Billy Zoom's Jet Set

51 years ago

Nice... Looks like yer playing a Harmony Bobkat series-- model H15 to be more precise...

At first glance I thought it was a pic of Buddy Holly!

Nice one Billy. Funnily enough I've just met up again with a bass player I last saw 51 years ago. The last gig we played together was in the salubrious surroundings of The Oriental Club in Dingle, the (ahem) pretty part of Liverpool. Turns out that he has been living about 20 miles from me for the past 30 years and we never knew.

It's clear that your interest in amps goes back that far.

Happy anniversery.....

Hay, we had that same lamp in my house...

That's a cool pic, man. What kind of music were you playing then? Was it clean or did you like some dirt even back in the day? Is that when you met up with Gene V.? That does seem to be an impressive set up fer a youngster.

Nice amps! Bassman and Concert - good "student" amps.

happy anniversary !

you've got a couple of years on me. I started playing in '66.

That's a great picture, Billy. I'll agree with the other guys in that you had some pretty impressive gear for a starter. Sometimes we don't realize how far we have come until we look back to where we started.

Early birthday present?

Wow. I wasn't born until october that year, and I'm OLD!

I'd already been playing for 10 years at that point.

Classic! Should I say congratulations?

No, you should just wonder why I'm not better by now.

Is that the same fender concert amp that you were playing in the live footage from Decline ?

I got my tickets for the Houston show btw.. Glad y'all coming to town..

I used to use my early 1965 acoustic guitar church gig picture as my avatar before the "crash". It's on the XP computer, didn't move forward to the tablet.

I love all your "gear".

And the comment about lack of improvement...I say that a lot.

I was -9 years old but my spirit was watching you!!! I even messed around with those bongos to the right and you never knew it!!!

fancy amps for a kid! Nice!

Great pix. I remember that was right about when the black panel fenders came out and then the 'old' browns and whites were uncool. Lots of them were painted black! But to be honest, in that time and for a few years after, at least where I was, Fender amps had no particular appeal... only the badass lookin' piggybacks caught on and guys were just as happy to have an Ampeg Gemini VI as a Fender Pro Reverb.

You must have lived back east. I don't think any of us knew what an Ampeg was back then. No, that's not the same Concert Amp. The one in the photo was stolen in 1971 and I later got another one.

The angle of that shot makes you taller than Lurch.

Were you in a working band at that time?

I bet you rattled the those french doors!

You must have lived back east. I don't think any of us knew what an Ampeg was back then. No, that's not the same Concert Amp. The one in the photo was stolen in 1971 and I later got another one.

– Billy Zoom

Yes, grew up two towns away from Linden, NJ where Ampeg was in the 60s, and they were tied in to the whole NYC accordion scene also. Founder Everett Hull lived in my town and I met him in around '68. Blue checked Ampegs were pretty much the stuff to have. My first good amp in '66 was a Reverbrocket II and B-15s were the standard for bass... for some reason Guild Thunderbass amps (about the same specs as a piggyback Bassman) were also the hot lick around then for bass. But sure the California scene was all Fender.

Register Sign in to join the conversation