills playing are irelevant. The performer is more important than the sound in most cases. I know a guy who had his left hand fingers chopped off and sewed back on. he can barely play because his fingers dont bend anymore. but i love to listen to him perform because hes a show man. enjoy what you have and if the stars alained for you to have it then hold on to it tightly.....esp when your near nj bob8-) have fun!

Aw man Brian. You have no need to feel apologetic for having such a fantastic guitar. Have fun with it! :) That's what counts. As for feeling "unworthy' to play it - I'll let you in on a little secret. I've been playing guitar for 33 years (with part of that time spent as the lead guitarist in various bands). I've had people make unsolicited comments to me, that I'm a good player. But guess what? To this day, I'm reminded in various ways, that there are players out there (for instance, GDP member Mainsoda at a Fred & Joe Show 3 years ago) who can eat me for breakfast playing-wise! Oh well, such is life. I'm sure that will always be the case. I'll just keep on doing my thing.

Keep on doing your thing Brian, and have fun with you Zoom Jet! :)

Everyone makes great points!

Im not a good player either, but i noticed once i started buying nice guitars like Ric 330 and a Country Club my playing improved quite a but.

So enjoy that beautiful sparkly piece of greatness!

I am in the same boat as you. I am a decent guitar player but have an extremely long way to go before I feel like I could keep up with my brother, some of my friends or other well known players who inspire me. It took me a while to convince myself it was OK to buy a Duo Jet and once I did I felt the double edged sword feeling of loving to play it but feeling like I didn't deserve it. Now that I've had it only a few months I can already tell I'm improving on certain things that were harder to play in the past. I sold a Fender Strat to help purchase it after I realized the neck on it was wrong for me. I could only play it for a short time before my hands started cramping up. How was I supposed to get any better if it hurt to play?

Another thing about my guitar and probably your Jet is that as soon as you plug in and strum an A chord it is already sonic Heaven. As soon as I hear the tone coming from the amp I know I made the right decision.

Don't sell your BZ Jet. It is yours. You will grow into it just as I will!

...well...unless you sell it to me cheap enough I can afford to have Curt put a proper unbeatup finish on it.

If you know you are not playing it to its full potential, then you do know its value - the pleasure you get from it. Sell it and you'll have a serious case of seller's remorse.

I'm more of a closet player myself and could question my need or "right" to keep my guitars as well. But I don't. I play and enjoy them. That's what matters. You're very fortunate to have won such a nice guitar; make the most of it!

BTW - Sorry I arrived so late at Balto-DC. Would have liked to have seen you and the BZ. You may recall showing me your Black Rose last year. That, too, is a keeper 8-).

I think you're in a good place. I'm tired of hearing guitarists talk about how great they are. The only way to get better is to be honest with yourself about your shortcomings and put in the time it takes to overcome them.

And don't sweat the auditions. I'm very experienced and was rejected by the last three bands I auditioned for. It can be nerve-wracking and all of your preparation can just go out the window in an instant. When you find the band that's the right fit, you'll know it and so will they.

– seadevil

– seadevil

I agree with this, also me too i´ve been rejected by two bands this year, i still playing as happy i was before to be rejected, by the way the two Bands aren´t end up off the ground I've found these all lazy guys so why waist my time? i´m learning how to get thru groove from my DAW, soon i will not need a band to play :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation